PDA

View Full Version : Maximum size USB disk drive supported?

GykuS
10-04-16, 17:05
Hey guys,

a quick one I'm sure. But what is the maximum capacity USB disk drive supported on an E2 box running OpenViX? Also I assume it is the OS that is the limiting factor I assume. Was thinking of getting an Edision OS mini and attaching a 2Gb USB HDD as a second receiver.

Thanks [emoji3]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

DaMacFunkin
10-04-16, 17:26
You won't get much on a 2gb hard drive.

GykuS
10-04-16, 17:38
Lol sorry typo 2tb, watching football at the same time !!

DaMacFunkin
10-04-16, 18:39
I presume so long as it is formatted and mounted in ext3 / ext4 there shouldn't be a maximum as I don't think Linux has such limitations.

roy0110
10-04-16, 18:48
im sure my uno and solo2 support a max of 16gb, or maybe even 8 cant quite recall but there is a limit.

EDIT: forget that, i was thinking usb flashdrive.

GykuS
10-04-16, 22:53
So E2 behaves like any other Linux distro. ext3/4 volume limits are ridiculously large, in the order of TiB's! A few TB should be fine then :-)

birdman
11-04-16, 02:33
So E2 behaves like any other Linux distro. ext3/4 volume limits are ridiculously large, in the order of TiB's! A few TB should be fine then :-)A TiB is the binary-power equivalent of a TB.
It supports file-systems up to 1 EiB, and individual files up to 16 TiB. However, you may not want to take any ext4 file-system beyond ~100 TB.
If you have a disk larger than that you could partition it in to multiple file-systems.

GykuS
11-04-16, 13:56
Yes and ext4 supports 1 EB. However, the use of XFS is recommended beyond 100 TB. Given this will be a USB attached HDD, I won't be going beyond 4TB ;-)
Thanks for the input guys, it would be interesting to see if anyone has had any issues trying to attach USB drives beyond 4GB. I'd imagine the reformat to ext3/4 will take quite some time when done through OpenVix and is probably best done whilst attached to a windows machine running 3rd party software.

birdman
11-04-16, 14:46
I'd imagine the reformat to ext3/4 will take quite some time when done through OpenVix and is probably best done whilst attached to a windows machine running 3rd party software.It should take about a minute or so - it's only adding the metadata of an empty file-system, not scanning the entire platters.

GykuS
11-04-16, 15:10
Good to know :thumbsup: There's nothing more boring than waiting for a largish disk to be formatted!:whistle: