PDA

View Full Version : picons for quad plus help please

watling85
24-03-16, 22:48
Hi,

Had me quad plus for about a year and never had any bother with it.
Just updated to openvix 4 and thought i'd sort the picons out for vermin and sly as ave always wanted them on but never got round to it.

So i downloaded MK 400x240 UK (SNP) 2016_01_28 from openvix.co.uk
and unzipped file and ftp them to root,media
then menu, system, display, default with picons
restarted but still not there.

also not sure where to get the vermin picons from and am i putting files in correct place and format?

thanks in advance

SColl
25-03-16, 12:48
location appears incorrect. you need to create a folder called "Picon" in the preferred storage location. It would be recommend to store picons on a USB stick as it will look for the picons each time you change channels and can cause internal memory to fail over time.

If you want to display them on the front screen, id recommend downloading LCD skins from the plugins, 05 works a treat.

Andy_Hazza
25-03-16, 13:06
I have picons stored on internal flash (best option if you have a box with plenty of internal flash. If storing to the internal flash then the "picon" folder (all lower case) should be placed to root.
If storing to the usb (format to fat32 and extract all the contents (picons) to the root of the usb, again in a folder called "picon" (all lower case).
Some people store Picons to the HDD (not recommended), and this path would be hdd/media/picon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

watling85
25-03-16, 17:24
thank you both very much for getting back to me, really appreciate it! :)

deleted
26-03-16, 10:27
OK, lots of misinformation in this thread...

1) The folder should be called 'picon', not 'Picon'
2) It's not recommended to store picons on USB, you paid good money for your internal flash, just use it.
3) If the product isn't faulty, you'll be long dead before your memory will fail from reading picons
4) It's not a requirement to format the USB as FAT32, if you like doing it the clumbsy windows way, sure, if you like to be asked by Enigma2 to which location picons should be installed from the feed, use ext4.
5) The path of the HDD should be "/media/hdd" (not /hdd/media) and in most cases on OpenVIX there's a symbolic link "/hdd" pointing to the same location.
6) HDD is in most cases a big NO NO as pointed out by Andy

watling85
26-03-16, 10:52
thank you very much ocram!

twol
26-03-16, 11:12
OK, lots of misinformation in this thread...

1) The folder should be called 'picon', not 'Picon'
2) It's not recommended to store picons on USB, you paid good money for your internal flash, just use it.
3) If the product isn't faulty, you'll be long dead before your memory will fail from reading picons
4) It's not a requirement to format the USB as FAT32, if you like doing it the clumbsy windows way, sure, if you like to be asked by Enigma2 to which location picons should be installed from the feed, use ext4.
5) The path of the HDD should be "/media/hdd" (not /hdd/media) and in most cases on OpenVIX there's a symbolic link "/hdd" pointing to the same location.
6) HDD is in most cases a big NO NO as pointed out by Andy
Ref 2) ... if you have multiple receivers and update them a lot, then it is much easier to maintain them with picons on a USB

watling85
26-03-16, 11:12
One thing i was going to ask, can the picon on the lcd display be any bigger?

Thanks in advance

deleted
26-03-16, 15:41
Ref 2) ... if you have multiple receivers and update them a lot, then it is much easier to maintain them with picons on a USB

If you have to maintain a lot of receivers, it's easier to setup a custom feed and let the receiver pull in the updates.

And why would manually removing and updating thumb drives be any faster than ssh/ftp? Unless they are not connected to the LAN.

Bazzer
26-03-16, 15:51
I have mine stored in USB and after recommendations by peeps I thought it was always best to do it this way. I know my internal flash is ample to store them but thought it caused issues. Probably a misunderstanding on my part :confused:

Willmoore
26-03-16, 16:46
I have mine stored in USB and after recommendations by peeps I thought it was always best to do it this way. I know my internal flash is ample to store them but thought it caused issues. Probably a misunderstanding on my part :confused:
No misunderstanding Bazzer - picons on usb has been advised time and time again.

twol
26-03-16, 17:16
If you have to maintain a lot of receivers, it's easier to setup a custom feed and let the receiver pull in the updates.

And why would manually removing and updating thumb drives be any faster than ssh/ftp? Unless they are not connected to the LAN.

All my receivers have their own usb which contain their receivers picons, and as I frequently run my own builds and couch flash its FAR easier to have them on the USB ... at least I know whats on the USB.
If I change my icons, which I occasionally do (often previously by running an Ocram build ... thank you :)) then I run Echannelizer to write bouquets and picons to all receivers at the same time.

Every man to their own method, mine suits me. :)

deleted
27-03-16, 14:16
Every man to their own method, mine suits me. :)

:) Indeed

(sample content to get the required lenght)