PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Should Teletext work?

harryajh
06-03-16, 08:45
If I press the Teletext button on BBC/ITV, I get is 4 coloured boxes along the bottom of the page (unable to screenshot) but nothing else happens.

Does something somewhere need enabling or shouldn't it work anyway?

thanks

meatball1987
06-03-16, 09:32
Teletext has gone so there nothing to show that's why it don't work. Nothing to be done

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

electrocop
06-03-16, 12:57
Teletext still works fine on most European and Scandinavian channels. It's just the UK that spoiled everything by being incompatible with everyone else (yet again)!!!

ronand
06-03-16, 14:07
Teletext works fine when it is supplied by the broadcaster. Try RTE One (SD version) and you will see it working. You dont need to be a subscriber to try this. RTE dont even provide this teletext on DTT (they used to) which is baffling as I doubt it costs to include it with the broadcast seeing as they still update it for satellite.

Joe_90
06-03-16, 15:32
RTE use MHEG-5 for teletext service (Aertel) on DTT. This is the same middleware as used by BBC etc. for red button teletext services like news, weather. It's a licensed technology which is presumably why it is not on E2 receivers. I use DVBviewer Pro on a Windows machine and had to purchase a separate plugin to handle MHEG-5.

ronand
06-03-16, 15:38
I know. But there is nothing stopping RTE from broadcasting both services at the same time. Some people have older sets that are not MHEG-5 compatible. And as they are still maintaining the old service for one satellite channel I think they should still provide it on DTT. Cost is not a factor and they did provide it until about 2 years ago alongside the newer service. But such is life...

Joe_90
06-03-16, 16:19
The Saorview standard for DTT specifies MHEG so all compliant receivers and TVs will support this. I suspect the teletext broadcast on RTE on satellite is to provide the facility to older TVs as you say. As for not carrying teletext on Saorview, that would be a question for RTE or 2RN. There have been several changes to the Saorview data stream in the run up to digital switchover and afterwards, some of which affected folks using Freeview PVRs which had been working fine on series link. Another problem for people using UK-sourced TVs on Saorview is date and time handling when switching between summertime and wintertime. These issues could have been solved trivially by the broadcasters but they seem to be very focussed on keeping the Saorview standard "unique";)

harryajh
06-03-16, 17:10
thanks guys, that's what I sort of feared but always good to know, it's nothing I've messed up :)