PDA

View Full Version : F-plug Compression Type

Cheeseman
08-05-16, 21:40
Hi,

I'm currently installing a new sat system. The connectors I'm intending to use outside are the water proof compression type, see bellow:
http://s7g3.scene7.com/is/image//ae235?src=ae235/46242_P&$prodImageMedium$
I have an old type Quad LNB that doesn't have a weather shield and my question is this. Do i need to use 'boots' with this type of connector and if so are all boots designed to fit both screw and compresstion F-plugs? Also, would you advise that I use silicon grease?

Thanks in advance

sandiego69
09-05-16, 08:26
Short answer is 'no'.

Some people like belt and braces but I have found over the last 5 years that boots are not really necessary.

Cheeseman
09-05-16, 08:30
Thank you, would you use silicon grease?

twol
09-05-16, 09:12
Perhaps if this is a "new" system you should change the LNB .... they also have a habit of declining over years :)

Cheeseman
09-05-16, 13:52
Hi Twol,

Sorry, it's not quite a brand new installation more of a new installation/configuration. The LNB's I'm using will be for 19.2 & 13.0 so they are more for interest than main viewing. If it all works ok I may change them in the future.
Would you use silicon grease or do you think it won't make much difference?

Many thanks

twol
09-05-16, 15:01
Hi Twol,

Sorry, it's not quite a brand new installation more of a new installation/configuration. The LNB's I'm using will be for 19.2 & 13.0 so they are more for interest than main viewing. If it all works ok I may change them in the future.
Would you use silicon grease or do you think it won't make much difference?

Many thanks
Usually, I have only used the tape that warms as you stretch and seals tight onto the fittings but your new connectors should be fine.... but if in doubt :)
My recents LNB's all have the plastic shield that pulls down and in my environment that is very useful.

Larry-G
09-05-16, 18:35
Short answer is 'no'.

Some people like belt and braces but I have found over the last 5 years that boots are not really necessary.

It may not be necessary but it could overtime prevent water ingress into the coax and ultimately prevent damage to the receiver it self. At a bare minimum a little self amalgamating tape will go a long way to weather sealing your kit.

manicscrewdriver
12-05-16, 16:48
Providing they are a good quality connector like Cablecom they should be ok on their own, although if you are concerned, just wrap some amalgamating tape around each connector sealing against the thread on the lnb, the connector and a small section of the cable.

If you are intending to malg each connection screw the first one on and then malg it before going on to the next. If you try and malg each one up when they are all connected you will find it near on impossible to get a good seal :D