PDA

View Full Version : LNB advice - probably a daft question!

GykuS
06-04-16, 23:16
Ok, with the risk of sounding daft :rolleyes: I have a Satellite disk that has a LNB with 4 ports on it.

There is what I would describe as a twin cable plugged into two outputs leaving two spare.

Speaking from an E2 box perspective will that cable serve 2 x single DVB-S/S2 tuners (or if the box has the option a twin DVB-S/S2 tuner)?

If this is correct can I then just run a new 'twin cable' with F connectors attached at each end from the spare two outputs on the LNB to another receiver in another room?

Thanks guys

abu baniaz
06-04-16, 23:19
Those are just two cables stuck together, usually called shotgun cable. Yes, you can run another twin cable and connect to two tuners.

GykuS
06-04-16, 23:32
Thanks for the quick response :thumbsup:

twol
07-04-16, 06:28
Or you can run the 4 cables. Into the main receiver (server )(assuming it has 4 tuners) and just connect the 2nd receiver as a client via a lan/wifi connection to the main receiver via the rcsc plugin ... depends how easy it is to run cables.

GykuS
07-04-16, 12:45
I don't mind running a new cable or even swapping the LNB if required.

If I were to go for something like a Mut@nt HD2400 with 2 x DVB-S/S2 and had the shotgun cable coming into the lounge and both cables connected to those two tuners. Your saying I could then connect a client box via my LAN either with an ethernet cable or WiFi to it using rcsc plugin? Is that available across most of the images such as OpenVix, OpenATV etc?
Would the client then simply utilise one of the free tuners on the master? I'm guessing as far as the client experience goes it would be pretty much the same as having the cables connected directly to the client ie just change channels etc like normal?

Thanks

abu baniaz
07-04-16, 12:48
Yes to all questions.

Lan is better than wifi though.

DaMacFunkin
07-04-16, 12:50
Yes it would utilise one of the free tuners, but be aware you will then be sending transport streams containing video and audio across your network at the same time as performing other tasks so make sure your infrastructure is upto the task.

GykuS
07-04-16, 13:34
Thanks guys.

Trying to word this carefully .. erm that means I would only need to have a 'card' on the Master box and no oscam/cccam etc entries required on the client?
Luckily when we renovated our house before we moved in I ran CAT6 through to quite a few rooms and running a Gb switch for now so my LAN is pretty quick ;)

abu baniaz
07-04-16, 14:04
Decryption is done on main receiver. This is the only receiver that needs a physical card and softcam configured to read it.

the "streamers" do not need anything. not even a tuner

GykuS
07-04-16, 14:28
Thank you for the replies guys, it's much appreciated :thumbsup: