PDA

View Full Version : Best box for around £100 ?

Beanz
28-04-16, 16:58
Hi all,

My dads TM Nano OE has for some reason stopped picking up any signal so am assuming the tuner is dead. I've got it at my house to test with my setup and get exactly the same signal issues.
So he needs a replacement but doesn't need a massive amount of features, single tuner is fine with no internal hard disk. He has a wifi dongle which worked fine with the OE (Ferguson i think) so a standard enigma 2 that supports the standard plugins for ease of use etc, Auto Bouquets is a help, but on the shop side of the site there are several with similar spec for the same sort of price, so any hints on which is better? For eg the TM Nano SE Plus, the VU+ Zero, miracle box premium micro etc.

Thanks.

Willmoore
28-04-16, 17:10
Edision mini (I've set up several of these)- cracking little box with built in WiFi. 2 year warranty and excellent back up from the manufacturers (according to the boss of this forum). Decent remote also.

abu baniaz
28-04-16, 17:12
Don't scrap the Nano. You can use it with RCSC/Fallback tuner.

joysleep1
28-04-16, 17:13
Edision mini (I've set up several of these)- cracking little box with built in WiFi. 2 year warranty and excellent back up from the manufacturers (according to the boss of this forum). Decent remote also.

The remote is OK. I would say VU remote is far superior.

No1gooner
28-04-16, 17:30
Just ordered two Edision mini's for myself the reviews seem very positive.

Andy_Hazza
28-04-16, 17:34
Hi all,

My dads TM Nano OE has for some reason stopped picking up any signal so am assuming the tuner is dead. I've got it at my house to test with my setup and get exactly the same signal issues.
So he needs a replacement but doesn't need a massive amount of features, single tuner is fine with no internal hard disk. He has a wifi dongle which worked fine with the OE (Ferguson i think) so a standard enigma 2 that supports the standard plugins for ease of use etc, Auto Bouquets is a help, but on the shop side of the site there are several with similar spec for the same sort of price, so any hints on which is better? For eg the TM Nano SE Plus, the VU+ Zero, miracle box premium micro etc.

Thanks.

Is it the tuner? Maybe his dish or lnb or cabling that has turned flakey.

den310
28-04-16, 17:35
Very tempted by the Edison myself, very good value it seems to be.

Andy_Hazza
28-04-16, 17:54
Very tempted by the Edison myself, very good value it seems to be.

Yeah its defo a good starter receiver to get. Just a shame no internal hdd option, I'm sure they will release a model with that option eventually to cater for everybody's needs.

Willmoore
28-04-16, 18:12
Yeah its defo a good starter receiver to get. Just a shame no internal hdd option, I'm sure they will release a model with that option eventually to cater for everybody's needs.
I'm surprised too. They are missing out on sales but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

iain66
28-04-16, 18:12
I have eddison mini combo and its an excellent box

Willmoore
28-04-16, 18:14
The remote is OK. I would say VU remote is far superior.
Like i said - decent remote. The VU is far better quality but I actually prefer the layout of the Edision.

Beanz
28-04-16, 18:40
Is it the tuner? Maybe his dish or lnb or cabling that has turned flakey.
Yeah like I said I've since bought it to my house and hooked up to my dish which works fine when connected to my receiver and get the same symptoms.
Thanks all I'll have a look at the Edision too, and at that other tuner..

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Beanz
28-04-16, 21:01
Sorry can i ask if Fallback Tuner is a plugin or if it is part of OpenVix or similar firmwares ?? Have disabled the tuner but then went through the menus looking for it and no sign, was gonna see if it was compatible with my own Alien 2 so then when my dads is back up and running this box could maybe go in a bedroom, Thanks,

abu baniaz
28-04-16, 21:17
No, you can't ask!:eek:

Fallback tuner is part of the image. You can use the tuner of the host receiver. You will find it in the Customise menu.
Menu > Setup > System > Customise > Enable fallback remote receiver

RSCS is a plugin. Works in a similar way. This may be better for you.

Fallback uses the bouquets on client receiver. As you do not have a working tuner, you cannot use ABM. You will have to keep your bouquets updated.
RSCS downloads the bouquets from the host receiver, so that makes it better in that regard.

Make sure your host receivers has a static/fixed IP addresses.

kryton
28-04-16, 23:26
Ive just got the edision mini for a friend and i am well impressed with it for £79. Wish i had bought 1 for my bedroom before buying the vu zero.

psykix
29-04-16, 08:48
Ive just got the edision mini for a friend and i am well impressed with it for £79. Wish i had bought 1 for my bedroom before buying the vu zero.

Why do you prefer it to the Vu Zero?

kryton
29-04-16, 12:12
Why do you prefer it to the Vu Zero?
Firstly price...£20 less but the quality of it feels better to me.
The remote is good and well mapped out, i always found the VU remote was a bit unresponsive and lagged a bit, so much so that i now control the Zero through my tv's HDMI.

i prefer the front panel display.
speed wise and picture quality i would say they are more or less the same.
on the whole i just think its a better built receiver than the Zero with a lower price tag.

psykix
29-04-16, 13:38
Firstly price...£20 less but the quality of it feels better to me.
The remote is good and well mapped out, i always found the VU remote was a bit unresponsive and lagged a bit, so much so that i now control the Zero through my tv's HDMI.

i prefer the front panel display.
speed wise and picture quality i would say they are more or less the same.
on the whole i just think its a better built receiver than the Zero with a lower price tag.

Thanks - always good to hear another point of view. I'm looking at getting a receiver to go with my Vu+ Solo 4k, so nice to hear other opinions :-)

Beanz
29-04-16, 14:15
Thanks for all the input, i ordered the Edision Mini this morning so will have a look at that on Tues.

Anybody able to offer some more input on Fallback.. I've disabled the tuner and enabled the 2 fallback settings in customise adding the master box IP, do i just need to copy across the Lame.db file from that now or are there any others ?? Is it just a case if frequencies change to copy that over to update the client or is there more to it ??

Thanks

johnviv
29-04-16, 20:14
Yep editionos mini £79 or go for twin tuner £99 fantastic little box

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

johnviv
29-04-16, 20:15
Sorry should be edison os mini

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No1gooner
29-04-16, 20:29
Received my edision os mini's today and am very impressed great boxes for the price! Just one question does anyone know what the red light is for on the front display panel?

abu baniaz
29-04-16, 21:02
@Beanz,

Option 1.

Use Dreamset/E-channelizer to save your bouquets from master receiver. Then send them to client receiver.

Option 2.

Use Bouquet editor in open webif. On master receiver, export the settings (save to PC).

On client receiver, use reverse prcoess. I.E import the bouquets

Option 3

Use the remote channel stream converter plugin, This will import the bouquets from the host receiver. You dont have to worry about bouquets on the client receiiver.

scottmcmullan8
06-05-16, 11:39
On the mini - how does it record on USB, just as seamless as recording to an internal HDD?

Secondly if I have an external HDD connected through USB can I just use this for recording?

Thanks

imish
06-05-16, 12:43
RSCS is a plugin. Works in a similar way. This may be better for you.

Do you mean remote channel stream converter?

abu baniaz
06-05-16, 12:58
yes. I will edit posts later. thanks for correction.

imish
06-05-16, 21:06
yes. I will edit posts later. thanks for correction.

no worries - apologies to the OP for the thread hijack - can setup a fresh one if needed.

my slave box doesn't have a sat feed connected to it, I have the RCSC plugin installed and that connects to the host and works really well, why do I need the fallback tuner setting to point to the host? not clear on what its functionality is.....can you clarify.

thanks

abu baniaz
06-05-16, 21:15
They are two different options although work in a very similar way. You only need one of them if you are using a receiver with no signal wire.

Fallback tuner: You need to have bouquets/lamedb on client receiver.
RCSC: It will import the bouquets from the host receiver

imish
06-05-16, 21:41
They are two different options although work in a very similar way. You only need one of them if you are using a receiver with no signal wire.

Fallback tuner: You need to have bouquets/lamedb on client receiver.
RCSC: It will import the bouquets from the host receiver

right got it

silly question - is there an easy way (maybe use a file from the host box) to get the bouquets on a box configured as fallback only (as a bouquet search will not work without an active signal).

secondly - with fallback mode - is the slave box aware of the timers on the host box so as to avoid timer clashes & tuner availability

abu baniaz
07-05-16, 03:05
silly question - is there an easy way (maybe use a file from the host box) to get the bouquets on a box configured as fallback only (as a bouquet search will not work without an active signal).

Answered that already. IMO, simplest way is to use webinterface, bouquet editor.
Host Receiver: Use export to save the bouquets
Client Receiver: Use import and select the the ones you had exported.

As previously mentioned, with RCSC, you don't have to mess around with this. You can redownload the bouquets using your remote control

secondly - with fallback mode - is the slave box aware of the timers on the host box so as to avoid timer clashes & tuner availability
It is pot luck, even for viewing.

I believe there is a remote timer plugin. You set the timers and recordings on the host receiver. Others may be able to assist better with this option as well as epg.

judge
07-05-16, 03:22
depending on the amount of fallback/remote boxes you have, one can be better than the other.
Fallback tuner = 1 fallback box.
RCSC = multiple fallback boxes.

twol
07-05-16, 06:39
Judge is correct about more fallback options for rcsc but I find the fallback tuner option simpler.
When I change the bouquets on my main box I just write the bouquets back to all my receivers in one write with Echannelizer - so I update, read them, modify and write back to all ..... takes. 5 minutes max and all receivers look exactly the same and see exactly the same bouquets.

mrxbox360
15-05-16, 23:22
I recently bought this from the site supporters shop for a customer of mine & i was very impressed - one small criticism was instilling the hdd was a pain in the rear.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Technomate-Linux-HD-Receivers/Technomate-TM-Nano-SE-Plus