PDA

View Full Version : usb hd

prose
15-04-16, 22:22
hi guys - would any one know the maximum size{mb} usb powered hard drive the os mini can handle ?
the user guide says max 500mA but that means feck all to me.
i have a couple floating around but these are 1tb and 1.5tb and i suspect these are too much.

birdman
16-04-16, 00:37
the user guide says max 500mA but that means feck all to me.That's the power it will/may draw. That's actually the maximum for a USB2 port (according to the standard...). This has little to do with the maximum data size of the disk.
USB drives should (just about) manage on that - it's more than enough to keep them spinning - the issue is about getting it to spin up in the first place. You can get Y-cables to allow you to plug into 2 ports on the power-supplying side (only one of them has a data connexion), but this only works if a) the box has two free ports and b) the power supply of the overall system is sufficient to feed two ports at full power (not all systems are built to do so).
Since you say you have spare ones lying around I;d suggest you plug one in and see how it goes.

Another option would be to run the disk through an externally-powered USB hub.

prose
16-04-16, 10:49
thanks birdman for replying.
i understand that the mini can only supply a limited current on its usb outlets, my thinking was that the two hd's i have would require more than 500mA to function.
i am setting up the mini for the inlaws so maybe they will have to invest in something like a 250mb stick.
another question for you birdman - have put in a 64mb stick to make sure the box will record before handing it over, is it not possible to use the one usb outlet for both recording and epg ?