PDA

View Full Version : Solo2 2 tuner 2 dish set up problems

leonskaja
23-03-16, 16:52
I have had the Solo2 for several years now but have so far not managed to solve a problem with my 2 tuner, 2 satellite dish set up. The problem is that when I record one channel I cannot receive some others ("Tuning failed" error), presumably those on the same transponder.

I have two dishes aimed at two different satellites and each dish has a single LNB with. The resulting 4 cables go to a multiswitch from which two cables emerge each of which is connected to one of the Solo's 2 tuners. So why do I have such problems recording one channel and looking at another on the same transponder?

2stein
23-03-16, 17:07
probably a tuner configuration problem. how are the 2 tuners configured?

abu baniaz
23-03-16, 22:32
Are the LNBs the quattro or quad type?

leonskaja
24-03-16, 10:17
As to the LNB's I have no idea. What is the difference between quattro and quad and how do I find out which ones they are?

My Tuner configuration is as follows:

Tuner A DiSEqC A/B Sats: 19.2 Astra & 28.2 Astra
Tuner B DiSEqC A/B Sats: 19.2 Astra & 28.2 Astra

Do let me know if you need further details.

2stein
24-03-16, 10:27
quattro or quad lnb should not make a difference. your switch obviously supports both, otherwise you would be missing a lot of channels.
your config sounds a little simple for 2 dishes.
i would have expected settings for 2 lnbs.
tuner a:
lnb1: sat1
lnb2: sat2

same for tuner b:
lnb1: sat1
lnb2: sat2

you could also just specify that tuner a is the same as tuner b.

twol
24-03-16, 11:29
So for clarification:) ...
Do you have a multiswitch and not a simple diseqc switch :)

If a multiswitch then you should have 4 cables from each LNB to the multiswitch? ... and 2 out that go to the Solo.
If so I would expect you have a quattro lnb (I use both quattro & quad but my EMP multiswitch supports both by forcing the quad to act as a quattro)
If a multiswitch then check that connections are correct at each end eg H/L on multiswitch goes to same on LNB,s.

If a simple diseqc switch, I would be tempted to try another and having 1st checked all connectors are firmly fixed on the cables :)

The tuner config is fine for a multiswitch but not for a diseqc switch.

leonskaja
24-03-16, 12:33
So for clarification:) ...
Do you have a multiswitch and not a simple diseqc switch :)

If a multiswitch then you should have 4 cables from each LNB to the multiswitch? ... and 2 out that go to the Solo.

If a simple diseqc switch, I would be tempted to try another and having 1st checked all connectors are firmly fixed on the cables :)

The tuner config is fine for a multiswitch but not for a diseqc switch.

I have one LNB on each dish and each has two cables coming from it. I guess that means I must have a simple DiSEqc switch. So how do I set up the tuners then? As 2stein suggested?

2stein
24-03-16, 13:59
I have one LNB on each dish and each has two cables coming from it.
so those are twin lnbs going to a 4 port switch.
then we need a config with diseqc a-d.
and tuner a using port a/b and tuner b usind c/d (assuming a and c are connected to dish 1 and b and d are connected to dish 2)

leonskaja
24-03-16, 17:15
so those are twin lnbs going to a 4 port switch.
then we need a config with diseqc a-d.
and tuner a using port a/b and tuner b usind c/d (assuming a and c are connected to dish 1 and b and d are connected to dish 2)

Thank you! I'll try it tonight and see if that solves the problem.

twol
24-03-16, 18:28
Thank you! I'll try it tonight and see if that solves the problem.
Should work exactly as 2stein says ..... providing you ensure the cables are connected correctly to the diseqc switch :)

leonskaja
24-03-16, 22:05
I am afraid the problem persists. This is how I have it set up now:

Tuner A
Configuration mode: Simple
Mode: DiSEqC A/B/C/D
Port A: 19.2 Astra
Port B 28.2 Astra
Port C: nothing connected
Port D: nothing connected
Set voltage and 2KHz: yes
Send DiSEqC only on stalellite change: no

Tuner B
Port A: nothing connected
Port B nothing connected
Port C: 19.2 Astra
Port D: 28.2 Astra
Send DiSEqC only on stalellite change: no

I guess I had better check the switch, but this was installed by a well-established local company! What should I look for?

PS. Could the Solo be faulty?

2stein
24-03-16, 22:10
are you sure that the cables are connected this way to the switch?
tuner 1 with a/b is probably correct as it worked before.
have you tried d: 19.2/c: 28.2 for tuner b?

leonskaja
24-03-16, 22:15
I thought I would check the Solo and disconnected the cable to Tuner A. I lost ALL channels. On screen it kept on saying Tuner A. I disconnected the cable to Tuner B and tried it on A and my channels were back. Am I right in thinking that this suggests Tuner B is dead? is there another way of testing that? Could it be deactivated?

abu baniaz
24-03-16, 22:18
Please confirm what type of switch you have. Is it a mutlti switch or is it a diseqc switch? Why did they use ports C & D on the switch? Should still function, whetever ports are used.

Can you do the following test?
Set your tuner as
Simple, diseqc abcd.
Leave each selection on automatic and then press OK.

Do the end results tally with what you had before?

conman99
24-03-16, 22:28
Guys,
I was experiencing what sounds like the same problem with my brand new Solo2 (had a Duo for years without problems) I have a 28.2 static dish on B and a USALS Positioner on A.
One tuner would become unavailable without an explanation, even on FTA...
Try removing your network cable and reboot.
If both tuners are now accessible, reconnect your network cable, go into Settings-Customise (change to expert mode) - require HTTP authentication for streams (set to YES) then restart box.

I had to do this even though I had created my own VU password via Telnet. and changed settings accordingly in the WebIF Plugin

This fixed my problem locally, but unfortunately I cannot stream to my ipad/phone anymore...just a black screen.

I'm using Openvix V4 as thought it was a bug with earlier versions but clearly its still there....

Could anybody shed some light on this?

2stein
24-03-16, 22:36
have you tried d: 19.2/c: 28.2 for tuner b?
still think it is just a configuration problem.
but thinking about it... a diseqc switch with 4 inputs doesn't make sense.
for 2 sats two 2:1 switches make more sense and then your inital configuration would be correct.
we need to know what hw you have.

leonskaja
24-03-16, 22:49
Hi guys,

your help is hugely appreciated. Unfortunately it is dark here now and the switch is in the garage loft and not easy to reach. Will do so first thing tomorrow. Can I come back to you then? Please note I know next to nothing about diseqcs and the like so even if I check the switch what should I be looking for? I can tell you it is a single metal case with 4 cables going in and 2 coming out. What else should I be looking for? How can I tell a multiswitch apart from a 4port switch?

abu baniaz
24-03-16, 22:53
The automatic detection suggested could resolve your issue for you.

leonskaja
24-03-16, 22:54
I did as you suggested and the result is not exactly what I had before. I now get

Tuner A
Port B 28.2 Astra
Send DiSEqC only on satellite change: no

Tuner B
Port B 28.2 Astra

2stein
24-03-16, 23:12
it would help if we saw what's printed on the switch... a photo would be best.

abu baniaz
24-03-16, 23:17
leave the tuner configuration as per results of last post. do you have any problems?

leonskaja
25-03-16, 00:14
Lots of problems still.

When I record a BBC channel (Astra 28.2) only the Euronews channel now gives a tune error (28.2). When I stop the recording, Euronews is back again.

When I start recording the BBC Europe channel or any other channel on 19.8, the BBC News channel (on 28.2) fails to tune, so does BBC One HD, BBC Two HD, BBC Four, ITV HD, ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD, ITV4 HD, Channel 4 HD, i.e. all channels on 28.2.

twol
25-03-16, 06:32
Looks line both tuners are accessing same ports hence issue ... As requested photo?

leonskaja
25-03-16, 10:26
I should know better than to trust my memory. We have in fact two DiSEqC switches, pictures of which I have attached.

ja5
25-03-16, 12:46
I should know better than to trust my memory. We have in fact two DiSEqC switches, pictures of which I have attached.

Its all about learning and knowing the basics mate, we all start somewhere lol so 2 inputs and one output like you can have 4 inputs and one out and then set up DiSEqC A/B/C/D

i read you changed the cable from tuner b to a and you had all the channels, have you tried turning of config on tuner a and seeing if tuner b works. least you know if a and b are working.

2stein
25-03-16, 12:49
that's what i thought. so, your inital config with diseqc a/b for both tuners should have been fine.... assuming 19.2 is hooked up to port a and 28.2 is hooked up to port b for both switches. that's what we can't see on the pictures :-)

ja5
25-03-16, 13:14
that's what i thought. so, your inital config with diseqc a/b for both tuners should have been fine.... assuming 19.2 is hooked up to port a and 28.2 is hooked up to port b for both switches. that's what we can't see on the pictures :-)

He did say in post 13

disconnected the cable to Tuner A. I lost ALL channels. On screen it kept on saying Tuner A. I disconnected the cable to Tuner B and tried it on A and my channels were back.

So i think the settings would be correct, i think a simple tuner b test and maybe a advance setting might work,

twol
25-03-16, 13:21
So if connected correctly at each end it should work,but.....
Sorry to ask this :) but can you check that there are 2 cables out of each dishes LNB .... I am just concerned that there is only 1 cable from each and they have split them to go into the 2 diseqc boxes.... So that you can have inputs to say bedroom and lounge but not used at the same time:)

leonskaja
25-03-16, 16:51
So if connected correctly at each end it should work,but.....
Sorry to ask this :) but can you check that there are 2 cables out of each dishes LNB .... I am just concerned that there is only 1 cable from each and they have split them to go into the 2 diseqc boxes.... So that you can have inputs to say bedroom and lounge but not used at the same time:)

No go right ahead and ask, but yes two cables from each LNB. I have a picture of the connection too which I will upload later (haven't got the time now).

leonskaja
25-03-16, 22:48
They are as you (2stein) suggest, see the photo where the two cables on the top left come from one dish and the two on the right from the other dish. That means they are connected like this:

SatDish28.2-----------DiSEqC1-LNB2
-----------DiSEqC2-LNB2

SatDish19.8------------DiSEqC1-LNB1
-------------DiSEqC2-LNB1

With auto-tuning this gives me the set-up reported earlier, namely:

Tuner A
Port B 28.2 Astra

Tuner B
Port B 28.2 Astra

Unfortunately the problem persists.

abu baniaz
25-03-16, 23:12
Mark/identify the two cables by receiver the following: Wire 1, Wire 2

Test 1
Disable tuner B.
Connect wire 1 to Tuner A.
Set tuner A as simple, diseqc A/B, port 1 19.2 28.2.

Check that you can switch between 28.2 and 19.2 channels succesfully. Make a note of the channels you test. Any problems?

Test 2
Disable tuner B.
Connect wire 2 to Tuner A.
Ensure tuner A is set as simple, diseqc A/B, port 1 19.2 28.2.

Check that you can switch between 28.2 and 19.2 channels succesfully. Test the same ones you did in test 1. Are the same channels OK?

Test 3
Disable tuner A.
Connect wire 1 to Tuner B.
Set tuner B as simple, diseqc A/B, port 1 19.2 28.2.

Check that you can switch between 28.2 and 19.2 channels succesfully. Test the same ones you did in test 1. Are the same channels OK?

Test 4
Disable tuner A.
Connect wire 2 to Tuner B.
Set tuner B as simple, diseqc A/B, port 1 19.2 28.2.

2stein
25-03-16, 23:24
i'm running out of ideas... looks like the cables are connected correctly.....

leonskaja
25-03-16, 23:37
Its all about learning and knowing the basics mate, we all start somewhere lol so 2 inputs and one output like you can have 4 inputs and one out and then set up DiSEqC A/B/C/D

i read you changed the cable from tuner b to a and you had all the channels, have you tried turning of config on tuner a and seeing if tuner b works. least you know if a and b are working.

I did as you suggested and first disabled Tuner A and all worked fine on Tuner B and then I disabled Tuner B and all was well with Tuner A, so they seem to work fine in the present setup.

2stein
25-03-16, 23:43
so, why don't they cooperate??? :-)
please also do abus test cases.

leonskaja
25-03-16, 23:51
Mark/identify the two cables by receiver the following: Wire 1, Wire 2 ...

Test 1: no problems
Test 2: no problems
Test 3: no problems
Test 4: no problems

leonskaja
26-03-16, 00:25
I started a recording on a 19.2 channel. All pre-programmed 28.2 channels came through except ITV HD. I then started another recording of a different 19.2 channel and all of a sudden some other 19.2 channels fail to tune and all of the pre-programmed 28.2 channels. The moment I stop the recording, all the channels are back. Is this weird or what?

PS. The Solo2 was bought at the end of 2013 and has had this problem from the start!

2stein
26-03-16, 07:02
imho this is due to the limitation of 2 tuners. when there are 2 19.2 recordings there is no free tuner anymore to watch a 28.2 channel... just 19.2 channels on the same transponders as the recordings.
so, you would need more tuners, different lnbs and a different switch if you wanted to go beyond that limitation.

2stein
26-03-16, 09:45
a diseqc switch acts like a real switch... either one port comes thru or the other. so if you already access one satellite, you don't have access to the other anymore.
a multi-switch would allow access to both... but for that switch you would need 2 quattro lnbs and 8 cables to the switch.
this all does not explain the ITV HD channel that you lose after the fist recording. could this have something to do how many encrypted channels you can decrypt?

twol
26-03-16, 11:00
ITV HD is on Astra 2F which is a new (last year) highly focussed satellite ... so depending on where you live and how well aligned your sat dish is (or not) that may effect your ability to pick up ITV HD ... in my location (on the margin) it is something I only see in good reception times (winter), like now its not there:)

leonskaja
26-03-16, 11:14
a diseqc switch acts like a real switch... either one port comes thru or the other. so if you already access one satellite, you don't have access to the other anymore.
a multi-switch would allow access to both... but for that switch you would need 2 quattro lnbs and 8 cables to the switch.
this all does not explain the ITV HD channel that you lose after the fist recording. could this have something to do how many encrypted channels you can decrypt?

Hang on ... I put it badly in my previous post. I did not mean to suggest I started two recordings simultaneously! I meant to say I tried to record one 19.2 channel and was unable to watch ITV HD. I then stopped this recording and started another one on a different 19.2 channel and suddenly none of the 28.2 channels came through any more.

Perhaps you put your finger on it anyway, is it possible that although I quit the first recording it hadn't properly terminated? Is there a quick way to see what channel(s) is/are actually being recorded? All I see is a recording icon in the info screen.

PS. Encryption does not come into it. I only receive free to air channels.

twol
26-03-16, 11:34
Timer will show whats running, List will show your recordings

abu baniaz
26-03-16, 20:09
Please confirm whether you are getting "tune failed" or you are getting "tuner not available".

leonskaja
26-03-16, 22:06
Please confirm whether you are getting "tune failed" or you are getting "tuner not available".

I get "Tune failed" only.

abu baniaz
26-03-16, 23:06
You may have a faulty diseqc switch/es. Do you have barrel connectors? The ones you use to connect two cables? YOu can bypass teh switches and test.

leonskaja
27-03-16, 23:34
You may have a faulty diseqc switch/es. Do you have barrel connectors? The ones you use to connect two cables? YOu can bypass teh switches and test.

Thanks, that is worth checking. I think I may have a few barrel connectors, if not they are quickly bought (I might even get 2 new diseqc switches, just to be sure). I'll keep you posted. Thanks to everyone for all your advice and time spent trying to figure this out. Much appreciated!

abu baniaz
27-03-16, 23:38
label the cables and test one thing at a time. best not to spend until after tests.

leonskaja
10-04-16, 22:43
Just a quick update. I replaced both diseqcs and the problems his still there. I will now start to test every single connection and keep you posted.