PDA

View Full Version : Bought box first time, tried latest OpenViX and now stuck on 'Starting...'

pproductions
20-03-16, 14:22
Hi,.

I'm having trouble with my Solo2 not booting up at all. It's stuck on Starting with a noisy screen.

I posted this elsewhere but since this forum has a bigger following, decided to try my luck in solving this issue.

I ordered a box off eBay (from a different supplier, geniune box to my knowledge, no other stickers other than a serial barcode + mac address underneath) and it was already loaded with some kind of image. It came with a 750GB HDD installed.

I didn't bother checking what image was loaded but the boot logo had Vu+ Your Smart Linux TV Player on it.

After running through the wizard and setting it up, I decided to flash it with the latest version of OpenViX.

Here's what I did:

1) Formatted my 64GB SanDisk Ultra Fit USB to FAT32 using the HP Format Tool. (Now I don't know if it's this stick.. please keep reading).
2) Downloaded the openvix-3.2.037.release-vusolo2_usb.zip and put the extracted "vuplus" folder onto the USB.
2) All cables were connected if that helps diagnose the problem (HDMI, Ethernet, LNB in and power).
3) Box was turned off as advised from the rocker switch.
4) Put USB into front panel, turned rocker switch to ON and the box started doing the following:

Update!
Press Power
Update!
Press Power

5) Pressed the Power touch button on the box and it did the following:

Reading USB...
Erasing...
Reading USB...
Erasing...
Reading USB...
Erasing...
Continuing...
Flashing...
Starting...

Then I see this...

Now the box boots up and is stuck on the message "Starting..."

My guess is that my USB drive was large in capacity so the box didn't bother completing the update? I tried to format my USB from Windows a couple of times and the box wouldn't detect the USB.

So went back to using the HP Format Tool and tried again with no luck. Steps 4 and 5 still happen.

I've ordered a new 8GB Cruzer Blade USB which I read was a tested stick. Until that comes later today, I thought I'd ask the question in case someone else has this problem in the future.

Is this box dead now or will a reflash do with the right USB?

DaMacFunkin
20-03-16, 14:28
The behaviour you are describing is what happens when you try to flash a clone box with official vix releases, where did you buy the box?
Edit: see you got it off eBay, oh dear - try contacting the seller... Good luck.

ccs
20-03-16, 14:30
..........deleted

Ashley69
20-03-16, 14:30
I suggest posting images of your box so someone can check whether it's a clone.

Peterj
20-03-16, 14:33
Post a picture of the back of the box, so we can see of it is a genuine box.

john doe
20-03-16, 14:38
ebay sellers should be banned, as many sell as genuine and when it comes to it 90% are clones

if genuine - did you flash the vu +solo2 bootloader first before flashing openivx image?

abu baniaz
20-03-16, 14:47
1. There is no publicly available bootloader for the Solo 2
2. There is no requirement to flash a bootloader until the manufacturer provides an updated one. This is what is posted on our download site. "Extreme care should be taken when flashing bootloaders, these should only be re-flashed or upgraded if a new version is released or the manufacturer has advised to upgrade to a newer version"

pproductions
20-03-16, 14:49
Here's all the images of the box (crossed out serial number and mac address):

@john doe:

if genuine - did you flash the vu +solo2 bootloader first before flashing openivx image?

Fom what I know, this box doesn't have an available bootloader to download because it already comes with the latest? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: Thanks abu baniaz, thought I read that too.

Andy_Hazza
20-03-16, 14:50
ebay sellers should be banned, as many sell as genuine and when it comes to it 90% are clones

You always say this. lol. Vu+ Solo2 does not have a bootloader!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
20-03-16, 14:56
The clone makers have improved the exterior. Pictures of the inside may be better for comparisson purposes. If you flash a really old image, and that works, then that is confirmation of it being a clone.

pproductions
20-03-16, 14:58
The clone makers have improved the exterior. Pictures of the inside may be better for comparisson purposes. If you flash a really old image, and that works, then that is confirmation of it being a clone.

Any suggested image versions to try? First time user of an Enigma2 box. Been on Skybox/Openbox only prior to this.

Andy_Hazza
To me this looks a clone box. If you flashed with an older ViX image, say 3.0-808 the last build in that series. If that works, you've been shafted from a great height.

TK4|2|1
Don't know if it's s clone or not, but the picture of the tv screen looks like an hdmi handshake error. Can you try scart input.

Andy_Hazza
20-03-16, 14:59
Could even try an early ViX Apollo release, pre 020 build.

pproductions
20-03-16, 15:23
Can't seem to find the older images on here. Any version I can try from Vu+ Update site?

I clicked on Vu+ Images 3.0 > Vu+ Solo2 and there's a list of zip files there.

Don't know if it's s clone or not, but the picture of the tv screen looks like an hdmi handshake error. Can you try scart input.

I tried phono leads but the screen was black this time on AV2/Component. Box still says "Starting..."

ccs
20-03-16, 15:28
This looks like the oldest...

http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Vu+Solo2/Archives%20Hades/openvix-Hades.004-vusolo2_usb.zip

Andy_Hazza
20-03-16, 15:33

http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Vu+Solo2/Archives%20Hades/openvix-Hades.004-vusolo2_usb.zip

If a clone that won't work. Needs to try ViX 3.0-808 or a very very early Apollo build.

ccs
20-03-16, 15:35
If a clone that won't work. Needs to try ViX 3.0-808 or a very very early Apollo build.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNo Apollo builds available anymore.

pproductions
20-03-16, 15:35

Images of the internals:

I'll see if I can find an older image because the official site doesn't have any archived...

EDIT:

Tried this image but does the same thing as Andy_Hazza said it wouldn't work.

If anyone has the old 3.0-808 image, please PM me.

Thanks.

EDIT2:

Could it be my USB? It is 64GB but properly formatted to FAT32. I'm waiting for the 8GB to be delivered today so going to try that later.

Andy_Hazza
20-03-16, 15:49
I've PM'd you.

pproductions
20-03-16, 16:28
Tried the 3.0-808 image but still does the same thing.

However, this time I'm not seeing a noisy screen, it's just black on HDMI.

Guessing the box is genuine in that case?

john doe
20-03-16, 16:35
You always say this. lol. Vu+ Solo2 does not have a bootloader!

Its true! I know I was stung on a duo, thought I would be clever and go cheap (ebay), rather than go to the sponsor, learnt my lesson. i know a few people who have bought of ebay and been stung , especially around the vu solo2 .

looking at the pictures it seems like a genuine box to me, and believe me I;ve seen a number of clones and can spot them miles away.

from what I remember, going back sometime, you had to flash bootloader, before flashing image . I suppose things change and that what happens when you don't keep up with the times

ronand
20-03-16, 16:36
Have you tried different cables and also scart? Make sure power is disconnected from the tv and satellite receiver before doing anything.

pproductions
20-03-16, 16:41
Have you tried different cables and also scart? Make sure power is disconnected from the tv and satellite receiver before doing anything.

I have no doubt that the update wasn't successful and that it isn't the output connection.

I don't see the Checking USB, UBIFS Update, Finished, Reboot in X messages during the flash process so it's just hanging probably with no image to load.

My scart leads are long gone with the old TV lol so can't test with scart unfortunately. Tried the phono leads earlier which gave no screen output too.

Peterj
20-03-16, 16:44
Is it connected to your network and can you figure out what IP number it gets? (look into your router, DHCP leases).
If it has an IP number, try it in your browser to see if you get the WebIF interface.

pproductions
20-03-16, 17:12
The box usually would connect to a TP-LINK Powerline Adapter which doesn't display as a connected device on the router for some reason.

Connecting the box directly into the VM Superhub 2ac still shows no connection. Can't see a matching MAC address on there. Guessing it's not booting past the internet connection stage.

Light seems to be a constant green with the orange light flashing meaning signals going through I guess.

So to answer the question, I can't get into the WebIF interface :(

pproductions
20-03-16, 17:45
Would trying the rear USB ports for flashing cause any harm? Thinking of giving those a shot if they help.

ronand
20-03-16, 17:46
It's recommended to only use the rear ports.

pproductions
20-03-16, 17:56
Ok thanks, I'll hold off on that one then. :thumbsup:

twol
20-03-16, 18:00
Would trying the rear USB ports for flashing cause any harm? Thinking of giving those a shot if they help.
Rear ports and nothing else connected would be worth trying.
Also providing that a usb stick is formatted correctly, I have never had one fail (and I know that is not typical) and I have used some pretty crappy sticks including one that comes apart but still works:)

Stanman
20-03-16, 23:13
Size of USB will not affect the flashing process. If it read it you should be fine.

Try with the HDD disconnected.

Use the HP toolbox format and than try with nothing connected

pproductions
21-03-16, 00:08
We have lift off!! :thumbsup:

So it was the USB I was using. 64GB I think was too much to handle.

My 16GB Cruzer Blade arrived today and voila, the image I originally tried (Openvix 3.2.037) and it worked a charm!

Already whizzing through setting up OpenViX, Blue HD skin and AutoBouqetsMaker.

Lesson learnt: Don't use larger USBs than advised. It's mentioned for a reason! lol.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it!