PDA

View Full Version : TV recommendation

dbmx
26-02-16, 16:41
Afternoon,

I am in the market to purchase a new tv, I am after a 4k 40 to 55 inch .
Any recommendations on make or models need to have min of 4 HDMI inputs not really fussy on smart as I don't use it on the tv I have but I don't supposes there is no option.

Thanks
dbmx:

DaMacFunkin
26-02-16, 16:54
Seriously m8 at 40 inch you would be better of getting a better quality 1080p, what's your budget?

dbmx
26-02-16, 17:12
£12,000 max

joysleep1
26-02-16, 17:37
Seriously m8 at 40 inch you would be better of getting a better quality 1080p, what's your budget?

What is wrong with getting a 40inch 4k telly?

twol
26-02-16, 17:46
Then go for one of LG,s 2016 Oleds ....E6 or top of line G6
In your size smallest is the entry 55 inch E6 at about 5 -> 6k euros but has everything with HDR (including Dolby vision) /4K
By far the best 4K TV,s at the moment ... If I had the need for a new TV .... And the ability to convince my wife to spend that much money, thats what I would go for :)

Ashley69
26-02-16, 18:45
£12,000 max

Bloody Hell. Will that be Gold plated?. :smiley_yup:
But good luck if you have a top budget like that.
As twol has said have a look a the LG's. They are bringing out some top TV's.

dbmx
26-02-16, 19:12
£1,200 sorry.

Ashley69
26-02-16, 19:15
£1,200 sorry.

Had a feeling this might be the case. But LG are doing some great TV's within this budget. New Sony's also look good.

Ev0
26-02-16, 19:37
Samsung JS8000 if you want flat or JS8500 if you don't mind curved.

However stretch to the JS9000 if you can.

twol
26-02-16, 19:58
If you have to buy Samsung then make sure it has hdr, which most of their 2016 models have .....

Stanman
26-02-16, 20:32
Hisense 55 or 65 K720. It's a FALD with a fantastic. Picture, currently 970 on Amazon. It's curved but you don't notice it at unless sitting at a 45 degree or angle.

Possibility of HDR as well.

I saw life of pi demo on a js9k in currys and the night starry scene was crystal clear on the k720 in comparison.

The only downsize is to get the best PQ you need to set it up, outbox it's not good

Ev0
26-02-16, 20:36
I saw life of pi demo on a js9k in currys and the night starry scene was crystal clear on the k720 in comparison.

I'm sorry, but you know better than that.

Just because 1 set looks better in shop, doesn't mean it is.

twol
26-02-16, 21:01
Unless you have the money to buy an LG 4K oled, the rest are all edge lit Lcd and (as long as they have hdr) are all in the same ballpark ( although Samsung marketing will spend more than the rest of the industry to convince you otherwise) so choose the one that fits your budget and looks,good to you.

Bazzer
26-02-16, 21:26

Smack on Evo I remember when 3d first it the scene in shop looked amazing got hooked bought one got it home nothing like it was in shop. If that makes sense .:trustme:

adm
26-02-16, 22:17

+1
Retail outlets tend to show TVs using particular Bluray/DVDs or cartoon content where there is not a lot graduation in colour. They will also tend to set-up the TV with the largest profit margin better than the ones where they make less profit[1]. Most TVs come with shop and home default setting with the shop setting designed to give a more 'punchy' picture that you would soon tire of in the home environment. Even the home default settings often can be much improved.

What you should also consider when buying a TV is what you will will watching most. Will it be the over-compressed poor bit-rate SD broadcasts? If so you need to consider the quality of the image processing engine in the TV and perhaps the quality of the up-scaling.

Viewing a TV in a retail outlet may help in eliminating some models. Always check the viewing angles and the quality of the picture at different angles. Don't just stand in front of the TV, move to the side and see if the picture degrades (contrast or colour changes). If you are going to install it on a wall above eye height when seated bend down in the shop a view the screen looking up to check for picture changes. In most domestic environments there will be only one seat in the optimal viewing position.

Don't assume that if brand X's flagship mega-inch TV uses that best screen technology in the world that all TVs with different screen sizes from brand X (and in the same range) use the same technology.

[1] The worst shop display I've seen was when they were trying to sell a £100 gold plated, snake oil, connection lead. Two TVs showing the same picture, one set up perfectly and the other with washed out colour and poor contrast. Guess which TV was connected with the £100 cable?

ccs
26-02-16, 22:28
Any advice on sound features/specifications?

In particular, DVB-T2 HD sound levels are often very low, giving very poor overall quality.

Are soundbars/soundbases a solution?

adm
26-02-16, 22:50
Any advice on sound features/specifications?

In particular, DVB-T2 HD sound levels are often very low, giving very poor overall quality.

Are soundbars/soundbases a solution?

I found that the way that the Enigma 2 boxes handle AAC5.1 dolby as used on some UK HD terrestrial broadcasts (BBC channels especially) is very poor when combined with my Onkyo Surround Sound AV Amp. I suspect that the down-mix to stereo is incorrectly implemented in these boxes! While a sound bar may improve the overall audio quality over that provided by the small speakers in many flat TVs they are unlikely to give any meaningful improvement for AAC5.1 encoded material.

I got so fed up with the poor quality of the audio I switched my terrestrial tuners for satellite tuners which uses a different audio encoding on UK HD broadcasts.

I have a Extrend 10K with 4 tuners, 2 of which are SD/HD terrestrial but I reserve these for only recording SD broadcasts.

If your problem is sound level only. You set up your TV volume to make the sound volume acceptable for a HD broadcast with AAC5.1 or AAC2 and then tune the box to a SD only channel and use the volume control to match the level for the HD broadcast.

Stanman
26-02-16, 23:39

I wasn't saying the shop one looked better it actually looked worse. Granted light etc makes a difference but the clarity of the image just want there in the shop js9000 even after making adjustments to it

ccs
27-02-16, 11:27
I found that the way that the Enigma 2 boxes handle AAC5.1 dolby as used on some UK HD terrestrial broadcasts (BBC channels especially) is very poor when combined with my Onkyo Surround Sound AV Amp. I suspect that the down-mix to stereo is incorrectly implemented in these boxes!I assume that the "raw" sound track on freeview HD is captured unaltered on a VIX recording,
and the Dolby Digital/DTS downmix" option in the A/V settings is the only thing that can be changed at the VIX end.
Is there not an amp capable of maintaining the sound quality, or is the enigma2 implementation messing things up before it gets to an amp?
I haven't got a tv with freeview hd tuners, but I was under the impression that audio was implemented ok on them.

If it is an enigma2 issue, are there any plans to sort it?

birdman
27-02-16, 13:06
I haven't got a tv with freeview hd tuners, but I was under the impression that audio was implemented ok on them.I do have one (a Sony) and it is OK on that. At least judging by the fact that I don't need to increase the volume level in the way that I need to for some HD playbacks via my MBTwin (particularly noticeable on Doctor Who).

adm
27-02-16, 16:27
I do have one (a Sony) and it is OK on that. At least judging by the fact that I don't need to increase the volume level in the way that I need to for some HD playbacks via my MBTwin (particularly noticeable on Doctor Who).

The BBC use AAC2 and AAC5.1 with the later being used for a minority of broadcasts. Dr Who is broadcast on HD with AAC5.1 audio.

I believe that part of the Freeview HD licensing that any box/TV branded with the Freeview/YouView logo (HD only - not SD boxes) should handle the AAC5.1 audio, often by converting it to AC3. Even the cheap Freeview HD boxes will perform this conversion allowing connections to surround sound amplifiers.

Feeding the raw AAC5.1 audio from a Enigma2 box into a TV with T2 tuners and with a Freeview logo may/will give correct decoding of the audio.

If however the TV only has SD tuners and the Enigma box is being used as the sole source of decoding HD then the TV is unlikely to accept AAC5.1 and the user has to resort to a stereo down-mix performed on the Enigma 2 box. I believe that it is this stereo down-mix that is flawed on these boxes and IMO produce a low volume, rather muffled, ill defined audio far inferior to that on the equivalent SD terrestrial channels and a million miles away from that found on the equivalent satellite HD channels. An alternative is to feed the audio stream into an AV amplifier. Albeit a few years old, my AV amp doesn't decode AAC5.1 from my box although it does handle most other formats. A quick check on the specification on a few newer top end AV amps doesn't show specific support for AAC5.1.

In addition, what a AV amp may handle correctly may be due to the method of connection - HDMI or optical/coax.

ccs
27-02-16, 17:52
Feeding the raw AAC5.1 audio from a Enigma2 box into a TV with T2 tuners and with a Freeview logo may/will give correct decoding of the audio.
Doesn't birdman's post suggest that it won't give the correct decoding, or might it be tv specific?

I do have one (a Sony) and it is OK on that. At least judging by the fact that I don't need to increase the volume level in the way that I need to for some HD playbacks via my MBTwin (particularly noticeable on Doctor Who).
If I ever get a new tv, it would be nice to think that this audio problem could be overcome.

cactikid
27-02-16, 17:57
have lg tvs come on leaps and bounds as i remember for every 10 units sold at least 3 would come back faulty in a few years = short life:eek: most of mine non lg were 10-15 years old using scart and vcr technology:D

ccs
27-02-16, 18:16
... I've only ever had sony tv's, and I reckon I've only bought 3 since the late 1970's.:)

Walt
28-02-16, 19:08
Do NOT buy a Sony atm. Their firmware is appalling! Samsung, LG or Panasonic are the only tvs worth buying now. Other names are just rebadged rubbish.