PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Prevent others from changing any setting

divil_a_bit
10-04-16, 13:41
I recently setup my parents with an Edison Mini receiver purchased from WoS. I'm going to be the first and only support person!

I'm wondering is it possible to prevent them changing any of the setting. Is this possible with openvix?
It's possible my Dad could end up in a settings section and hit the wrong buttons ... and also, when their grandchildren visit, they could also change some settings.
How can I lock down the box so it's not possible to change any setting without a PIN or without enabling it via SSH or via WebIf?

jukkal
10-04-16, 19:21
I don't know if there is a way to do exactly what you ask, but at least you can make a settings backup and keep it safe on your computer or a usb stick that isn't connected to the receiver. And you may keep an image backup in the same place to protect from failed image updates or completely broken other images.

divil_a_bit
10-04-16, 19:23
Thanks - done that already. I just want to prevent the Support calls I see myself getting after the grandkids have changed some settings!

TK4|2|1
10-04-16, 19:56
Parental control?

Rob van der Does
11-04-16, 04:31
You could use a Logitech Harmony and not assign some buttons (like menu).

divil_a_bit
11-04-16, 19:54
Good idea Rob. Thanks. That would do the trick.

So I guess that means the feature I'm looking for is not supported in openvix

Rob van der Does
11-04-16, 19:57
Correct.
In general E2 has not been designed with any security in mind, neither external nor internal.

divil_a_bit
11-04-16, 20:05
Thanks Rob - it's nice to get a definitive answer (even if it's not the answer I wanted to hear)

Huevos
11-04-16, 20:08
Once you have configured the image make a backup copy and you can restore that at any time.

Set backup manager to make regular backups.

Rob van der Does
12-04-16, 05:15
You could use a Logitech Harmony and not assign some buttons (like menu).
But be aware that the box can still be fully controlled via the web-interface and via apps on mobile devices (but you don't have to explain those options to your family :) ).

abu baniaz
12-04-16, 05:34
use parental controls and lock out some of screens/menus

divil_a_bit
12-04-16, 08:16
I didn't realise parental control could also disable access to certain menu items. Nice!
It's almost exactly what I want - it's still possible to hit the Menu button when in the EPG or other screens and change the configuration.

Huevos
12-04-16, 08:29
it's still possible to hit the Menu button when in the EPG or other screens and change the configuration.Why don't you try it to see. Most of us want these receivers because they have lots of features, not so we can disable them. My six year old does not have any trouble operating these receivers so there is no reason why any adult should. The concept that E2 receivers are somehow difficult/complicated to operate is a myth. The GUI is brilliant with lots of useful hints texts. As long as you have a backup you will not have any problems. And if the worst comes to the worst you can sort it out remotely.

Rob van der Does
12-04-16, 08:31
Apart from having to visit your parents to restore the backup :)

But to be honest: modern kids are much more handy with electronic devices than many adults will ever be :)

And OP is not the first one asking this question for the very same reason: on every E2-related forum you see the same question.

Huevos
12-04-16, 09:00
Restore backup:
Menu -> setup -> vix -> backup manager -> highlight backup -> press yellow -> ok.

Restore image:
Menu -> setup -> vix -> image manager -> highlight image -> press blue-> ok.

Is that really so complicated? I don't think my 80-year-old mother would have any trouble with that, if written down. Why do people have such low expectations of their family members?

Rob van der Does
12-04-16, 09:24
Experience? Not all adults are the same :)

divil_a_bit
12-04-16, 17:38
I want an E2 receiver because of how configurable it is and I like to get under the hood
My parents want an E2 receiver because they want to ditch Sky and save money (and they prefer the channels and the fact that the channel order can be customised).

I want to setup my parents with an E2 receiver and walk away knowing I won't get a support call.

IAmATeaf
14-04-16, 09:11
All you have to do is the first time they mess it up make sure you take your time getting there to fix the issue, a couple of days will suffice, they'll then never mess about ever again.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk