PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] 4K from Duo2

lscolman
18-03-16, 09:14
Hi,

Is 1080p output a hardware limitation, or could the Duo2 be coaxed into outputting a 4K signal?

Can anyone confirm if there will be other 4K boxes due from VU+ ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lee

DaMacFunkin
18-03-16, 09:22
1080p is a hardware limitation of the onboard video processing unit.

twol
18-03-16, 09:57
Hi,

Is 1080p output a hardware limitation, or could the Duo2 be coaxed into outputting a 4K signal?

Can anyone confirm if there will be other 4K boxes due from VU+ ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lee
"Can anyone confirm if there will be other 4K boxes due from VU+ ?"
Well, that's the way the industry is going, so once VU+ have fixed all the issues with their current 4K box, I am sure others will jump on the bandwagon :)

judge
18-03-16, 11:57
Others are working on their 4k boxes...

twol
18-03-16, 13:34
Others are working on their 4k boxes...

.... and hopefully learning from VU+'s issues so they don't have to reinvent the wheel:)

aido
18-03-16, 13:43
You can actually record the 4k demo channels on a 1080p receiver and then play the TS file back on some 4k TVs if you want to check the demos out they have running :)

Andy_Hazza
18-03-16, 14:34
You can actually record the 4k demo channels on a 1080p receiver and then play the TS file back on some 4k TVs if you want to check the demos out they have running :)

Why would you do this, as it won't have recorded in 4K?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aido
18-03-16, 15:00
I'd have thought you'd have known about that already but the raw stream is saved to disk in full 4k in the TS file - at least on my LX3 anyway.

The 1080p boxes can't play the video as they don't support the codec although you get the audio - but they can record both to disk as it's just dumping the raw stream.

Just tune into the Astra SES Ultra HD Demo channel and record that - there's no picture but bitrate viewer works too.

Then just transfer that over to a memory stick or DLNA server and play the TS file on your TV.

abu baniaz
18-03-16, 15:41
I know that using a DM500 (SD receiver) you could indirectly view HD channels by streaming them. I tried doing the same for the 4k on my LX3. it plays for a few seconds and stops.

Never tried recording until I saw your post. Have you tried playing back on a PC? If so, which program works for you?

5 min recording uses 900MB

aido
18-03-16, 15:54
I'm playing straight back onto a Panasonic 4k TV and it works a treat, that Astra demo channel on 28.2 is just a 15 min loop that is forever looping at the moment though but it's really impressive.

Did it not play back via VLC?

Seemed to be about 23Mbps CBR on that one :)

..:: Edit ::..
Just tried VLC with hardware decoding on and off and it barfs here - works fine on the TV though

It works in Potplayer here too :)