PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo SE] Upgrade 3.2 to 4.1 advice

myromeo
21-04-16, 12:52
Hello,

I'm trying to update my Vu+Solo SE v2 from 3.2 build 037 to 4.1 build 001, via Image Manager I am able to download the image but when selecting restore it does a backup, 'prepares' the restore then returns to the image manager and has added a new image called imagerestore. It will not install so I think I need to do a USB flash?

Before I do this I want to ask a couple of questions,

1 - will my softcam settings restore from a 3.2 settings backup? I know no advice on these, just a yes or no if you can?
2 - will my timer and autotimer entries restore ok? My wife would go mad if she lost her precious timers!

If both above are a yes i'll crack on with a usb install and restore settings. I'll sort my plugins manually as I only use a couple and have them stored locally.

Thank you in advance!

birdman
21-04-16, 12:56
Hello,

I'm trying to update my Vu+Solo SE v2 from 3.2 build 037 to 4.1 build 001, via Image Manager I am able to download the image but when selecting restore it does a backup, 'prepares' the restore then returns to the image manager and has added a new image called imagerestore. It will not install so I think I need to do a USB flash?Correct. There was a bug in the Image manager in 037. A USB flash should be OK.

dsayers
21-04-16, 12:58
No 4.0 requires a fresh install you can't use settings restore from 3.2 to 4.0 once you have set-up then you can do a settings backup for future 4.0 images

myromeo
Great, thanks, I'll prepare that tonight.

myromeo
No 4.0 requires a fresh install you can't use settings restore from 3.2 to 4.0 once you have set-up then you can do a settings backup for future 4.0 images

will I lose my timers? That would be a real pain to reprogram!

dsayers
21-04-16, 13:03
I'm not sure if thers a way to ftp them to computer then send them back if not then you will if your happy with the image you have ask yourself if you want to update.
I know updates are done for a reason but most of the time you won't notice the difference

Andy_Hazza
21-04-16, 13:06
If you are familiar with ftp then you could save your timers/autotimers files to your pc then upon completing your fresh install you can then copy the timers/autotimers file back on to your receiver.
I'm out at the mo so can't give you the specific path unless someone else can or I can take a look later this evening n post that later for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

myromeo
21-04-16, 13:13
If you are familiar with ftp then you could save your timers/autotimers files to your pc then upon completing your fresh install you can then copy the timers/autotimers file back on to your receiver.
I'm out at the mo so can't give you the specific path unless someone else can or I can take a look later this evening n post that later for ya.

Thanks for that. I'm quite happy with ftp so that's an option for sure! I'll have to remind myself on how to install my other things too. I've had a couple of issues with 3.2 that make it worth updating, main one being occasionally the recordings list will hang and black screen the receiver. Only fix so far has been to delete the recording that causes the hang via ftp, not ideal so I'm hoping this is fixed by a clean install.

2stein
21-04-16, 13:32
well, i thought settings restore worked... only plugins restore didn't.

judge
21-04-16, 14:07
Softcam & timer settings will restore fine.

myromeo
21-04-16, 17:35

Brilliant, thanks for that. Job for this evening, once the tiny person is off to bed as there will be trouble if it interrupts in the night garden! *yawn*

dsayers
21-04-16, 19:14

are you sure? because i was told settings restore won't work for 3.2 to 4.0

ccs
21-04-16, 19:27
Try OpenViX-4-0-Release-thread (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?50870-OpenViX-4-0-Release-thread).

dsayers
21-04-16, 19:45
For the update to 4.0 you can't do a plugin restore, so you might wish to know what you have added in the past, so you can do the same in the future.

myromeo
21-04-16, 20:17
Well I tried and I failed. Tried two different usb sticks, it seems to start, light flashes as described but it doesn't update. Even leaving for 10+ minutes if I reboot it's still old image.

Any ideas?

Andy_Hazza
22-04-16, 06:18
Well I tried and I failed. Tried two different usb sticks, it seems to start, light flashes as described but it doesn't update. Even leaving for 10+ minutes if I reboot it's still old image.

Any ideas?

Couch flash. Blue button > ViX > Image Manager. Within Image Manager press the yellow button (downloads) Highlight the latest image (ViX 4.1-001) and press the green button. After a few minutes when the download is completed, press the red button to close the downloads window and the image you have just downloaded should now be listed. Just highlight it and press the blue button to restore!

myromeo
22-04-16, 06:47
Couch flash. Blue button > ViX > Image Manager. Within Image Manager press the yellow button (downloads) Highlight the latest image (ViX 4.1-001) and press the green button. After a few minutes when the download is completed, press the red button to close the downloads window and the image you have just downloaded should now be listed. Just highlight it and press the blue button to restore!

That doesn't work on 3.2 build 37... As discussed already.

Sicilian
22-04-16, 06:50
Use a MAX 8GB USB stick. Genuine Kinston is recommended.

Format USB stick FAT32 using HPTOOL http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45-HP-USB-Stick-Drive-Format-Tool

How to USB flash guide http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/Flashing%20Guides/How%20to%20flash%20a%20Vu+%20Solo%20SE.pdf

Ensure you fully read the guide and trasnfer the complere 'vuplus' directory to root of USB stick.

Latest images http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/vu-plus-images/vu-solo-se/

Andy_Hazza
22-04-16, 07:16
That doesn't work on 3.2 build 37... As discussed already.

All you need to do then is ftp the zip file, so for example ViX 3.2-036 (which works) and place in the image manager folder on the hdd and then couch flash.

myromeo
22-04-16, 07:24
But its image manager that doesn't work in 037...

I think I've figured it out anyway, I formatted the usb on my Mac which defaults to guid not mbr... Job for later!

Andy_Hazza
22-04-16, 07:28
Yeah ignore me you are right and yeah I had a similar problem like that on my iMac. Fingers x'd for later!

damo78
15-05-16, 14:50
But its image manager that doesn't work in 037...

I think I've figured it out anyway, I formatted the usb on my Mac which defaults to guid not mbr... Job for later!

Did you manage to get it sorted? I was advised to get a new USB pen but I've got a Mac too so I don't want to go and buy one only to find out it doesn't work. It would be much appreciated if you could advise if you fixed it. I have exact;y the same problem with a Solo 4k.

abu baniaz
15-05-16, 14:53
Until there is a separate partition on the Solo4K, you will not be able to flash an image using Image Manager on Vix. You can create an image backup though.

damo78
15-05-16, 15:14
Hi abu

Not sure if you're responding to me or not but I'm aware there are issues with image manager on the Solo 4k. I'm asking whether a solution was found. I've been advised that I need to buy a new USB and use a formatter, so I'm going to do that. I have little confidence this will work. The USB drive I used only a month or so ago worked on v3.x. But Now v4.x it shouldn't work?

I also have a Mac so I'd rather not install Windows software if I don't have to, so i was asking the OP how he'd got on as he has a Mac.

myromeo
15-05-16, 15:19
Hi abu

Not sure if you're responding to me or not but I'm aware there are issues with image manager on the Solo 4k. I'm asking whether a solution was found. I've been advised that I need to buy a new USB and use a formatter, so I'm going to do that. I have little confidence this will work. The USB drive I used only a month or so ago worked on v3.x. But Now v4.x it shouldn't work?

I also have a Mac so I'd rather not install Windows software if I don't have to, so i was asking the OP how he'd got on as he has a Mac.

Hi, yes I got t working, very simple.

On Mac format the USB stick but make sure it's set to FAT and master boot record (MBR). Once it's done that simply copy the update files to USB and pop it in the device. Should take a few minutes at most.

birdman
16-05-16, 02:01
I also have a Mac so I'd rather not install Windows software if I don't have to, so i was asking the OP how he'd got on as he has a Mac.The box is a Linux system. You can format most things there if you wish. (You'd need to install dosfstools to format a vFAT file-system).