PDA

View Full Version : How Easy or Hard to update my external HHD

wizz_r
30-03-16, 19:11
On my VU + Solo SE, I have an external 2.5in 500Gb HDD which I would like to upgrade.
I have a spare 1Tb western digital 3.5in HDD in a WD external enclosure complete with power supply and USB data connection cable.

I am running Open VIX and at present, recording/playback, and picons which I added to the existing HDD are working fine, as is a 6 day epg.
I have no recordings at present to worry about, so I can start from scratch without any problems.

After initialising the new drive and copying the picons folder over to the new hdd, will the rest sort itself out, or is there more to do ?

abu baniaz
30-03-16, 19:29
Just double check the EPG file path.

wizz_r
30-03-16, 19:32
Just double check the EPG file path.
OK, Thanks .... will do.

wizz_r
30-03-16, 20:47
The epg.dat file is on the original HDD..... So could I transfer that, as well as the picon folder, to the new drive ?

abu baniaz
30-03-16, 20:52
No point doing epg, just download it again.

wizz_r
30-03-16, 20:55
Of course,
OK, I'll zap it ...
Thanks

Huevos
30-03-16, 21:46
Running picons from the hard drive is not a preferred configuration.

Rob van der Does
31-03-16, 03:26
Running picons from the hard drive is not a preferred configuration.
because that will slow down zapping. Best is picons in flash, second best is picons on USB-stick.

wizz_r
31-03-16, 08:37
because that will slow down zapping. Best is picons in flash, second best is picons on USB-stick.
OK, I can put them on a USB-stick ...

Rob van der Does
31-03-16, 08:44
OK, I can put them on a USB-stick ...
Because it's only second-best.....?

wizz_r
31-03-16, 09:05
Because it's only second-best.....?
I was told that filling flash memory up can brick the box ?

PS: My epg.dat is 4.52Mb ....
My pcons are 7.44Mb ....

Bazzer
31-03-16, 11:07

My pcons are 7.44Mb ....

Depends on the receiver I use USB but I am sure I could use flash memory, never had a problem with USB so has the saying goes "don't try to fix something that ain't broke.

Huevos
31-03-16, 11:53
Picons are fine in the flash but get overwritten on reflash. Putting them on USB avoids this.

Do not put epg on the flash. Either USB or HDD are good for epg.

Rob van der Does
31-03-16, 16:02

My pcons are 7.44Mb ....
Only if you have a(n old) box with very limited flash. The main advantage of using flash for picons is that it is the fstest storage medium you have, so it will never slow down zapping.
And EPG should never be in flash, but on HDD or USB. Reason is that EPG can grow very big and then fill the flash; second reason is that is only read on start up and written on closing down, so even a slow storage medium won't do any harm.

wizz_r
01-04-16, 09:17
How do I ensure picons go into flash ?

Rob van der Does
01-04-16, 17:41
1- When installing from the feeds you are being asked if you want to store in flash/USB/HDD.
2- When installing by hand just copy them to /picon (create the folder when required).