PDA

View Full Version : Sky HD box freeview channels unavailable

khan888
15-03-16, 18:49
Hi

I have a freeview cable in the back of my Sky HD box and took a cable from rf out to the bedroom.

I've scanned all freeview channels and also can pickup the channel the Sky HD box is currently on, all working great.

However I keep losing the freeview signal in the bedroom, just getting channel unavailable. It comes back every so often but the signal goes again. Aerial is ok as I all other TVs working ok and not losing any signal strength.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
15-03-16, 18:51
Freeview = Terrestrial, i,e aerail.

Sky boxes use satellite.

khan888
15-03-16, 18:59
Freeview = Terrestrial, i,e aerail.

Sky boxes use satellite.

Correct, but I have a freeview cable in the aerial in and a cable from rf out 2 to the bedroom. This gave me freeview channels and the channel from what the sky HD box was currently on in the bedroom

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160315/7cd3ca16ebc3cd0301743f0ff6cc295c.jpg

Bazzer
15-03-16, 19:20
Even to receive basic tv via the box you have to subscribe , I have it with VM just because the package is cheaper for broadband telephone etc and have a sky card for my Mutant not sure if this is the case with a Sky box.

abu baniaz
15-03-16, 19:21
Are other TVs also fed from the RF out of the sky HD box?

khan888
15-03-16, 19:27
Even to receive basic tv via the box you have to subscribe , I have it with VM just because the package is cheaper for broadband telephone etc and have a sky card for my Mutant not sure if this is the case with a Sky box.

Thanks for your reply, the channels on the sky HD box isn't the issue. The cable from my aerial goes into the back of the sky box and a cable from rf out to the bedroom. I can pickup all freeview channels (not via Sky but my aerial) using the inbuilt freeview tuner on the tv but lose the signal every so often.

Thanks

khan888
15-03-16, 19:28
Are other TVs also fed from the RF out of the sky HD box?

No only this tv. The other TVs are fed directly from the aerial.

Bazzer
15-03-16, 19:32
Yep understand now do you have another tv with a inbuilt tuner you could try

abu baniaz
15-03-16, 19:34
Is the Sky HD box in standby when this problem arises?

khan888
15-03-16, 19:47
Yep understand now do you have another tv with a inbuilt tuner you could try

No worries, I could maybe try another tv. I also have a cable directly from the aerial which never loses signal on this tv but wanted to get the channel from the sky box too.

Is the Sky HD box in standby when this problem arises?

The box is left in standby during the day but I lose signal when it's in use, not instantly maybe after 15-20 mins or so

abu baniaz
15-03-16, 19:53
There was meant to be a software update that killed off the rf output. Not sure if it was implemented. If the TV is fine using the direct aerial connection, maybe a separate RF modulator will work for you.

khan888
15-03-16, 20:00
There was meant to be a software update that killed off the rf output. Not sure if it was implemented. If the TV is fine using the direct aerial connection, maybe a separate RF modulator will work for you.

Ok cool, forgot to mention I never lose the picture from the sky channel only freeview side.

Anyway to take both cable into some sort of splitter on one out to the tv?

abu baniaz
15-03-16, 20:08
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mercury-Universal-Scart-to-RF-Video-Modulator-ILS102?filter_name=rf%20modulator

or Triax Tri link

http://www.triax.uk/Media/~/media/Files/Brochurer/UK%20brochures/Triax%20Tri-Link.ashx

khan888
15-03-16, 20:11
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Mercury-Universal-Scart-to-RF-Video-Modulator-ILS102?filter_name=rf%20modulator

or Triax Tri link

http://www.triax.uk/Media/~/media/Files/Brochurer/UK%20brochures/Triax%20Tri-Link.ashx

Thanks very much appreciate the help

adm
15-03-16, 21:34
Thanks for your reply, the channels on the sky HD box isn't the issue. The cable from my aerial goes into the back of the sky box and a cable from rf out to the bedroom. I can pickup all freeview channels (not via Sky but my aerial) using the inbuilt freeview tuner on the tv but lose the signal every so often.

Thanks

Are you sure that you have set the box's modulator channel number away from any channel numbers used by the local Freeview transmitter mast?

To modulate a sky signal TV picture on to the RF from your box it has to use a broadcast channel (frequency). On most boxes with a modulator this channel (frequency) is user selectable by way of the box's menu. The reason for this is that the channel( frequency) shouldn't clash with those channels that the broadcaster is using for Freeview in your area.

First, look up the broadcast channels used for Freeview in your area. For instance, if you were in the London area tuned to Crystal Palace the channels can be found at

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Crystal_Palace

and you will find that the transmitter uses broadcast channels 22, 23, 25, 26, 28 and 30
The channels used by transmitters elsewhere in the UK will be different.

Second, find the menu on your box that selects the channel number for the box's modulator and set it to a channel number away (preferably 3 channel numbers away) from any of the channel numbers used by the broadcaster for Freeview on your local transmitter. If the box channel number is changed you will have to retune the TV for the sky picture.

The available channel numbers on your box for the modulator should be in the range 21 to 65. Possibly better to chose a number lower in the range.

khan888
16-03-16, 00:37
Are you sure that you have set the box's modulator channel number away from any channel numbers used by the local Freeview transmitter mast?

To modulate a sky signal TV picture on to the RF from your box it has to use a broadcast channel (frequency). On most boxes with a modulator this channel (frequency) is user selectable by way of the box's menu. The reason for this is that the channel( frequency) shouldn't clash with those channels that the broadcaster is using for Freeview in your area.

First, look up the broadcast channels used for Freeview in your area. For instance, if you were in the London area tuned to Crystal Palace the channels can be found at

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Crystal_Palace

and you will find that the transmitter uses broadcast channels 22, 23, 25, 26, 28 and 30
The channels used by transmitters elsewhere in the UK will be different.

Second, find the menu on your box that selects the channel number for the box's modulator and set it to a channel number away (preferably 3 channel numbers away) from any of the channel numbers used by the broadcaster for Freeview on your local transmitter. If the box channel number is changed you will have to retune the TV for the sky picture.

The available channel numbers on your box for the modulator should be in the range 21 to 65. Possibly better to chose a number lower in the range.

Thanks adm I think your right. My sky box was broadcasting C27 and the Nottingham transmitter also broadcasts C27. I've changed to a channel which the Nottingham transmitter does not broadcast and all seems to be good.

Will test for a few days and report back.

Cheers for the help

khan888
16-03-16, 20:11
15 minutes into watching the sky HD box today and freeview channels unavailable in the bedroom..strange one this.

adm
16-03-16, 21:41
15 minutes into watching the sky HD box today and freeview channels unavailable in the bedroom..strange one this.

What is the quality of cable between the back of the Sky box and the TV in your bedroom?
Bill Wright's article from a decade+ ago explains the difference between commonly available cables (prices well out of date)

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml

Lesser coax aerial cables can pick up local electrical interference and kill your picture.
Does the cable run close to any possible source of interference, computers, phone base stations, etc.
For how long does the picture disappear? 10s of seconds? minutes? hours?

has your arrangement (to the bedroom) ever worked reliably?

khan888
16-03-16, 21:49
What is the quality of cable between the back of the Sky box and the TV in your bedroom?
Bill Wright's article from a decade+ ago explains the difference between commonly available cables (prices well out of date)

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/articles/coax-cable-quality.shtml

Lesser coax aerial cables can pick up local electrical interference and kill your picture.
Does the cable run close to any possible source of interference, computers, phone base stations, etc.
For how long does the picture disappear? 10s of seconds? minutes? hours?

has your arrangement (to the bedroom) ever worked reliably?

The cable being used is PF100 coaxial.

There is nothing close by that could cause interference that I can see of.

The picture disappears until the sky box has been put back into standby then freeview works again, not instantly but after a few minutes.

The cable has only just been put in and had this problem from the start. I also have a PF100 coaxial cable coming direct from the aerial with no interference.

Am I right to say I can use C30 on the receiver? I'm currently using the Nottingham transmitter.

Thanks

adm
16-03-16, 22:20
The cable being used is PF100 coaxial.

100% copper screening plus copper braid - one of the better quality cables so probably not the problem.

Just another idea - which may be c***

In the good old days of analogue TV being broadcast from the same transmitters as early digital the digital signal there could be a problem with the strong signal level from the analogue signal overloading (in a non-destructive way) the sensitive front end of digital tuners. This could case a loss of digital picture. Perhaps you may have the a similar problem with the modulated signal from the sky box being a much higher level that the signal from your aerial causing the front end of the TVs tuner to overload and destroying the integrity of the digital signal from the aerial.

Try an in-line attenuator of perhaps 3db or 6db in the cable (fitted just before the TV). Guide price 2GBP including postage.

http://www.beststuff.co.uk/store/TV-Attenuator.htm

C30 for Nottingham should be OK.

khan888
17-03-16, 13:53
Right think I may have sussed it. Noticed RF Power outlet supply was turned on, turned off and all good again now.