PDA

View Full Version : Moving away from SKY to what?

GrJaLeCo
08-03-16, 12:04
Hi all,

I'm a noob at all this SKY alternative STB magic, so please be gentle with me :)

Currently I have 2 SKY boxes (lounge and loft which is multiroom) both have their own 2 satellite cables attached (4 cables from my LNB) and both boxes wired into network.

The lounge box is just for the lounge TV. The loft box has a terrestrial cable attached and then RF2 connected to a booster which then has the other coaxial cables attached to the booster and they serve SKY to each bedroom and kitchen. Pretty normal set-up really.

The main bedroom TV is connected via HDMI and SKY eye (kids currently to small to have their own bedroom TV!) and the kitchen uses the coaxial TV cable to get analogue SKY and has a SKY eye attached.

How can I replicate this set-up using VU+ boxes and get the same SKY User Interface?

I hear that OpenVix is very good and has a SKY Blue HD plugin to give the same look and feel as SKY. Correct? Does it have all the SKY functionality like full EPG, series reminder and record?

I know that the SKY channels will be encrypted without a SKY subscription, but I have that covered ;)

Until today I thought I'd need 2 x VU+Duo2 boxes to replicate my current set-up, but today I hear about "Remote Stream Convert". Does this give me the ability to have a Duo2 or Solo 4K in the lounge as a server box (however that is set-up) and then have any number of other cheaper VU+ boxes set-up as clients (however that is set-up) in any other room which are connected to the same network and talk to the server box and access it's channels and saved content?

I assume with the same image and plugins it'll too look like SKY and have the ability to tell the server box to record a channel (if a tuner is free)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated on what I'd need/could buy to replicate my current SKY set-up :)

twol
08-03-16, 12:40
"Until today I thought I'd need 2 x VU+Duo2 boxes to replicate my current set-up, but today I hear about "Remote Stream Convert". Does this give me the ability to have a Duo2 or Solo 4K in the lounge as a server box (however that is set-up) and then have any number of other cheaper VU+ boxes set-up as clients (however that is set-up) in any other room which are connected to the same network and talk to the server box and access it's channels and saved content? "

RCSC or perhaps Fallback tuner option will allow one or more "client" receivers (with minimal tuner config) via a Lan connection to access the main "server" receiver - allowing the client receivers to access everything on the server and be independently controlled via their own remote...... as far as any user is concerned they have their "own" receiver setup.
However, when in use each client will use a tuner on the server, so if you have 3 bedrooms and you are viewing on the server at that time then you will need 4 tuners. If you want to record on the server at the same time, you will have to deny a client...... or do the recording on the client (which will need a free tuner to do so)
A good client is certainly the VU+ Zero. Server - there are plenty of better priced options other than VU, unless you have money to spare:)
VU4K - is an enthusiasts box, until VU manage to fix everything (but with VU's track record that could take some time) - certainly I wouldn't touch it at the moment - I have better uses for my money :)

GrJaLeCo
08-03-16, 14:34
Many thanks for your reply :)

So if I connect all 4 of my LNB cables to the "server" STB it could watch 1 channel and record 3 other channels. Let's say I have 3 VU+ Zero STB connected to the same network then all 4 STB could watch different channels?

What would happen if I added a 4th "client" STB to the network? Would it share a tuner? Share with who? Which STB would take control or have precedence?

The VU+ has a DVB-S2 connector on it. So, using this connector would save me from having to connect it to the network, but the downside would mean it would need it's own sub to decrypt channels whereas connecting to the network would mean just the "server" STB would need a sub?

So what "server" STB would you recommend?

Thanks again for any help given :)

psykix
08-03-16, 14:56
You would run your viewing card in the server, and the others connect to it as clients.

Bear in mind though, that the premium HD channels are paired to the receiver, so not watchable in anything other than the paired Sky box. It's also likely that the rest of the channels will follow suit in the not too distant future, just like Sky Italia.

psykix
08-03-16, 15:01
VU4K - is an enthusiasts box, until VU manage to fix everything (but with VU's track record that could take some time) - certainly I wouldn't touch it at the moment - I have better uses for my money :)

Out of interest, what are the issues with the VU4K? That was going to be my next receiver..

twol
08-03-16, 15:17
"So if I connect all 4 of my LNB cables to the "server" STB it could watch 1 channel and record 3 other channels. Let's say I have 3 VU+ Zero STB connected to the same network then all 4 STB could watch different channels? "
4 cables -> 4 tuners, Yes to record 1 channel and record 3 other channels ... assuming different transponders (minimum situation) :)
If you are watching TV using the Server (1 channel, no recording) and 3 Zero's then all could be watching and viewing different channels :)
You could only add another client IF you stop one of the others (cannot remember if standby does this, but don't think so) unless you are using the VU 4k with FBC tuners (I believe) ... but then it gets more complex :)

"The VU+ has a DVB-S2 connector on it. So, using this connector would save me from having to connect it to the network, but the downside would mean it would need it's own sub to decrypt channels whereas connecting to the network would mean just the "server" STB would need a sub?"
Correct ..... so better to connect via LAN ... which you really need anyway to update the boxes etc.

Which Server? VU, Xtrend. Mut@nt ..... depends on your money, and personal likes/dislikes ... they all deliver good quality results :)

twol
08-03-16, 15:24
Out of interest, what are the issues with the VU4K? That was going to be my next receiver..

The reason I say "enthusiast's" box, is there a list of driver issues/requirements outstanding ... just visit OpenPli
For those with the time, energy and enthusiasm (and money) I am sure its a worthwhile box ..... I am just hoping that by 3Q/4Q 2016 there will be other 4K receivers that deliver better quality from Day 1 ...but I am probably being over optimistic.
IF I had a requirement NOW for a 4K, I guess I would be tempted to have a play, but thankfully I do not :)

GrJaLeCo
08-03-16, 16:35
Thanks for your excellent replies :)

My preference is very shallow and that is to keep my wife happy with a nice looking STB that looks like SKY! :D

Think I'd try the OpenVix as it has the SKY Blue HD plugin.

I've settled on 2 (for now anyway) VU+ Zero connected to the home network (bedroom and kitchen), but not sure of the server STB yet. Money isn't an issue at this stage. I'd then get 1 sub for the server STB which the zero's can then use.

I' see I can perform series link and series record, but do I need a USB drive for pause and rewind on the server STB? I'm guessing if I add a USB flash drive to the Zero then I can pause and rewind and record the same channel.

MY LNB is a quad and I think you can get a octo LNB! No good doing that unless I can get a server STB with 8 LNB inputs which I cannot find one. That could then add plenty of Zero's :p

Any more help would be awesome :cool:

twol
08-03-16, 17:08
OK, second alternative :)
"MY LNB is a quad and I think you can get a octo LNB! No good doing that unless I can get a server STB with 8 LNB inputs which I cannot find one. That could then add plenty of Zero's "

Well you could run the Quad cables into a Multiswitch in perhaps the loft and then feed some of the Zeroś directly - normally a Multiswitch needs a Quattro LNB but the EMP Profi (see my signature) will take either (you set a dip switch that basically forces the Quad to act like a Quattro Lnb) - that way you can have up to 28 output cables

e.g. I run 2 dishes (28.2E and 19.2E) into a EMP Profi MS9/16 multiswitch feeding currently 5 receivers (2 Sat inputs each), with spare cables going into other rooms.
Simple solution, simple cabling but lots of cables to get through cable ducts :)
Also this way you have less need of a 4 tuner box as server and you could go for something like the ET8000 which would provide a nice lounge receiver at an excellent price.

Either solution will give you the ability to record, pause and rewind etc and also series link & record ... but you need to ask others about the latter as don't do a lot of that !

psykix
08-03-16, 18:13
Not sure what you mean by "get one sub" - if you are not using your own card in the "server" then chances are you will need one per box because resharing will be disabled.

twol
08-03-16, 18:54
OK, second alternative :)
"MY LNB is a quad and I think you can get a octo LNB! No good doing that unless I can get a server STB with 8 LNB inputs which I cannot find one. That could then add plenty of Zero's "

Well you could run the Quad cables into a Multiswitch in perhaps the loft and then feed some of the Zeroś directly - normally a Multiswitch needs a Quattro LNB but the EMP Profi (see my signature) will take either (you set a dip switch that basically forces the Quad to act like a Quattro Lnb) - that way you can have up to 28 output cables

e.g. I run 2 dishes (28.2E and 19.2E) into a EMP Profi MS9/16 multiswitch feeding currently 5 receivers (2 Sat inputs each), with spare cables going into other rooms.
Simple solution, simple cabling but lots of cables to get through cable ducts :)
Also this way you have less need of a 4 tuner box as server and you could go for something like the ET8000 which would provide a nice lounge receiver at an excellent price.

Either solution will give you the ability to record, pause and rewind etc and also series link & record ... but you need to ask others about the latter as don't do a lot of that !
Of course - you will only get the FTA channels this 2nd way, for the non Sky card boxes.

GrJaLeCo
09-03-16, 11:55
"Well you could run the Quad cables into a Multiswitch in perhaps the loft and then feed some of the Zeroś directly"

True and I like that idea. So, each Zero would get FTA channels, but would require it's own sub to access encrypted channels yes?

"e.g. I run 2 dishes (28.2E and 19.2E) into a EMP Profi MS9/16 multiswitch feeding currently 5 receivers (2 Sat inputs each), with spare cables going into other rooms.
Simple solution, simple cabling but lots of cables to get through cable ducts :)"

You don't have (or need) a sub on each box then?

Cheers.

twol
09-03-16, 12:25
"True and I like that idea. So, each Zero would get FTA channels, but would require it's own sub to access encrypted channels yes?"
Yes ........ but you can either use RCSC to access the encrypted channels or use the Fallback tuner alternative (means temporarily disabling the clients tuners)
To be honest the cheapest option would be to have just LAN connections plus RCSC - which would work but limit the number of boxes to the number of tuners - The ONLY advantage of having both is that you can have more receivers supported in the house (which is why I suggested the 2nd option), but obviously limited by the FTA issue.

"You don't have (or need) a sub on each box then?"
Well we normally watch mainly FTA English and German channels so no need for a sub on them - in fact my Bouquets are set up so that the 1st block of 100 is for German channels, which means I can keep normal Sky numbering and satisfy my German relatives :). The lounge box uses a normal official card.

GrJaLeCo
09-03-16, 15:53
So which is best (bit generic I know) VU+Duo2 or the Xtrend ET1000? Or would you recommend something else?

I like the idea of the VU as I'll be getting the Zero too.

Andy_Hazza
09-03-16, 16:23
The Vu+ Duo2 is an excellent receiver. Or you could also look at the Mut@nt HD2400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrJaLeCo
09-03-16, 16:37
I'm singling out the Xtrend ET1000 and VU+DUO2 or perhaps the Mut@nt HD2400 HD Quad Tuner Digital Receiver 4x DVB-S/S2 ahhhhhh brain is exploding!

ET1000 has HDMI In which is no good to me.

Both do the same thing more or less. Both can have Android and iPad watch stored content on the STB (I think). VU has screen which must get annoying with it flickering around whilst your trying to watch TV!

Anything else to worry about or other STB I should consider?

twol
09-03-16, 16:58
I'm singling out the Xtrend ET1000 and VU+DUO2.

ET1000 has HDMI In which is no good to me.

Both do the same thing more or less. Both can have Android and iPad watch stored content on the STB (I think). VU has screen which must get annoying with it flickering around whilst your trying to watch TV!

Anything else to worry about or other STB I should consider?

Cannot say anything bad about the ET10000 ( except I think the ET8000 is better value:) but you need 4 tuners, so :) ... .. I have had both.
Don,t know about the Vu, but fitting an internal disk in the Xtrend is childs play.
VU screen, yep understand that, which is why I like my ET8500 - unlike VU, at least Xtrend thought about it and gave you the facilities to display TV or skins and power off or dim to black after a set time period if that is what you want :) Mine flip to black after 5 minutes, and wake up when you do anything.
To be honest, Mut@nt, Xtrend, Vu+ will all do the job that you want, but (depending on who you listen to :) ) Xtrend/Vu have the better remotes.

gibbletts
09-03-16, 18:59
Vu duo 2 for me with twin cable and sat only supplying one other box via remotechannelstreamconverter but no issues even had channels are glitch free, be careful of spending a lot of money on a system that is running via anything other than your own original sky sub as everything could go tomorrow so if you aren't going to be happy just receiving freesat I'd stick with sky

GrJaLeCo
10-03-16, 08:11
I thought I'd order the VU+ Zero today from WoS to make sure I know how to install the SKY HD Skin and more importantly the cc***. I can then prove to my wife it does as we'd like and then I'll buy a quad tuner STB "server" for the lounge and move the zero to the bedroom and remove the cc*** (as it's not needed on that STB) and connect it to the "server" via ethernet. :)

Most cc*** provide a day trial, so does anyone know how I install it on the Zero? I hear people say "FTP it using DCC" but that means nothing to me! :confused: I need dummy instructions of what to use, where to go and the steps to perform.

Any ideas?

judge
10-03-16, 08:40
Any ideas?

Yes. Read the forum rules again.