PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] HDMI Quality Issue

MikeBag
05-03-16, 00:37
Hi there,

I have a VU+Solo2 just purchased and the screen output quality is not as good on VIX version 36 or 37.

Do you know if there is a problem with the drivers for the HDMI output on the new release?

Will this be resolved in the next release?

DaMacFunkin
05-03-16, 06:47
Not as good as on which other version?
There hasn't been a driver update from VU+ since the 1st of december and that update was supposed to fix their dodgy usb tuner so you have to be more specific.

adm
05-03-16, 08:55
What are your AV settings on the box and have they changed with a image update? If in the UK you need to set 1080i and 50Hz for TV broadcasts, assuming a TV that can support 1080 lines..

Willmoore
05-03-16, 09:26
What are your AV settings on the box and have they changed with a image update? If in the UK you need to set 1080i and 50Hz for TV broadcasts, assuming a TV that can support 1080 lines..
What difference does it make ? I have tried mine on 1080p/multi and 1080i/50hz and it looks exactly the same.

john doe
05-03-16, 10:08
What difference does it make ? I have tried mine on 1080p/multi and 1080i/50hz and it looks exactly the same.

not true, I have played around with my solo2 and if I have it set at 1080i at multi rate and quality for better than other settings.

I doubt it the hdmi , unless the hdmi is faulty or connection between hdmi and the socket somewhere is not connecting

adm
05-03-16, 10:21

Possibly it depends on your TV, its ability to change the format you give it and its native resolution. With some TVs image manipulation it achieves is better than that can be obtained by a set top box and with other TVs visa-versa. Some TVs/boxes may achieve a downsize by throwing away information and an up-scale by duplicating information while other TVs/boxes may use more sophisticated algorithms.

The difference between 1080i and 1080p when the input source is 1080i may just be a duplication of line information. The TV may be doing similar with 1080i so you wouldn't see any difference.

Not everyone has a 1080 line resolution TV. Some people may have screens with 720 line resolution and others with resolutions based on PC monitors (non-standard TV formats). Some people have their TVs set to over scan which also requires a resolution change. The fewer image resolution changes in the chain from your box to the TVs screen then more chance of a better picture.

In the context of this thread the bigger the number doesn't always mean the better picture. Sometimes it may be better to set the AV settings to the screen resolution of the TV and let the box do the conversions and for other TVs let the TV do the conversion.

Willmoore
05-03-16, 11:38
Possibly it depends on your TV, its ability to change the format you give it and its native resolution. With some TVs image manipulation it achieves is better than that can be obtained by a set top box and with other TVs visa-versa. Some TVs/boxes may achieve a downsize by throwing away information and an up-scale by duplicating information while other TVs/boxes may use more sophisticated algorithms.

The difference between 1080i and 1080p when the input source is 1080i may just be a duplication of line information. The TV may be doing similar with 1080i so you wouldn't see any difference.

Not everyone has a 1080 line resolution TV. Some people may have screens with 720 line resolution and others with resolutions based on PC monitors (non-standard TV formats). Some people have their TVs set to over scan which also requires a resolution change. The fewer image resolution changes in the chain from your box to the TVs screen then more chance of a better picture.

In the context of this thread the bigger the number doesn't always mean the better picture. Sometimes it may be better to set the AV settings to the screen resolution of the TV and let the box do the conversions and for other TVs let the TV do the conversion.

Thank you for that explanation ( I would be lying if I said I understood it all :o) I have 2 x 50inch tv's(LG/Samsung) one using a VU Solo2 and the other using a VU Zero. I have swapped between 1080 p & i and 50hz 60hz and multi and see no difference on either TV. I have imo an excellent picture on both. Going round a mate's later to help him set up an Edison I'll have a look and see if there is any difference on his.

DaMacFunkin
05-03-16, 12:30
i've already written this in another thread this morning, but here we go again. the highest standard you get in UK broadcast tv is 1080i, you should only set your box to 1080p if your tv is terrible at de-interlacing or you notice no difference in which case it probably won't make any difference to you, there is no line doubling as 1080i and 1080p are the same pixel resolution :eek:
What you may find on some tv's is the ability to change the behaviour of the de-interlacer, on my Samsung under film mode i have Auto1 which is better for video (most tv programs) and Auto2 which is better for film content such as Sky Movies HD.