PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] OpenVPN Issue

TerryB
26-02-16, 11:28
I had been having issues whereby when I do a Restart my Solo2 would attempt to restart but fail and stay unresponsive with VU+ Solo2 on the front display. No response to the power button either by the remote or the front touch sensitive button.

I updated to the latest release OpenVix 3.2.037 and set up my unit and attempted a restart after each step.

Installed my softcam (mgcamd 1.38) and restarted - all OK
Installed skin VXMBC_1080_Confluence - restarted - all OK
Installed OpenVPN, added my PIA files (ca.crt; Client.conf & crl.pem) started OpenVPN all seemed OK - attempted restart - FAILED

To get my Solo2 working again I have to reflash, I am unable to do anything else as the unit is not even connected to my network so webif or telnet is not an option.

Current workaround is not to have OpenVPN running but it is something that I want.

Any ideas please?

twol
26-02-16, 12:08
So if its not connected to the network how are you installing the plugins? ...and what is OpenVpn there for?

birdman
26-02-16, 12:10
To get my Solo2 working again I have to reflash, I am unable to do anything else as the unit is not even connected to my network so webif or telnet is not an option.

Current workaround is not to have OpenVPN running but it is something that I want.If it's not connected to a network, why do you need OpenVPN and how did you install the packages?

TerryB
26-02-16, 12:12
Sorry that you misunderstood, probably my mistake. It is normally connected to my network but when it fails to restart then it does not connect so there are no means of communicating with the unit

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

twol
26-02-16, 12:57
Its unlikely to be completely dead :) , which probably means that you can access through Telnet providing you know the IP address and obtain the boot up log information ... you can probably go via rs232 (assuming the receiver has one, which mine don't :) ) or login via Putty (assuming Windows), type Init 4, wait 30 secs and then Enigma2 to pick up the information.

TerryB
26-02-16, 16:19
Its unlikely to be completely dead :) , which probably means that you can access through Telnet providing you know the IP address and obtain the boot up log information ... you can probably go via rs232 (assuming the receiver has one, which mine don't :) ) or login via Putty (assuming Windows), type Init 4, wait 30 secs and then Enigma2 to pick up the information.

Many thanks for the response.

The unit is not visible on my network - I now its IP address as my DHCP server allocates the unit a static IP.
The Solo2 does have an RS232 port but not a route that I want to go down really.

I have noticed that once I start the OpenVPN it will not stop, but if I remove the service (red button) the restart all works OK.
I have also noticed that when I attempt to start the service by pressing the green button nothing seems to happen until I press the yellow (Autostart) then Autostart shows Enabled & the service Starts. :confused:

There seems to be a glitch with the OpenVPN or with my VPN provider (PIA)

Any further ideas???

judge
26-02-16, 17:01
There seems to be a glitch with the OpenVPN or with my VPN provider (PIA)

Or your configs.

birdman
26-02-16, 18:02
Can you please explain to me why you are installing OpenVPN on the box?

My picture of using OpenVPN is either as a client, in which case you don't need to run anything at system start-up time. or as a server, but in that case you put it onto the "relay" system which is actually connected to the Internet (so your modem/router, but not your OpenVix box).

Clearly I'm missing something.

TerryB
26-02-16, 19:00
Can you please explain to me why you are installing OpenVPN on the box?

My picture of using OpenVPN is either as a client, in which case you don't need to run anything at system start-up time. or as a server, but in that case you put it onto the "relay" system which is actually connected to the Internet (so your modem/router, but not your OpenVix box).

Clearly I'm missing something.

The reason is twofold, 1) to hide my true IP and 2) to allow access to streams from countries that do not allow UK Ip addresses.

birdman
26-02-16, 19:19
The reason is twofold, 1) to hide my true IP and 2) to allow access to streams from countries that do not allow UK Ip addresses.I still don't get it.
How do you connect to the Internet? In my picture of things, your ISP provides the IP address that everyone else sees.

TerryB
26-02-16, 19:31
You are correct that my ISP does provide my IP address but with a VPN like Private Internet Access my real IP address is hidden and I can choose where I want my IP address 'appear' to be located. It is currently set for US East so if I were to go to http://www.whatsmyip.org/ it will not show my real IP address.

Hope that clears things up for you a bit

birdman
26-02-16, 19:35
You are correct that my ISP does provide my IP address but with a VPN like Private Internet Access my real IP address is hidden ....
Hope that clears things up for you a bitSurely this means you are going via some external third party (if not, how can your ISP route things)?
So you are actually running client-side VPN (you connect to someone else - not them connecting to your OpenVix box)?

TerryB
26-02-16, 19:43
Yes, I am connecting by a third party via OpenVPN with the config files provided by PIA. I could have bought a different router with the PIA config set in there but I have chosen to go the route that I have. Android devices can also be protected the same way.

Have a look at Private Internet Access web site, better explanations are there, as I admit, a lot of it goes over my head. :confused:

birdman
26-02-16, 19:51
Yes, I am connecting by a third partyOK. So whatever you are doing doesn't actually need to be done at start-up.
You say that you had it running OK, but the problems occurred on a restart.
How are you connecting the start-up that you did for testing (the one which worked) into he boot sequence (the one which didn't).
The first thing to check is that your config allows direct access to the local network, even once the VPN is running.

TerryB
26-02-16, 19:58
OK. So whatever you are doing doesn't actually need to be done at start-up..

It does when OpenVPN is set to automatically start - I do not know at what stage in the boot up OpenVPN is started.

I just did simple tests by flashing then adding a single item - skin etc and doing a restart. It only failed after I installed and run OpenVPN. When I remove the service or install the service without running it the my Solo2 restarts as expected.

It may have been like this for a week or so as I had not restarted, I had only used 'standby' and 'RestartGUI'.

Therefore in my world there is an issue with OpenVPN or it could even be a clash with OpenVPN and something else - Skin??

It doesn't appear that anyone else has had issues

judge
27-02-16, 02:44
No VPN should be terminated on an E2 box, however it's your choice if you want to do so.
If you're adding config files that are killing your network, that should be the first thing you try to fix, no matter what our provider gave you.

TerryB
27-02-16, 09:54
No VPN should be terminated on an E2 box, however it's your choice if you want to do so.
If you're adding config files that are killing your network, that should be the first thing you try to fix, no matter what our provider gave you.

Sorry, not sure what you mean about your first statement. :confused: If you could explain further I would appreciate it. *edit - just searched and found some other posts of yours regarding this subject: very helpfull - not so confused now :eek:

The config is not killing my network, it works correctly except that the Solo2 will not perform a proper restart

birdman
27-02-16, 11:44
The config is not killing my network, it works correctly except that the Solo2 will not perform a proper restartSo it's possible that what is getting started on a reboot is not the same as what you were starting by hand.

TerryB
29-02-16, 11:05
For the moment I have stopped attempting to use OpenVPN. Everything is working perfectly at present so I will probably end up using a VPN on my router.

TerryB
29-02-16, 11:06
Many thanks for all the assistance