PDA

View Full Version : usb changed to sdb

Willmoore
01-04-16, 14:37
Just setting up an Xtrend ET8000. Installed picons on a usb but when i went looking for the usb (using FZ) i could not find media/usb. What I did find was media/sdb Clicked on a sdb and there were my picons. I assume Linux has called it sdb and not usb. How come ? this is not the case on my other boxes.

rossi2000
01-04-16, 14:52
have you tried re-mounting it on /media/usb?

Willmoore
01-04-16, 15:14
When I go into Mount Manager it's not there - all I can see is my HDD

john doe
01-04-16, 15:32
just shove them on hdd.

Willmoore
01-04-16, 15:43
just shove them on hdd.
The picons are showing up so everything is working okay. It was more a question of why it is called sdb and not usb. Also why I can not see it in Mount Manager.

birdman
01-04-16, 18:57
just shove them on hdd.Don't put picons on a HDD. It will cause it to spin up (and you will wait for it) every time you pop-up an EPG.

birdman
01-04-16, 19:01
The picons are showing up so everything is working okay. It was more a question of why it is called sdb and not usb. Also why I can not see it in Mount Manager.Don't know, but it used to happen from time to time on my box until I told the system to always mount it as /media/usb.
It helps to do so, given that a few things default to that as a setting.

IIRC there are two "Mount Manager" locations in the menu (which are different). Look for both - you should find it in one of them.

Willmoore
03-04-16, 14:51
Don't know, but it used to happen from time to time on my box until I told the system to always mount it as /media/usb.
It helps to do so, given that a few things default to that as a setting.

IIRC there are two "Mount Manager" locations in the menu (which are different). Look for both - you should find it in one of them.

Thanks Birdman but how do i do that - I can't find anywhere that I can tell the system to mount as you suggest.

twol
03-04-16, 15:07
Thanks Birdman but how do i do that - I can't find anywhere that I can tell the system to mount as you suggest.

Blue button, Vix, Mount mgr ... Should display it... and allow you to change settings if you want.

Willmoore
03-04-16, 16:17
Blue button, Vix, Mount mgr ... Should display it... and allow you to change settings if you want.
That's the problem, it doesn't show when i look there. I'll try another stick although the one I'm using is a kingston 8gb so that shouldn't be the problem.

birdman
03-04-16, 19:36
I'll try another stick although the one I'm using is a kingston 8gb so that shouldn't be the problem.The fact that it shows up as /media/sdb (and not /media/sdb1) indicates that the file-system has been put onto the raw usb stick. If you created a partition table on it, crated a partition (for the whole of the remain space) then pout the file-system on that you may find it works more as you expect.