PDA

View Full Version : LNB Setup issue

disneysw
01-04-16, 09:48
Warning Newbie alert!

I have a new Edison OS Mini but can only manage to receive around 130 channels (not sure why).

First, the dish I am connecting to relatively old but works fine with Sky (UK) and Oenbox receivers. The dish is fitted with a quad LNB and the OS mini is a dual DVB-S2 tuner.

If I configure the tuners for a universal LNB I receive no signals whatsoever. The only way to I can receive any channels is by manually configuring the LNB to permanently enable the signal tone that is normally used for hi/low band selection.

Once enabled a scan finds around 130 channels and the system seems to work fine other than the limited channel list.

I read somewhere about a possible incompatibility with some older quad LNB's where only ~20% of the channels are received but this seems an unlikely scenario though I am no expert.

But before replacing the LNB I wanted to check I am not doing something stupid. Any suggestions?

TK4|2|1
01-04-16, 17:09
Post your tuner configs please

disneysw
02-04-16, 01:07
Post your tuner configs please

Ok discovered I can receive ~900 channels using a Blind Scan with the tuners set to:

Config mode: Simple
Mode: Single
Satellite: 28.2E Astra 2E/2F/2G
DiSEqC: no

However any attempts to use the automatic satellite scan or the AutoBouquetsMaker fail. I also tried using Dreamset to upload a config but the channels still cannot be tunned.

I tried both ATV and Openvix (both release versions of OpenVix) and always encounter the same issue. Obviously I am being very stupid and missing something very fundemental in the setup!

Tuners fitted to the receiver are a Broadcom BCM73XX and a FTS-260 (Montage RS6000).

judge
02-04-16, 01:14
Sounds like your dish might need a slight nudge. Anything blocking line of sight?

DaMacFunkin
02-04-16, 06:59
I presume the problem is your Montage RS6000, try disabling that Tuner and then run ABM, you may need to make sure that your main tuner is not tuned to anything to get it to run. I have a Sundtek S2 tuner and although it has excellent signal including the ABM transponder it fails reading the tables, as of yet i have had no reasonable explanation why.

Sicilian
02-04-16, 07:40
I presume the problem is your Montage RS6000, try disabling that Tuner and then run ABM, you may need to make sure that your main tuner is not tuned to anything to get it to run. I have a Sundtek S2 tuner and although it has excellent signal including the ABM transponder it fails reading the tables, as of yet i have had no reasonable explanation why.

Edision twin has two tuners, one embedded Broadcom tuner, 2nd is a fixed External tuner Montage RS6000, both work fine and support blindscan.

@ The Op, do exactly as follows:

Use a 100% KNOWN WORKING FEED FOR THIS TEST.

Set BOTH tuners as you've posted above.

1) Connect the 100% known working feed to to Tuner A.

2) Menu > Setup > Service Searching > Manual Scan > Select Tuner A at top, set 'Type of Scan' to 'Single Satellite'. Press ok/green and scan. Wait for the scan to complete and note down the amount of channels found.

3) Once scan above completes, disconnect the coax from Tuner A and connect to Tuner B.

4) Menu > Setup > Service Searching > Manual Scan > Select Tuner B at top, set 'Type of Scan' to 'Single Satellite'. Press ok/green and scan. Wait for the scan to complete and note down the amount of channels found.

Both scans should find 900-960 channels. Post your results.

disneysw
02-04-16, 13:14
Problem resolved with a new LNB.

I simply setup a new temporary dish and LNB and the receiver installed and auto tuned fine plus AutoBouquetsMaker worked.

Plugged the receiver back into the original LNB/Dish and no channels where received. Yet I know if I blindscan on this setup it will find channels. I am assuming the intermediate frequencies of the "problem" LNB are the issue and I could probably get around it by creating a customised LNB profile. However I am happy to simply replace the dish and LNB with a new one.

Still don’t understand why an official Sky box plus an Openbox receiver worked with the same problem dish/LNB.

disneysw
02-04-16, 13:21
btw - Thank you for help and suggestions!