PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Can't rewind timeshift using remote stream/fallback tuner

realdannys
21-04-16, 18:52
Thought it best to make a new, concise thread for this specific issue.

For months now my VU+ Zero has not rewound in timeshift. It pauses and unpauses just fine. As soon as you press rewind it effectively just exits as if you've pressed stop.

This has happened for me on multiple versions of 3.2, 4.0 and now 4.1. I did a fresh flash of 4.1 from USB stick. I've tried with and without settings restore.

Presuming it was the USB stick, i've tried three different sticks and it happens on all. I've tried the sticks as EXT3 and EXT4. I've reformatted and reformatted the sticks. I've tried them as HDD's and as USB sticks.

Having tried all that i'm quite sure its not USB stick related for that reason and because it DID work with the USB stick that its used at one point. In fact at the very start timeshift used to work even when I mounted my Duo2's hard drive to it vis NFS and use that as the timeshift device. That also no longer works, so there must be something else somewhere.

There is no crash, so the only log I can generate is a debug log which is attached here during a session in which I attempted timeshift a few times.

It terms of settings they are default except I have save when channel zap turned to off (so it basically functions exactly like it does on Sky +) and of course the location set to wherever it should be.

I also don't have any plugins installed except the ones that come stock with the images.

Sicilian
21-04-16, 19:08
Menu > Setup > System > Timeshift settings > Do you have timeshift enabled?

realdannys
21-04-16, 19:44
Menu > Setup > System > Timeshift settings > Do you have timeshift enabled?

Yes of course, starts automatically after 10 seconds. But even without it automatically starting it should still work when you press pause, then un-pause and try to rewind (thats the way it works on the Duo 2) the automatic setting isn't "enabling" timeshift, its just making it automatically start recording/caching the channel you're on so you can rewind at any point. In my testing, i'm not even trying to rewind after watching a show for a certain amount of time - i'm trying a much more simple "Pause for a while, un pause, allow to play for a minute or so and try to rewind" It doesn't rewind, it just acts like I pressed play again (eg stutters and carrys on playing).

But yes, of course i've also tried just rewinding in real time as the timeshift should have automatically kicked in, but of course that doesn't work.

Incidentally - rewinding and fast forwarding works fine with recordings streaming from the Duo 2.

I have of course searched the forums and found a few people with a similar bug, but these were years ago and most seem to reside with drivers at the time which shouldn't be affecting me now.

Sicilian
21-04-16, 19:53
Using a stick or actual usb hdd? I'd recommend using hdd, initialised by receiver to ext4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realdannys
21-04-16, 21:25
Using a stick or actual usb hdd? I'd recommend using hdd, initialised by receiver to ext4.

I said 3 different sticks in the first post.

Id rather not use a HDD just for timeshift if possible, especially as it was working just fine with a stick originally. I doubt i've got any spare spinning disks either and id rather use SSD so its silent anyway. I think i've got a spare SSD laying around I could use to test. Anything a bit more substantial/advanced to try though as I'm pretty sure its not the media in question.

Sicilian
21-04-16, 21:30
Use a SSD or hdd. Sticks don't cope with data required for timeshift, had similar with other boxes.

realdannys
22-04-16, 12:45
Use a SSD or hdd. Sticks don't cope with data required for timeshit, had similar with other boxes.

Right, well for arguments sake I just tried it with a 2TB hard drive and exactly the same happens - as I said, its nothing to do with the media in question, there is something wrong somewhere in the code - but how to fix it??

abu baniaz
22-04-16, 13:10
Can you just confirm something, are you using the Zero with no signal wire and using fallback tuner?

birdman
22-04-16, 13:52
Presuming it was the USB stick, i've tried three different sticks and it happens on all. I've tried the sticks as EXT3 and EXT4. I've reformatted and reformatted the sticks. I've tried them as HDD's and as USB sticks.A USB stick is a USB stick - you can't make it an HDD. Mounting it as /media/hdd is just a Rose by Any Other Name.

There is no crash, so the only log I can generate is a debug log which is attached here during a session in which I attempted timeshift a few times. That log ends with a Segmentation fault. That's a crash to me (but no crash log).

If I pause live TV, wait 30s, start playing and then move back it all works. That's of little help to you, but it doe smean that I can see what a "working" log looks like.

Your logs contains a lot of these:

< 225.521> [eMPEGStreamInformation::getLastFrame] - no data (yet?)
< 225.522> [eDVBTSTools] calcEnd [@ML] m_streaminfo.getLastFrame failed, fallbackwhich is odd. Particularly when combined with entries like this:

DVBTSTools] findFramee getStructureEntryFirst failed
< 1187.900> [eDVBChannel] frame skipping failed, reverting to byte-skipping
< 1187.901> [eDVBChannel] we are at 18446744073709027472, and we try to find the iframe here:That number is where it thinks it is within the file it is playing (your timeshift file). That is about the maximum size of an unsgined 64-bit integer (I doubt that you have a 16EB file). (It's actually 524143 short of the max or -524144 if signed).
So it's totally lost about the state of your timeshift file.

realdannys
22-04-16, 16:57
Can you just confirm something, are you using the Zero with no signal wire and using fallback tuner?

Thats correct Abu.

realdannys
22-04-16, 17:00
A USB stick is a USB stick - you can't make it an HDD. Mounting it as /media/hdd is just a Rose by Any Other Name.

That log ends with a Segmentation fault. That's a crash to me (but no crash log).

If I pause live TV, wait 30s, start playing and then move back it all works. That's of little help to you, but it doe smean that I can see what a "working" log looks like.

Your logs contains a lot of these:
which is odd. Particularly when combined with entries like this:
That number is where it thinks it is within the file it is playing (your timeshift file). That is about the maximum size of an unsgined 64-bit integer (I doubt that you have a 16EB file). (It's actually 524143 short of the max or -524144 if signed).
So it's totally lost about the state of your timeshift file.

Thanks Birdman, some useful input on things there. I am yes aware naming the USB stick as /media/hdd doesn't make it behave like a hard disk - I'm laying out all the ways its been mounted, just in case someone comes along with the daft suggestion "try it mounted as /media/hdd" which was probably coming next.

What you describe is exactly what i'm trying to do and its obviously not working as you can see - but yeah no actual crash log generated (and no error messages) so this is all from debug. The question now is why is it losing the state of the timeshift file and what is causing that to happen (and who can we report that to, to actually fix? Because it obviously shouldn't be doing that, and it is for some reason or another)

Huevos
22-04-16, 19:20
even without it automatically starting it should still work when you press pause, then un-pause and try to rewindNo. If timeshift is not auto you cannot rewind to a point before when you first pressed the pause button.

birdman
22-04-16, 20:26
What you describe is exactly what i'm trying to do and its obviously not working as you can see - but yeah no actual crash log generated (and no error messages) so this is all from debug.However, from what I can see in the log it does actually crash. The GUI restarts - is that correct?

The question now is why is it losing the state of the timeshift file and what is causing that to happen (and who can we report that to, to actually fix? Because it obviously shouldn't be doing that, and it is for some reason or another)Well, you have reported it, but being able to fix it depends on it being reproducible by someone who can.
I don't have a fallback tuner (and only have a vague idea of what that might be).

DaMacFunkin
23-04-16, 06:42
Just to add to this, i have a box with its own hard drive running on remote stream channel converter and i had to disable timeshift on it, trying to use timeshift caused the box to freeze and crash as though it was trying to use the hard drive of the source box, even though timeshift was set to internal mounted hard drive, providing the box with it's own feed immediately stopped this from happening.

birdman
23-04-16, 09:22
Well, I can see something which may get us closer to finding the source of the problem.

When you initiate the rewind your log shows:

< 225.322> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward -8
< 225.323> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward setting cue skipmode to -8
< 225.324> [eMPEGStreamInformation::getLastFrame] - no data (yet?)
< 225.325> [eDVBTSTools] calcEnd [@ML] m_streaminfo.getLastFrame failed, fallback
< 225.326> [eDVBChannel] skipmode ratio is -720000:90000, bitrate is -1 bit/s
< 225.327> [eDVBChannel] resolved to: -524288 524288

(have you changed the FF/FR settings - I go through x2, x4 before I get to x8?).
Whereas I get

< 274.904> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward setting cue skipmode to -2
< 274.905> [eDVBChannel] skipmode ratio is -180000:90000, bitrate is 4130631 bit/s
< 274.905> [eDVBChannel] resolved to: -636788 524288

You don't seem to have a bitrate set.

realdannys
23-04-16, 12:59
No. If timeshift is not auto you cannot rewind to a point before when you first pressed the pause button.

At no point in my description did I suggest you can - I do understand how timeshift works. You should be able to rewind back to the point you paused though - that is what I cannot do.

realdannys
23-04-16, 13:01
Well, I can see something which may get us closer to finding the source of the problem.

When you initiate the rewind your log shows:

(have you changed the FF/FR settings - I go through x2, x4 before I get to x8?).
Whereas I get

You don't seem to have a bitrate set.

Hey Birdman,

To address some of your previous questions - no there's no actual crash or restart when I press rewind. It acts like I just press played again, sort of skips a little bit then carries on playing real time. The fallback tuner setting just means when it can't tune in to anything on the channel it starts streaming from the box you put in the customise settings (eg my box with the actual tuners on)

So RE the bitrate - where and how do we fix this? If its not something I can hack into the information somewhere then it appears you've found the bug - streaming from the fallback tuner is not setting the bitrate. However it did used to work at some point back on 3.2 about 5-6 months ago. I wish I knew which update caused it to stop working.

I thought you'd cracked there Birdman - I had indeed changed my initial speeds to from x2 to x8 as I found x2 and x4 too slow. I've just set it back to x2 for both again, but no luck - same problem (presumably with bit rate) happens again.

abu baniaz
23-04-16, 13:04
I don't think any of the testers have tried timeshift on a remote stream/fallback tuner.

realdannys
23-04-16, 13:15
I don't think any of the testers have tried timeshift on a remote stream/fallback tuner.

Surely if this happened on all boxes lots of people would have noticed by now though - I would have thought a lot of people with the VU+ Zero are using it as a tuner-less second box in bedrooms etc?

Its beginning to look more and more likely that this was broken at some point during development and no one noticed I guess.

realdannys
23-04-16, 13:18
Just to show, I tried it at x2 speed, and same bitrate error as Birdman found in debug log.

< 165.905> [ActionMap] InfobarSeekActionsPTS seekBack
< 165.907> [eDVBServicePlay] timeshift
< 165.909> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward -2
< 165.910> [eDVBServicePlay] setFastForward setting cue skipmode to -2
< 165.911> [eMPEGStreamInformation::getLastFrame] - no data (yet?)
< 165.912> [eDVBTSTools] calcEnd [@ML] m_streaminfo.getLastFrame failed, fallback
< 165.913> [eDVBChannel] skipmode ratio is -180000:90000, bitrate is -1 bit/s
< 165.914> [eDVBChannel] resolved to: -524288 524288
< 165.915> [eDVBChannel] flush pvr
< 165.917> [eFilePushThread] waiting for pause
< 165.918> [eFilePushThread] PAUSED
< 165.955> [eDVBAudio0] AUDIO_CLEAR_BUFFER ok
< 165.999> [eDVBVideo0] VIDEO_CLEAR_BUFFER ok
< 166.011> [eDVBChannel] done
tion] getStructureEntryFirst failed because file size is zero
< 166.012> [eDVBTSTools] findFramee getStructureEntryFirst failed
< 166.013> [eTSMPEGDecoder] decoder state: trickmode, vpid=1644, apid=1645
< 166.014> [eDVBChannel] we are at 18446744073709027472, and we try to find the iframe here:
< 166.016> [eDVBAudio0] AUDIO_STOP getStructureEntryFirst failed because file size is zero

abu baniaz
23-04-16, 13:31
Do you have statistics of how many people use fallback tuner/remote stream for timeshift? We don't. Even then, how many use the Zero in that way. Secondly, the segmentation fault is usually driver related.

It will need to be tested. We do our testing/modification for free. It is a hobby. The attitude with which you are posting is not endearing. Please review the way your posts come across.

realdannys
23-04-16, 13:47
Just for a final test I did a complete restore, no settings, fresh download flash of 4.1. Initialised USB device from scratch, set up timeshift, added remote channel streamer plugin (for speed, instead of fallback tuner) and imported one bouquet. Tuned to BBC 1 and tested. Same result. So can confirm, this is a repeatable bug with streaming channels at least on the VU+ Zero.

realdannys
23-04-16, 15:06
Do you have statistics of how many people use fallback tuner/remote stream for timeshift? We don't. Even then, how many use the Zero in that way. Secondly, the segmentation fault is usually driver related.

It will need to be tested. We do our testing/modification for free. It is a hobby. The attitude with which you are posting is not endearing. Please review the way your posts come across.

The comment about streaming wasn't supposed to be argumentative - literally an observation that i'd have thought there would be other people streaming channels on the VU+ Zero being as its basically made to be a second room box and that maybe there was some specifically wrong with either my box, or with a setting. But yes you could say I arrived at my wits end with the silly bugs I was experiencing (and the grief I was getting in the ear from the wife for the corrupt EPG) so I was going to take exception to some fool suggesting its "user error" when its quite obvious i'm spending my time logging and reporting actual bugs here that others haven't which could only help the community in the long run. I appreciate there is no money in the scene which is part of the problem that it is just an amateur hobby, but world-of-sat are selling the boxes and offering little to no support afterwards.

As someone who runs linux web based servers, bug reports for Apple and has 15 years of working with the terminal in unix based systems, it is quite an annoyance when someone suggests something that is quite obvious to anyone who knows how unix systems works isn't going to have an impact on the issue. And yes I understand there will be a number of newbies that come along and do something so you have to start with call centre levels of obvious support at times, but lets assume if they're posting debug logs and have exhausted every reasonable cause of action they're not this sort of user and are actually trying to log a repeatable bug.

That being said at least something has been discovered here - though it may be as someone alluded to a driver issue - in which case, how can we report it to presumably VU themselves. It may well be worth be testing other images too, though I can't say I had any luck with Blackhole - there is no fallback tuner option in their image (and not a single person on the forum even bothered to answer if you could add it when asking so they really don't seem the most clued up) - I could test other groups images for the sake of bug testing though.

abu baniaz
23-04-16, 15:10
The source files for the image is opensource and hosted on Github. Feel free to submit fixes.

twol
23-04-16, 16:20
The comment about streaming wasn't supposed to be argumentative - literally an observation that i'd have thought there would be other people streaming channels on the VU+ Zero being as its basically made to be a second room box and that maybe there was some specifically wrong with either my box, or with a setting. But yes you could say I arrived at my wits end with the silly bugs I was experiencing (and the grief I was getting in the ear from the wife for the corrupt EPG) so I was going to take exception to some fool suggesting its "user error" when its quite obvious i'm spending my time logging and reporting actual bugs here that others haven't which could only help the community in the long run. I appreciate there is no money in the scene which is part of the problem that it is just an amateur hobby, but world-of-sat are selling the boxes and offering little to no support afterwards.

As someone who runs linux web based servers, bug reports for Apple and has 15 years of working with the terminal in unix based systems, it is quite an annoyance when someone suggests something that is quite obvious to anyone who knows how unix systems works isn't going to have an impact on the issue. And yes I understand there will be a number of newbies that come along and do something so you have to start with call centre levels of obvious support at times, but lets assume if they're posting debug logs and have exhausted every reasonable cause of action they're not this sort of user and are actually trying to log a repeatable bug.

That being said at least something has been discovered here - though it may be as someone alluded to a driver issue - in which case, how can we report it to presumably VU themselves. It may well be worth be testing other images too, though I can't say I had any luck with Blackhole - there is no fallback tuner option in their image (and not a single person on the forum even bothered to answer if you could add it when asking so they really don't seem the most clued up) - I could test other groups images for the sake of bug testing though.
I use fallback tuner a lot ... but NOT normally timeshift!!
OK having been prompted to try this on my boxes, have to say its not another ( :) ) VU+ driver issue, happens on my both ET8500 and Wetek (sorry guys), both are at latest (as of last night) OpenViX and OE-A including ViX Dev.
The Wetek hangs immediately after pause wait 15 secs and play(OK - not a big deal, it has a USB for files!) but with the ET8500 (which has a HDD) you hit pause, wait 15 secs, press play and it goes into a replay loop of about 1 sec's video/audio .. pressing FF to try and get out of the loop puts it into a dead stop and E2 hang .... power off/on is the only way out ... no crash logs.

I can try the ET7500 but its so close in code to the ET8500 I expect the same .... but will probably try over the weekend :).

twol
23-04-16, 16:28
Surely if this happened on all boxes lots of people would have noticed by now though - I would have thought a lot of people with the VU+ Zero are using it as a tuner-less second box in bedrooms etc?

Its beginning to look more and more likely that this was broken at some point during development and no one noticed I guess.

... but not necessarily with timeshift .... I don't for example :)

although the last 6 months I know I have used it during Wetek testing and don't remember issues, so think your posts have been positive and useful

twol
23-04-16, 17:05
I use fallback tuner a lot ... but NOT normally timeshift!!
OK having been prompted to try this on my boxes, have to say its not another ( :) ) VU+ driver issue, happens on my both ET8500 and Wetek (sorry guys), both are at latest (as of last night) OpenViX and OE-A including ViX Dev.
The Wetek hangs immediately after pause wait 15 secs and play(OK - not a big deal, it has a USB for files!) but with the ET8500 (which has a HDD) you hit pause, wait 15 secs, press play and it goes into a replay loop of about 1 sec's video/audio .. pressing FF to try and get out of the loop puts it into a dead stop and E2 hang .... power off/on is the only way out ... no crash logs.

I can try the ET7500 but its so close in code to the ET8500 I expect the same .... but will probably try over the weekend :).

So on the ET8500 I can get out of the loop by changing channel and cancelling the timeshift :)

birdman
23-04-16, 17:11
That being said at least something has been discovered here - though it may be as someone alluded to a driver issueSeems unlikely, given that rewinding is done in software.

birdman
23-04-16, 17:14
The Wetek hangs immediately after pause wait 15 secs and play(OK - not a big deal, it has a USB for files!) but with the ET8500 (which has a HDD) you hit pause, wait 15 secs, press play and it goes into a replay loop of about 1 sec's video/audio .. pressing FF to try and get out of the loop puts it into a dead stop and E2 hang .... power off/on is the only way out ... no crash logs.If you have a debug log that could be interesting - if you post one please describe the final symptoms and the actions that led to it.

twol
23-04-16, 18:16
If you have a debug log that could be interesting - if you post one please describe the final symptoms and the actions that led to it.
Do it tomorrow when I have some time free, although to me it doesn,t show a lot... but will try a new log at the point after its issued the cancel timeshift msg and is in a "wait state"
Note for Birdman: this image contains the FF/FR endless spinner code

Clabs
23-04-16, 21:58
If you have a debug log that could be interesting - if you post one please describe the final symptoms and the actions that led to it.

Birdman - thanks for looking at this mate - appreciate it.

I am in a similar situation to twol - I use fallback tuner extensively. I have tested with an ET8500 and Vu+ Zero and have attached a debug log from each receiver.

Both receivers are clients to a Vu+ Duo2 and all 3 receivers are on Vix 4.1.003. ET8500 has internal HDD and Zero has USB HDD.

ET8500: Similar results to twol. Pausing and then playing again 20 seconds or so later results in a bit of a loop in playback and eventually box locks up with spinner or just judders around until channel change.

Vu+ Zero: Pretty much identical results to realdannys. Pausing and unpausing works perfectly but as soon as you hit RRW or FFW then you seem to be dumped straight back to live TV

The earlier log is the ET8500.

Hope they are useful but shout if you need anything more.

Thanks again, Mark

birdman
24-04-16, 00:53
Hope they are useful but shout if you need anything more.There doesn't seem to be anything in either log about pausing, which would log a PAUSE key press like this
< 211.262> [InfoBarGenerics] KEY: 164 PAUSE

abu baniaz
24-04-16, 01:39
Hope this helps

abu baniaz
24-04-16, 01:43
Thread title updated from "Can't rewind timeshift." to reflect that this is remote stream/tuner issue. Also changed to Vix Misc as issue affects several boxes.

abu baniaz
24-04-16, 02:15
Previous log was from manbually starting timeshift. This one is with it starting automatically after 20 seconds.

I should also add, that selecting exit timeshift without saving results in a hang (endless spinner). This was on both tests.

birdman
24-04-16, 02:16
Hope this helpsWell - it's very different to the one in #1. It has reports reasonable values for the bitrates.
Did this actually perform as it "should"?

abu baniaz
24-04-16, 02:23
The stopping stage did not respond as it should. However, the TM's have an issue recognising EoF, so that could be a factor.

I was able to rewind, ffwd.

psykix
24-04-16, 09:40

I have to disagree with your comment about World Of Satellite. I had reason to avail myself of their after sales support last week, and they were nothing short of accommodating. Stef in particular went out of his way to ensure I was happy.

I'm watching this thread with interest though, as I am toying with the idea of getting a VU+ Zero myself, and using it without a feed, but connecting to my Solo 4k. Having young kids means the ability to timeshift is quite handy for when I have to go be referee and split up their fights or attend their needs!

Clabs
24-04-16, 10:57
There doesn't seem to be anything in either log about pausing, which would log a PAUSE key press like this

That is strange because I paused and unpaused a few times during those logs. Anyway, here is another longer log (from the Zero) that should hopefully be more useful:

twol
24-04-16, 11:33
So basically the debug log broken down into 4 steps but gradually growing and saved via Fiilezilla
log1 boot up playing BBC1 HD
log2 (log1) plus press play/pause wait 20 secs press play/pause
log3 (log1 + log2) plus change to fallback tuner
log4 (log1+log2+log3) plus press play/pause wait 20secs press play pause wait 10 secs press channel up kill timeshift press channel down (back to BBC1 HD)

You can clearly see the play pause key in log2 and log4 and subsequent actions

Enjoy hopefully :)

realdannys
24-04-16, 15:40
... but not necessarily with timeshift .... I don't for example :)

although the last 6 months I know I have used it during Wetek testing and don't remember issues, so think your posts have been positive and useful

Thanks Twol. To be honest I don't really use timeshift much either - in fact I barely watch TV! haha, I just like the technology and happen to noticed it suddenly stopped working a few months ago. Although the VU+ Zero does behave a lot better than your boxes thankfully. I can pause and it behaves just like the VU+ Duo2 does with timeshift, which is the same for everyone, it pauses does a bit of a visual skip and glitch as it enters timeshift mode but works fine.

But yeah pause is the main thing I guess really, and at least it pauses and unpauses.

One thing I will add rewind and fast forward works perfectly on non live streamed content from the Duo2 (eg recordings) so however it reports the bitrate for that is working perfectly and maybe should be emulated?

realdannys
24-04-16, 15:43
The source files for the image is opensource and hosted on Github. Feel free to submit fixes.

More importantly, raise these issues there might be more beneficial? Whats the Github source?

abu baniaz
24-04-16, 16:07
Raising issue on Github won't be beneficial. Which image did it last work properly for you?

Huevos
24-04-16, 16:07
Whats the Github source?https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/df939a32f7f0599b465efe2fe295c25f9d3253a4

realdannys
24-04-16, 20:46
https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/df939a32f7f0599b465efe2fe295c25f9d3253a4

Does this mean we wont even be able to pause from now on though?

Huevos
24-04-16, 22:21
Does this mean we wont even be able to pause from now on though?Please tell us a specific image where timeshift worked while streaming, because as far as we know this has never been an option.

birdman
25-04-16, 02:11
Please tell us a specific image where timeshift worked while streaming, because as far as we know this has never been an option.Errr...it has been an option. People have been using it. That's why this thread exists.

Huevos
25-04-16, 07:48
If it worked before and doesn't now we need to know where that happened.

birdman
25-04-16, 11:52
If it worked before and doesn't now we need to know where that happened.To pull in some quotes from this thread

#1 (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?51374-Can-t-rewind-timeshift-using-remote-stream-fallback-tuner&p=400366&viewfull=1#post400366) realdannys: "This [failing] has happened for me on multiple versions of 3.2, 4.0 and now 4.1."

#26 (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?51374-Can-t-rewind-timeshift-using-remote-stream-fallback-tuner&p=400634&viewfull=1#post400634) twol: "although the last 6 months I know I have used it during Wetek testing and don't remember issues"

So one-all (possibly...).

I'm also trying to think of what is involved. Using a remote tuner (which is actually just streaming from it) means you get what would be the same data as you filter out of a DVB stream (I think). For timeshift you just save this as a recording and then play that back in the same way you play-back a live recording. So it all looks as though it could be possible.

But the indications from the logs are almost as if the timeshift file gets opened, but nothing ever gets written to it?

Related to this (in the way I'm thinking about it) is how timeshift works at all. As has been mentioned in another thread, the ability to limit the length of the timeshift file no longer exists (it did at some point?). So does that mean someone using timeshift who never changes channel (only watches recordings) and never switches off the box ends up with a full-disk?
And if there were some way to limit this file, how would you handle the "circular file" nature of doing so.

psykix
25-04-16, 12:10
Just to throw something else into the pot...

When I was using the Mutant HD2400, if we had it on timeshift, at the end of the programme, the programme would start again from the beginning. It was the wife that noticed it, and asked why they were showing the same episode of Coronation Street again :-p

I've not noticed it on my Solo 4k, but probably haven't had the receiver long enough to notice.

abu baniaz
25-04-16, 12:35
The timeshift feature used to have a maximum length option. When the file split at program change was introduced, that was removed. You are asked what to do on exit (default), usual option is to not save. Normal programs should not be a problem, but when watching events like the Marathon this could be an issue.

Not sure if anyone has tried recording and playing back instead of timeshift. referring to remote service instead of conventional usage.

ccs
25-04-16, 12:53
Just to throw something else into the pot...

When I was using the Mutant HD2400, if we had it on timeshift, at the end of the programme, the programme would start again from the beginning. It was the wife that noticed it, and asked why they were showing the same episode of Coronation Street again :-p

I've not noticed it on my Solo 4k, but probably haven't had the receiver long enough to notice.... there is an option to define what to do when you reach the end of a programme.

I've found that hitting the end of a (timer) recorded programme, using skip or FF, before it has finished recording, can be a bit problematical.
Nothing drastic happens, but I'd need to check to give more details.

twol
25-04-16, 12:59
The timeshift feature used to have a maximum length option. When the file split at program change was introduced, that was removed. You are asked what to do on exit (default), usual option is to not save. Normal programs should not be a problem, but when watching events like the Marathon this could be an issue.

Not sure if anyone has tried recording and playing back instead of timeshift. referring to remote service instead of conventional usage.

have just done so on between my ET8500's using fallback tuner and the recording plays to the end OK

abu baniaz
25-04-16, 13:04
sorry, meant to say record and play at same time. Also go back and forth while it is still recording and playing.

In essence, timeshift by another method.

abu baniaz
25-04-16, 16:33
These are logs from openATV 25/04/2016 Using manually activated timeshift using an RCSC service.

Clabs
25-04-16, 18:12
sorry, meant to say record and play at same time. Also go back and forth while it is still recording and playing.

In essence, timeshift by another method.

I tried to do this just now - Duo2 server to Zero client via Fallback.

A recording appears in the recording list, but when I try and play it, the file is empty. I tried several times and always the same empty files are generated. So - fairly different behaviour than the ET8500.

To summarise what I am experiencing, pause/unpause works perfectly. Whilst paused, the timeshift seekbar appears but none of the info on it changes. Pressing FFW or RRW does nothing. I have attached a couple of debug logs where I paused/unpaused numerous times and also attempted to record and play back. I also experienced a crash when trying to exit timeshift so I have included that too. Hope they are of some use.

Later on, I will hook up the ET8500 again and also a Vu Ultimo and see how they differ. I also plan on flashing a few of the older images from the archive to see if I can find a point where it was working.

Huevos
25-04-16, 18:22
#1 (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?51374-Can-t-rewind-timeshift-using-remote-stream-fallback-tuner&p=400366&viewfull=1#post400366) realdannys: "This [failing] has happened for me on multiple versions of 3.2, 4.0 and now 4.1."

#26 (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?51374-Can-t-rewind-timeshift-using-remote-stream-fallback-tuner&p=400634&viewfull=1#post400634) twol: "although the last 6 months I know I have used it during Wetek testing and don't remember issues"All pretty vague, which is why I am asking.

twol
25-04-16, 19:51
All pretty vague, which is why I am asking.

You are correct - will try an older oe-a 3.2 image and see what happens.... tomorrow :)

abu baniaz
26-04-16, 17:01
Host: LX3
Client: TM 3T Combo
Image on client: ApolloDev 147
Recording to: HDD on TM 3TC
Nothing installed apart from RCSC.

Timeshift started manually. Got spinner as soon as I started TS. This is the oldest image I can find for my test receiver.

Huevos
27-04-16, 13:06

Does this mean we wont even be able to pause from now on though?Not a fault introduced during OpenViX development. It is faulty drivers. As this is out of our hands you are going to have to live with it, or take it up with the manufacturer.

realdannys
27-04-16, 16:53
If it worked before and doesn't now we need to know where that happened.

Sorry Huevos, i've been really busy, but i'll take a look at this. Im going to have to download archive images to figure out when it worked. But I can 100% say it did, up till about November time. I used to be able to use full timeshift either on the USB or on a mounted NFS share with network streaming - the Zero has never had a turner connected to it.

But i'll have to look at the archives and see roughly what was out around early November. If you could give an indication what numbers were released around then i'll download them and test.

realdannys
27-04-16, 16:56

If you mean recording a program you're watching via a stream to either USB or an NFS share - it doesn't work. Ive tried it - it creates the name on the NFS shared box when you you try and play the recording back it fails.

In vague relation to this, the RemoteRecord plugin has been broken since at least 2011, you enter your boxes IP and set it so your client box would trigger and record on your server box and not itself and it triggers the timer event, but its missing vital information (there is a thread here which discusses this already and I forget whats missing but I think its the device path) so the remote record just falls as well. It was a identified then but no one has updated the plugin so I assume its a dead project the original dev no longer touches.

realdannys
27-04-16, 17:03
Secondly, the segmentation fault is usually driver related.

That being said at least something has been discovered here - though it may be as someone alluded to a driver issue

Seems unlikely, given that rewinding is done in software.

Not a fault introduced during OpenViX development. It is faulty drivers. As this is out of our hands you are going to have to live with it, or take it up with the manufacturer.

So which is it Huevos because in this thread alone its been a driver fault, then dismissed as a driver fault and now a driver fault again. Is Timeshift a driver issue or not?? Also play/pause at least works now regardless of whats causing it, so it seems silly to go backwards and take that ability away.

abu baniaz
27-04-16, 17:09
are you trying to suggest play/pause is not timeshift?

Huevos
27-04-16, 17:30
So which is it Huevos because in this thread alone its been a driver fault, then dismissed as a driver fault and now a driver fault again. Is Timeshift a driver issue or not?? Also play/pause at least works now regardless of whats causing it, so it seems silly to go backwards and take that ability away.The problem is everyone in this thread is testing on different STBs and as it is a driver issue across several manufacturers we are getting inconsistent results.

My testing is on Solo2 as the client.
3.2.023 (2015-11-23) is faulty.
3.2.021 (2015-11-03) pauses and plays.
Extract drivers from 021 and insert into 023... and 023 pauses and plays fine.

abu baniaz
27-04-16, 17:58
I hope people appreciate the work gone into tracking this issue. Huevos spent many hours testing images. This is to test a feature that he does not use. Nor any of the testers as far as I know.

realdannys
27-04-16, 21:21
The problem is everyone in this thread is testing on different STBs and as it is a driver issue across several manufacturers we are getting inconsistent results.

My testing is on Solo2 as the client.
3.2.023 (2015-11-23) is faulty.
3.2.021 (2015-11-03) pauses and plays.
Extract drivers from 021 and insert into 023... and 023 pauses and plays fine.

Interesting because my results are the opposite. (well not the exact opposite but) pause and play has always worked on every image i've had (since I got the box) - its rewind and fast forward on timeshift that hasn't worked - although i'll need to test to pin down exactly when it did work for me in the past it DEFINITELY worked at some point. Now only play/pause works.

joysleep1
27-04-16, 21:32
i was hoping timeshift can work using remotestream plug in but it seems like it struggles. My vu solo2 is in the extension room using feeds from my main xtrend receiver. The solo 2 has its own hardrive too. I hit pause on a remote stream channel. It pauses ok but then after a few seconds when you hit play it scrambles up and gets all fuzzy. It struggles to play smoothly. That is also with everything being connected by ethernet cable and my lan speeds are 72mb download and 18mb upload.
I guess i am asking too much for features like that. So it does not really concern me. Video playback files stored on remote hardrive plays fine with no problems tho.

Huevos
27-04-16, 22:26
i was hoping timeshift can work using remotestream plug in but it seems like it struggles. My vu solo2 is in the extension room using feeds from my main xtrend receiver. The solo 2 has its own hardrive too. I hit pause on a remote stream channel. It pauses ok but then after a few seconds when you hit play it scrambles up and gets all fuzzy. It struggles to play smoothly. That is also with everything being connected by ethernet cable and my lan speeds are 72mb download and 18mb upload.
I guess i am asking too much for features like that. So it does not really concern me. Video playback files stored on remote hardrive plays fine with no problems tho.That is Solo2 driver issue too. Got the same here over gigabit lan.

joysleep1
27-04-16, 22:45
That is Solo2 driver issue too. Got the same here over gigabit lan.

but i do not think it is the vu solo2 fault. I just think that would happen with any box. It just seems like there is not enough bandwidth or power or whatever to have this feature working smoothly.
I will try it with my edison box in the living room tomorrow but it will definitely struggle on that too.

Huevos
27-04-16, 23:45
Nothing to do with your flaky lan. The box was streaming fine. It just falls over when you press pause.

The more boxes that are tested the more varied the results will appear due to each and every box using different drivers.

joysleep1
28-04-16, 12:28
Yh it streams fine. But i think it is asking too much for timeshift to work on a remote stream. I have tried this with the hardrive not used as a replacement and hardrive used as a replacement.

realdannys
28-04-16, 17:41
but i do not think it is the vu solo2 fault. I just think that would happen with any box. It just seems like there is not enough bandwidth or power or whatever to have this feature working smoothly.

Its nothing to do with bandwidth at all - gigabit LAN far outweights anything that comes down your Sat Dish, HD streams are 2MB/s, Gigabit Lan can easily handle in the real world about 75MB/s. Hence why streaming recording (and skipping through them minutes at a time with the number buttons) works perfectly over LAN.

@Huevos - I plan to grab a few Oct/Nov 3.2 images for the Zero tonight after the LFC game and see if I can recreate the timeshift again. If I do, i'll be sure to export as much useful data as I can for you and others - debug logs, (video evidence if I get it working again?) but maybe I just wont! Lets see.

abu baniaz
28-04-16, 17:58
@Huevos - I plan to grab a few Oct/Nov 3.2 images for the Zero tonight after the LFC game and see if I can recreate the timeshift again. If I do, i'll be sure to export as much useful data as I can for you and others - debug logs, (video evidence if I get it working again?) but maybe I just wont! Lets see.

Charming !

bbbuk
28-04-16, 20:47
@realdannys, can I make a suggestion?

As you know @Huevos looked into this (spent a lot of time) and has said it's a driver issue therefore can I suggest you try this yourself if you don't think its true and then you would know whether it is/isnt a driver issue.

Looking at VU+ website (http://archive.vuplus.com/download/drivers/), new drivers were released around 17/11/15 and therefore 023 will have contained these drivers but the 021 contained drivers from 23/06/15 (no other drivers were released between these dates).

Therefore, if you flashed with Vix 3.2 021 and extracted drivers from it and then flashed back to the current up-to-date image you're using then replaced drivers in this current image with that from vix 3.2 021.

The drivers can be found in "/lib/modules/3.13.5/extra".

Can I suggest you that put box to sleep (telnet/putty command "init 4") after you have flashed back to current image and before replacing these new drivers with the older ones.

Once done, wake box back up with telnet/putty command "init 6".

realdannys
28-04-16, 22:22
Charming !

Think you misread Abu, I meant "maybe I just wont" as in be able to get in working again like it was before...not "maybe I just won't bother".

Not sure why you appear to be looking to cause trouble with your last 3-4 arsey replies considering everyone is conversing like adults and actually you know, trying to solve bugs that need fixing in an image...i'm not particularly bothered about this feature anymore either, but when you release software, open source or not, you want to fix things if you can.