PDA

View Full Version : Couple of newbie questions...

Nucleus
13-04-16, 10:57
Hi folks, new to all this. Have been reading various forums for a few days, then took the plunge and bought our first Miraclebox Mini+ Hybrid, set it up last night and got it working fine. We’re pleased so just ordered another one.

A couple of newbie questions…

Read somewhere that if the internal flash memory fills it can brick the box. Last night while trying to install Picons we installed to flash memory. How do you clear that, does a factory reset wipe everything?

Also why does applying/changing a skin break the network (completely cripples my connection and it’s necessary to reboot my hub to get any ping/speed back) and also restart the MiracleBox, is an incorrect setting causing this? TIA.

Nucleus
13-04-16, 12:01
Can't edit the above post again?

What I meant to say was that when trying to install Picons there was no option to write to USB stick even though it was plugged in the rear USB port. The only option shown was Flash memory.

I know there are tight rules of what can/can't be discussed here and judging by the few threads, am I correct in assuming that this may not be the correct forum to discuss the setup of this box and all that it can entail? Found another "sponsored" forum where there seems to be much more discussion about the setup/configuration.

daz450
13-04-16, 16:52
You will need to mount the usb stick in the settings to get it to show up.

Nucleus
17-04-16, 14:40
Added a 1TB USB HDD for recording, EPG and Timeshift. Keep seeing mention of FlashExpander and CacheFlush? Do I need to install/configure these plugins? Can I set it so plugins install to the USB HDD?

Considering this is the official forum, support for this box seems very thin on the ground, beginning to wonder if I opted for the wrong box!? Are MiracleBox new or something. Most forums seem to have big sections for other boxes but very little for MiracleBox!

Nucleus
17-04-16, 20:01
If I press "Plugins" then download plugin information, a lot of categories appear with plugins listed. Is there anywhere I can find explanation of what they are and what they do? TIA.

Nucleus
19-04-16, 08:45
If transferring local media files (.mkv/.mp4) to the box for playback which is the correct folder to place them in?

Nucleus
20-04-16, 11:42
Admin/mods can close this thread. Clearly this is a dead forum offering no support for this product. Seven day old thread now with one brief answer to something. Found answers and support elsewhere. Close the thread plz.

Sicilian
20-04-16, 13:40
Read somewhere that if the internal flash memory fills it can brick the box. Last night while trying to install Picons we installed to flash memory. How do you clear that, does a factory reset wipe everything?

Guide to USB re-flash can be found on www.openvix.co.uk, see link http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/Flashing%20Guides/How%20to%20Flash%20a%20Miraclebox%20Mini+%20Hybrid %20series%20receiver%20by%20USB.pdf

Also why does applying/changing a skin break the network (completely cripples my connection and it’s necessary to reboot my hub to get any ping/speed back) and also restart the MiracleBox, is an incorrect setting causing this? TIA.

Doubtful a skin is causing this, my guess is you've installed MGcamd with incorrect config file crippling your network.

Sicilian
20-04-16, 13:41
If I press "Plugins" then download plugin information, a lot of categories appear with plugins listed. Is there anywhere I can find explanation of what they are and what they do? TIA.

No there is not, these as all 3rd party plugins, google is your friend.

Sicilian
20-04-16, 13:43
If transferring local media files (.mkv/.mp4) to the box for playback which is the correct folder to place them in?

You would need to attached USB Media storage, such as USB stick or USB HDD. Then initalise, Menu > Setup > System > Storage devices.

Once done, transfer to /media/hdd. To play them press media button then navigate to /media/hdd.

Nucleus
20-04-16, 13:45
google is your friend.

As already mentioned - found support elsewhere. Plz close this thread - this is obviously a dead forum, because of no replies after several days I initially thought I'd bought the wrong box, not very popular or whatever but after seeing another forum offering good support it's clear that its this forum which is dead. Thanks anyway but close the thread.

Sicilian
20-04-16, 13:54
WOW! What an attitude....:rolleyes: no this thread will remain open, there is no need to close it.

Nucleus
20-04-16, 14:00
WOW! What an attitude from an admin! :rolleyes:

What is wrong with the attitude? So you think it's a good forum where ppl wait seven days for any type of reply - and from the outfit that sell the boxes? On other boards I use (nowt to do with cable/sat) I often see ppl post complaining about no replies but that's after a few hours. In that case your sarcastic comment would be warranted, but in this instance it isn't. My comment of this being a dead forum with regards to this box is justified - even if you don't like it or may not agree. Admin on a power trip? Seen em all before. It's blatantly obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse that so far as support for this box - this is a dead forum - completely. With or without sarcasm from an admin. Leave the thread open, close it, post more sarcasm, ban me - whatever - knock yourself out.

Awaits the forum regulars clicking Thanks on admins post... Seen it all before...

Sicilian
20-04-16, 14:12
Jeez... this is deep....

Simple bit of research from yourself would have found the simple answers. All on www.openvix.co.uk (http://www.openvix.co.uk)

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/video-guides/

http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/picons-channel-icons/

You could have even used the search function, same questions have been asked a 1000 times before.... dead forum, well thats your opinion.. knock yourself out, keep moaning.....

Maybe this section is quite due to this receiver being sooo easy to use and rarely does anyone have an issues with it :)

Nucleus
20-04-16, 14:22
Thanks for the links. Had also spent a while browsing the OpenVix site. Good old chestnut that one innit - "Google is your friend" and "Read the forum" but as we know that could apply to any question ever asked on any board in the history of the web!

As a complete newbie to this (as made clear in the OP) this box definitely isn't "this receiver being sooo easy to use" - for someone familiar with things and the associated terminology - yes. Yet again let me try and get through to you that after seeing no replies here for seven days I had Googled and found some decent support elsewhere, a few ppl replied with helpful tips etc. Obviously I'll continue to learn and explore now. Shall we pick a subject that I'm into and you have no knowledge whatsoever of and when you ask newbie questions I'll post "it's soooo easy". Grow up, you're supposed to be admin. Why don't you post some more sarcasm then ban me so I can't reply, edit posts and lock the thread as inexperienced admins do sometimes? Either way - grow up!

btw: I haven't had issues with it, am quite comfortable with it now (after some helpful folk chipping in elsewhere). LOL! thread been dead for seven days - only now do you see a few ppl reading it!

Sicilian
20-04-16, 14:29
Grow up, wow! that's a good one :D :cool::thumbsup:

Bazzer
20-04-16, 16:08
@nucleus . Well m8 I have used this forum for a couple of years now and like yourself I was a complete nooby. But let me tell you something this is one of the best forums for support admin and others bend over backwards to help and I have learnt loads with the help of others. Yes I have been on other forums and to be honest I have never seen such verbal diareeha has what you are saying. Take a break and have a Kit Kat , no need for your abuse.

Nucleus
20-04-16, 16:17
@nucleus . Well m8 I have used this forum for a couple of years now and like yourself I was a complete nooby. But let me tell you something this is one of the best forums for support admin and others bend over backwards to help and I have learnt loads with the help of others. Yes I have been on other forums and to be honest I have never seen such verbal diareeha has what you are saying. Take a break and have a Kit Kat , no need for your abuse.

It was only a matter of time...

Yes I've learned a lot with support too - just not here. You see I waited some days and still no one had answered. Your interpretation of "abuse" confuses me, do you mean my opinion that so far as this box goes this forum is dead, or my biting back at admins sarcasm? Then again perhaps I was wrong cos' as admin said this receiver is "sooo easy to use" - even to someone who is a completely new to it and never seen one before and has no knowledge of the terminology!

Marvellous how a thread sits for seven days and only draws posts when someone disagrees with admin! :rolleyes:

Let me say again - I'm sorted now.

Bazzer
20-04-16, 16:21
Good glad your sorted . Have a nice day :tea::amen:

daz450
20-04-16, 16:34
Who twisted his nickers! LOL

Nucleus
20-04-16, 16:36
Who twisted his nickers! LOL

I know! Rarely do you see an admin of a board biting at a newbie. Sad.

Neckerman
03-05-16, 21:40
Hello,
I just stumbled on the thread and thought of dropping a couple of lines. I have nothing to do with anyone on the forum , I don't lick butt (unless I absolutely have to) and I don't 'like' posts with poor content. Anyways...If I were a noob(with regard to this specific technology ONLY) and I had some tech issue , I'd ask for help on a relevant forum. If I don't get a reply in 7days I'd be seriously annoyed, as well. Cause I never posted anywhere else until I was forced by the lack of reply. For 7days I waited on this single thread and reply didn't come. I was forced to do something I should have started with. However, I was also ignored and I can't let that go and just post a solution for the greater good and 'close the thread' in my mind.Id much rather go back go the thread, tell everyone I don't need them anymore,demand the thread to be closed(I don't need it duuh) and borderline-ask to be victimized based on prior experiences, apparently. You don't often post a single thread in one forum wait for the days with no reply to accumulate and then go raise passive-aggressive hell , do you?
The 'existing content' of such type of forums, is where the gold is...you can get all the info you'd need without typing a single letter.(except in the search box):violin:

Nucleus
04-05-16, 07:02
...and I don't 'like' posts with poor content.

Oh the irony! :roflmao: