PDA

View Full Version : [MB Premium Twin+ Plus] EPG Help please

GarretJax
22-04-16, 18:46
Ok one of a number of questions I have concerning the EPG management.

When I hit the EPG button on the remote I get the GraphicalEPG grid which currently seems to default to the "Last Scanned" bouquet.

When I press the Fav button I see a screen with 2 entries which are "Favourites(TV)" at the top and "Last Scanned" below it.

Why does the EPG display the "Last Scanned" list?

At one stage I deleted the entire "Last Scanned" bouquet. Then when I pressed the EPG button it automatically brought up the "Favourites(TV)" bouquet.

There doesn't appear to be much logic to this. It's obviously not just displaying the top bouquet in the list (since Last Scanned was at the bottom) so what logic is it using please?

Ultimately I want to create ONLY 2 bouquets, one with TV channels and one with Radio channels. Then I want the EPG button to automatically default to the TV bouquet. How can I configure the EPG button to bring up ONE specific bouquet please?

Sicilian
22-04-16, 18:49
See Autobouquetsmaker guide http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/video-guides/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarretJax
22-04-16, 18:54
Autobouquet just creates a lot of separate channel groups doesn't it? So if I ran that, when I press my EPG button won't I just see a menu of bouquet groups rather than see an actual EPG grid?

Aside from that I tried to run ABM and got the typical "Timeout for Tuner Lock" message that so many others seems to have experienced.

GarretJax
22-04-16, 19:43
Just for clarification, I have 3 DVB-C/T2 tuners in the box. All 3 are configured as DVB-T2. I have the Tuner inputs looped at the back of the box thus:

Tuner A IN - aerial source connected
Tuner A OUT - Connected to Tuner B IN
Tuner B OUT - Connected to Tuner C IN

Anyone have any ideas why I get the "Timeout for Tuner Lock" when trying to run ABM? There is nothing recording when I try to do a scan.

abu baniaz
22-04-16, 20:03
1. Can you upload the lamedb file that was generated when you did the last non-ABM scan. You will nned to zip it before you attach it. You will find the file in /etc/enigma2/
2. ABM also "acquires" channel data. It does not just create bouquets.
3. Can you read this thread and attech the debug log that results after an execution of ABM.
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44783-ABM-support-questions

4. Which is you local mast/transmitter?
5. EPG = Synopsis.
If you want to see the bouquets/list of channels, press the TV button.

GarretJax
22-04-16, 20:19
2. ABM also "acquires" channel data. It does not just create bouquets.

Slightly confused now.

Are you suggesting that when the box is first set up, I should not do a basic Automatic Scan but instead go straight to an ABM scan?

abu baniaz
22-04-16, 20:37
Slightly confused now.

Are you suggesting that when the box is first set up, I should not do a basic Automatic Scan but instead go straight to an ABM scan?
Yes. Why do both? Where did you read that you have to perform a conventional scan before using ABM?

Still awaiting your attachments.

GarretJax
22-04-16, 20:53
My box is brand new. It automatically ran the setup Wizard which asked if I wanted to do a scan. It's the logical, sensible and obvious thing any owner of any TV digi box would do. If doing that basic scan stops something like ABM from working then there is surely something not right.

I'm really not convinced I want ABM. I don't want a ton of separate groups (News, Documentaries etc).

I just want ONE list of channels which I can order the way I want and I want the EPG button to bring up that list by default. That surely can't be difficult can it?

abu baniaz
22-04-16, 20:59
In ABM, you can set it to make main bouquet, but say no to sections.

You do not have to use ABM. Tuning parameters for terrestrial do not change very often. What you have to do with regards to making your bouquet/list was posted in your other thread.

When you press EPG, you activate the EPG system. The EPG system dispays the channels based on the bouquet/list from which you selected the channel. If you do not accept the difference between the two, you will struggle and keep chasing shadows.

Downlaod E-Channlizer/Dreamset or Dreamboxedit to use on your PC. They will alow you to make your bouquet/list.

GarretJax
22-04-16, 21:21
When you press EPG, you activate the EPG system. The EPG system dispays the channels based on the bouquet/list from which you selected the channel.

This is like chicken and egg. The idea of an EPG is to be the medium from which one selects a channel to watch.

You're saying that first you have to select a channel (from somewhere else, Favs, bouquets etc) and then the EPG will base itself on the list of channels in that specific bouquet used?

Seems back to front to me but whatever.

Ok for now I am going to forget about ABM. I am simply going to re-order the "Last Scanned" list so it is how I want it. Do you foresee any issues with me doing this?

abu baniaz
22-04-16, 21:36
I am simply going to re-order the "Last Scanned" list so it is how I want it. Do you foresee any issues with me doing this?
The pitfall of doing this was pointed out to you in your other thread. You should make your own bouquet instead of using a system bouquet. Anyway, you know best. Good luck!

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?48142-EPG-Screens-and-Navigation&p=375531&viewfull=1#post375531

GarretJax
22-04-16, 21:50
The pitfall of doing this was pointed out to you in your other thread. You should make your own bouquet instead of using a system bouquet. Anyway, you know best. Good luck!

No problem with that, I can make a custom bouquet. Once done would there be any issues with deleting the "Last Scanned" bouquet ?

abu baniaz
22-04-16, 22:01
Once done would there be any issues with deleting the "Last Scanned" bouquet ?
Last scanned is a system bouquet. It will come back if you delete it.

GarretJax
22-04-16, 22:15
I already experimented with deleting "Last Scanned" bouquet. EPG then switched to using Favourites(TV) which was empty at that point.
When I did another Automatic Scan the "Last Scanned" bouquet DID NOT come back. Had to do a Factory Reset to get it back.

Anyway I will have a play and doubtless come back to you. Appreciate the help, thanks.

GarretJax
23-04-16, 11:55
I would just like to point out that I have done a Factory Reset on my box, and when the setup wizard ran I opted NOT to perform an Automatic Scan.
Once the wizard was complete I then went to ABM to perform an ABM scan and got the same message that tons of other users seem to have experienced:

"Timeout for Tuner Lock"

There is clearly something not right here. When you search for that error message in Google you get a lot of forums and posts all complaining about the same issue.

My tuners are all fine, I get the same signal from each one and if I do an Automatic Scan it finds all the Freeview channels without a problem.

What is the real issue with ABM and why do so many people get this "Timeout for Tuner Lock" error?

If ABM doesn't work after a factory reset what hope is there?

Sicilian
23-04-16, 12:15
What exactly is your tuner setup and how exactly are they connected right now? Please provide a photo of your connections to tuners.

I've got a Twin+ as my test box and never once experienced a timeout.

GarretJax
23-04-16, 13:28
What exactly is your tuner setup and how exactly are they connected right now? Please provide a photo of your connections to tuners.

I've got a Twin+ as my test box and never once experienced a timeout.

Hi Sicilian

The 3 tuners are arranged in my box from left to right numbered 1,2,3 as you look at the back.

My single aerial source lead is plugged into Tuner 1 IN at top left (not indicated in diagram below sorry)

I then have 2 loop through wires connected. One connects Tuner 1 OUT to Tuner 2 IN, the other connects Tuner 2 OUT to Tuner 3 IN

There is nothing attached to Tuner 3 OUT.

This picture explains:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2d0eu83.png

If this is the wrong way to connect please advise as it seemed logical to me.

Sicilian
23-04-16, 13:35
So to confirm 3x satellite tuners. What are each individual tuner settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarretJax
23-04-16, 13:35
FYI. I have read in the various other forums concerning this common error message, that if one source signal fails then all signals fail for the ABM scan.

I live in a area where I get my primary signal from the Emley Moor transmitter but unfortunately I also get much weaker signals from another transmitter.

When I do a standard Automatic Scan it picks up ALL these various channels (every TV box I have ever had does the same). It is then a matter of manually going in and deleting the lesser channels which are all o the same few channel numbers. This isn't an issue for me.

Is it possible that the ABM scan is running into these signals from the other transmitter and failing to get enough signal to process them and thereby failing the entire scan?

With the standard scans you can scan manually and specify the channels to scan. I could use that to just scan in the Emley Moor channels. The ABM on the other hand appears to have no options for manually selecting the channels to scan, it's all or nothing.

GarretJax
23-04-16, 13:36
So to confirm 3x satellite tuners. What are each individual tuner settings?

All 3 tuners are configured as DVB-T2 (note Terrestrial not satellite)

abu baniaz
23-04-16, 13:47
The tuner configuration (hardware) is fine. Hopefully your software confguration is fine too.

You are jumping around between approaches. You are missing guidance/instructions given to you and not answering questions. People are willing to help, but you have to co-operate. I shall repeat some of the intructions/unanswered questions. Please respond to all of them even if you think they are pointless.

1. What is you local mast/transmitter?
You can obtain the details here:

http://www.ukfree.tv/extras/settings

EDIT: (emley moor)

2. Perform a non-ABM scan. Attach the lamedb file to the post. You will have to zip the file before attaching it. lamedb file will be found in /etc/enigma2/

3. Enable debug logs. Restart receiver to activate this.
See here: http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44783-ABM-support-questions

4. Run ABM.

5. Attach the debug log that is generated after the run of ABM to this thread. Default location is /home/root/logs/

6. Set tuners B&C as "nothing connected", rerun ABM. Does it succeed?

7. Attach debug log after second run of ABM in point 6.

GarretJax
23-04-16, 14:04
Abu you take too much for granted I'm afraid.

This is a new box freshly set up. It is not connected to a PC or network and in all honesty it should not be necessary for me to do so to get a basic organised EPG up and running. So I can't currently send you the files you ask for.

As per my previous post my local transmitter is Emley Moor

I have enabled debug mode and re-run the scan.

The significant parts of the log appear to be these:

[Manager]Loading Settings...
[BouquetsReader] Reading lamedb
[BouquetsReader] Read 10 transponders and 209 services
[Manager] Settings Loaded
[AutoBouquetsMaker] searching for tuner for Freeview (UK)
[AutoBouquetsMaker] Search NIM
[AutoBouquetsMaker] Nim found on slot id 2
[AutoBouquetsMaker] Fixed dish. Will wait up to 10 seconds
[AutoBouquetsMaker] TUNING
lots of the above then
[AutoBouquetsMaker] FAILED
lots of the above
[AutoBouquetsMaker] Timeout for tuner lock

The line that mentions "Fixed dish" seems to suggest it thinks this is Satellite and not Freeview, or is that a standard message?

GarretJax
23-04-16, 14:08
My Settings for ABM are as follows:

Schedule Scan - no
Keep all non-ABM bouquets - yes
Add provider . . - no
Place bouquets at - top
Skip services on not configured sets - yes
Include "not indexed' channels - no
Extra debug - no
Show in extensions - no

GarretJax
23-04-16, 14:10
ABM Providers shows

Freeview(UK) - yes
- Freeview area - Sheffield
- FTA only - no
- main bouquet - yes
- sections bouquets - yes
- HD bouquet - yes
- FTA bouquet - no
- FTAHD bouquet - no

Saorview - no

GarretJax
23-04-16, 14:16
Just seen the "logs manager" section of the settings and in there I see an enigma2_crash log dated yesterday. Don't know if that is relevant to the problem. I have Factory Reset since then.

abu baniaz
23-04-16, 14:19
The line that mentions "Fixed dish" seems to suggest it thinks this is Satellite and not Freeview, or is that a standard message?
Standard message if not motorised dish.

Your issue is not EPG. EPG will populate automtically for Freeview as soon as you tune to a channel.

You will have to manually create your bouquets using the remote control. When you are able to upload the files, issue with ABM can be looked at.

Note: Result of test 6 still pending.

abu baniaz
23-04-16, 14:21
ABM Providers shows

Freeview(UK) - yes
- Freeview area - Sheffield
- FTA only - no
- main bouquet - yes
- sections bouquets - yes
- HD bouquet - yes
- FTA bouquet - no
- FTAHD bouquet - no

Saorview - no

Your transmitter is Emley Moor. You are using Sheffield.

GarretJax
23-04-16, 14:24
Your transmitter is Emley Moor. You are using Sheffield.

Yes I told you that twice already !

abu baniaz
23-04-16, 14:28
You see nothing wrong with telling the receiver to use details for Sheffiled when you should be using Emley Moor?

GarretJax
23-04-16, 14:32
6. Set tuners B&C as "nothing connected", rerun ABM. Does it succeed?

Tuners B&C set to "nothing connected" - ABM Scan still times out

Physically unplugged cables to B&C - ABM Scan still times out

GarretJax
23-04-16, 14:34
You see nothing wrong with telling the receiver to use details for Sheffiled when you should be using Emley Moor?

My bad. I assumed Sheffield WAS Emley Moor as that's the transmitter covering Sheffield. Updating setting hold tight . . .

GarretJax
23-04-16, 14:39
ok success :cool:

When I originally flipped through the list, which is labelled Freeview Area not Freeview Transmitter I saw Sheffield first and figured that was correct.

I suggest that needs to be labelled as "Transmitter" to be clear.

The description when you are on that box states:

"This option allows you to choose what region of the country you live in, so it populates the correct channels for your region"

ABM has now successfully run thank you.

adm
23-04-16, 14:51
Yes I told you that twice already !

The point being raised is that Sheffield and Emley Moor are two different transmitters.

You state that your local transmitter is Emely Moor but you have configured AutoBoquetMaker for something different

While both may cover Sheffield the Sheffield transmitter has limited coverage in many areas outside of the city centre and the Emley Moor transmitter may be the one for your exact location.

While the transmitter coverage maps from Freeview should be read with some degree of scepticism the coverage can bee seen from the two following links

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Emley_Moor_(U)
https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Tapton_Hill

abu baniaz
23-04-16, 14:55
Reconnect your cables, reset your tuners.

Change the following options to following and rerun ABM.

- sections bouquets - no
- HD bouquet - no

This will result in you having only one bouquet.

GarretJax
23-04-16, 15:12
The point being raised is that Sheffield and Emley Moor are two different transmitters.

Well aware of that adm, but as explained in the previous post, the VIX menu option was asking for my "Freeview Area" not my "Freeview Transmitter" and that was underpinned by the description displayed beneath that box which states:

"This option allows you to choose what region of the country you live in, so it populates the correct channels for your region"

Thus it is NOT asking for your transmitter.

That's a cosmetic mistake/typo/bug that really needs correcting.

GarretJax
23-04-16, 17:15
Ok final summing up.

I have been able to run ABM and use it as a stepping stone to get what I want as it does the donkey work of sorting channels into logical groups. I have then created my own groups(bouquets) and simply moved channels from the ABM bouquets into my own groups and then sequenced them how I want them. I have then deleted the ABM groups themselves.
I noted that the ABM scan did not create any bouquets with radio stations in so I simply used the "Last Scanned" bouquet and copied the radio channels from there into my own Radio bouquet.

Everything is now as I want it. My EPG has 15 lines (having removed the preview window) which is great and I understand now how the EPG bases itself on the last bouquet that you've used. My issues and problems and suggestions can be summarised as follows:

1. Any twin or more tuner box should ship with loop-thru connecting cables (WOS you can do better!)
2. Any box sold in the UK should (imo) have a proper 3-pin plug attached
3. Vix team need to rename the "Freeview Area" prompt in Providers section to "Freeview Transmitter" and change the description text accordingly
4. Vix team need to provide a setting to govern the amount of TV stream that is maintained by the Timeshift feature instead of it tracking indefinitely.

Other than that all is pretty cool. Picture is excellent.

Thanks for everyone's help