PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Backup Manager settings for Softcams

twol
17-03-16, 10:32
Noticed recently after flashing a new image that on a "settings restore" the softcam directory contents are also restored - now when I was using CCcam not really an issue but with Oscam there are frequent updates (or more frequent than CCcam :) ) .... and if you have specified Do Not Install Plugins ...... you still get the softcams installed :)
Also after flashing a new image and a "settings restore", installed Oscam version(s) does not show in installed plugins so unless you look in usr/softcams you don,t know what's there! ... and Yes you can also look in Softcam Manager to see what it thinks is there.

So shouldn't the default setting for "settings backup" be set to not include usr/softcams contents?? :) and also Installed Plugins should be changed to show ALL plugins :)

DaMacFunkin
17-03-16, 12:30
I thought with Oscam you got the contents of tuxbox/config restored because that is valuable data, but the actual Oscam plug in didn't restore and would need to be downloaded afresh if you chose not to restore plug ins, which doesn't really matter in relation to Oscam as the one in the vix feeds is called Oscam-latest and is updated with the latest stable release.

Trial
17-03-16, 13:03
Hi,
I think the softcams directory is backuped as settings to backup also 3rd party softcams.

ciao

twol
17-03-16, 13:40
Although, I have always added folders to my backups, its the first that I noticed that Backup Manager backs up not only the config file (which I think is the correct thing to do), but also the usr/softcams folder .... the surprise is that when you do a clean flash and only settings restore, the softcam is not only restored from the Backup (and therefore may not be up to date), but it doesn't show in removable plugins ... so the only way of removing is to freeze enigma, delete from the usr/softcams folder, restart and then re-install the latest version from the feeds.
Normally when you install from the feeds, it also shows in the removable plugins list ..... but on a fresh restore this doesn,t happen :)

At the moment I have removed the usr/softcams folder from my Backup Manager defaults :) ... just have to remember in future!

abu baniaz
17-03-16, 13:56
you don't need to stop enigma to remove softcam. just delete/replace it.

nor must you "install" it. if you are downloading latest oscam, just ftp binary to softcam folder, chmod 755, it will show in softcam manager.

tappari
17-03-16, 14:03
I thought with Oscam you got the contents of tuxbox/config restored because that is valuable data, but the actual Oscam plug in didn't restore and would need to be downloaded afresh if you chose not to restore plug ins, which doesn't really matter in relation to Oscam as the one in the vix feeds is called Oscam-latest and is updated with the latest stable release.
Working oscam /etc/tuxbox/configure files you should always store to your pc. Never trust restore backups.

twol
17-03-16, 15:27
you don't need to stop enigma to remove softcam. just delete/replace it.

nor must you "install" it. if you are downloading latest oscam, just ftp binary to softcam folder, chmod 755, it will show in softcam manager.

My concern is that if you are running with Oscam-latest (for example), flash a new image and restore backup settings, you have to remember to re-install Oscam-latest from the feeds even though you have a working Oscam ...... the temptation is to do nothing but you will at some stage have an "old" version :)
If the backup settings didn,t have a copy of Oscam-latest, you would be forced to download/install the latest version after a flash.