PDA

View Full Version : Channel update not finding any hotbird channels - help please

theo
02-01-11, 12:06
When I do a channel update using my Vu-Duo I dont find any on Hotbird. What's happened?

I scanned Astra 28 - no problems. I scanned Astra 19 - no problems. I scanned Hotbird - no channels.

To update Hotbird channel list I set receiver to a Hotbird FTA shopping channel. It was fine, as were other Hotbird channels (so I know my auto-diseq switch is okay, its switching satellites as it should). But a full scan didnt find any channels, it just cleared out the old channel list, so now my Hotbird channel list is empty. Help!

canthackit
02-01-11, 13:35
hello and welcome to the forum, wrong place for your first post but we'll forgive you ;)

we need more info on your setup....like.

what sats?
what method?
what files?

how did you do the intial setup of satellites?

then we can help you.

regards: canthackit

theo
02-01-11, 14:16
I have an advanced set-up using a static dish with several lnb's working through multi-diseq switches. It's worked well for over a year, im in no doubt the diseq switches are working as they should, and that the receiver is handling them properly.

The problem occurs when I try and update the hotbird (and only the hotbird)channel list through the receiver. Ive tried this by going Menu>Setup>ServiceSearching>ManualScan
and selecting TunerA/SingleSatellite/Hotbird/NetworkScan-yes and PressOK to StartScan. Ive done this a million times before, I did it successfully on the astra satellites this morning, basically I know what im doing. But a hotbird scan finds nothing.

Just to repeat what I said in my first post, prior to commencing update I tuned to a FTA hotbird channel which was working fine as were all other hotbird channel. So to summarise, diseq-switches are ok, LNB for Hotbird is okay as is the signal strength (I checked this).

When this happened 10 years ago it was because the receiver memory was full. But I dont think thats the issue here, especially as ive been operating this setup for over a year. But I cant figure out what the problem is

Larry-G
02-01-11, 14:22
first thing i'd do is load a updated satellites.xml file with hotbird included, then do a rescan.

canthackit
02-01-11, 16:30
also as silly as it might sound try all connections particularly the coaxal's

Larry-G
02-01-11, 16:32

agreed it's often the simplest of things that go wrong and they are very seldom checked for failures.

theo
02-01-11, 20:04
first thing i'd do is load a updated satellites.xml file with hotbird included, then do a rescan.

Which is the satellite.xml file?

-I did an FTP using DCC but couldnt find it.

-In the channel list uploaded from VuDuo to my PC there is a file simply called 'satellite'. Is this the .xml file? Well, using DreamboxEdit I reinstalled some of my old Channel Lists (and therefore a different 'satellite' file). I then tried an update of the Hotbird list via receiver but same problem - no channels found

Larry-G
02-01-11, 20:31
the satellites.xml file is located in
/etc/tuxbox on your receiver
you can generate a new one here.

http://www.satellites-xml.eu/

theo
02-01-11, 20:33

I dont know why you suggest it might be the coaxials - I was watching Hotbird channels immediately prior to attempting channel update which strongly suggests coaxials are fine.

As it stands I reinstalled an old channel list and I now have working Hotbird channels on my Receiver again. But Iam back to square one - I have a Hotbird channel list on my receive which is out of date, but I cant update it.

There is an excellent program at w w w.dreamset-editor.com - this allows one to download the channel list directly from KingofSat over the internet, so its very uptodate. I would like to integrate this with my own Channel List/Bouquets&Favourites which I created with dreamboxedit, but ive found it just too complicated, there are too many files, files with different names I dont know where I am.

So I am back to the beginning. What do I do? Please dont say I have to reinstall the image. Anyway, what on earth is causing the problem, I would like to figure that out first.

basilyoung
02-01-11, 20:44
Hello Theo,
as you have hotbird working, via your old channel list, its clear, that you can recieve 13 east, by "complex dish set up", I assume its a cascaded diasque set up,

can you see 13 east via satfinder??
and can you scan 13 east now that you have your old listing reinstalled?
also, it might help if you post your tuner config, so we can look at it
baz

theo
02-01-11, 21:40
the satellites.xml file is located in on your receiver
you can generate a new one here.

http://www.satellites-xml.eu/

Thanks for that Phoenix. Im now downloading an updated Hotbird Channel list. I figure that my xml file was corrupted for sometime. I wonder how that happened. That xml generator is great.

Hello Theo,
as you have hotbird working, via your old channel list, its clear, that you can recieve 13 east, by "complex dish set up", I assume its a cascaded diasque set up,

can you see 13 east via satfinder??
and can you scan 13 east now that you have your old listing reinstalled?
also, it might help if you post your tuner config, so we can look at it
baz

Hi Baz, Happy New Year. Yes, its a cascade setup with 16 lnbs feeding into 4 multi-diseq switches which feed into 1 Spaun ?multi-diseq switch which feeds into the receiver. I was dreading setting it up, but it really wasnt that bad, it was quite easy actually, and to date its never gone wrong or mulfunctioned.

Thanks to everyone for their help.