PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a dish

Willmoore
05-03-16, 18:23
Put a satellite dish up today at a mates house (never put one up before) using an app on a smart phone as we didn't have any sort of meter.
After a bit of jigging about we managed to get most channels with a good SNR/AGC readings. One or two channels not so good. RTE1 & 2 showing 0% SNR/AGC so a blank screen and ITV 4 hd very low SNR/AGC which returns a blocky picture. As we have most channels I don't want to mess them up by altering the wrong thing.
So, before I buy a meter, any advise on what to alter first - up/down - left/right or the skew on the LNB ?

abu baniaz
05-03-16, 18:41
The apps on the phone are good enough.

The skew should be 7 o'clock as you look at the dish from the front.

Apply pressure on each "corner". If you get improvment, then that is the way to go. It will be minutest of adjustments.

twol
05-03-16, 19:25
Once you have a good directional signal, just loosen the elevation screws and slowly adjust up and down to get best recption.
Then try adjusting the direction once more, but when you have best position make sure you tighten up the pole screws evenly or you will pull the dish off the optimum signal.
Then do the skew!
As Abu has commented very small increments are good!

Willmoore
06-03-16, 15:56
Went round today to tweek the dish and all channels were working perfectly - very strange.

Joe_90
06-03-16, 16:07
I think I read that RTE moved transponders a couple of weeks ago, so you may have been using out of date tuning info when you initially installed the dish which has since been updated by an ABM scan.