PDA

View Full Version : Storing EPG and picons on internal HDD

dangerousmouse
24-02-16, 23:03
Hi all
I'm currently storing my picons and EPG on my internal HDD (recordings are set to HDD as well)
Everythings working just fine but it did cross my mind that the HDD would be in constant use with everything pointing to the HDD.
Question? would using a SD card to store the EPG and picons on save my HDD wearing out prematurely (just use the HDD for recording and timeshift)
Or is this a normal set up with everything on the HDD - will it be OK for a few years? am i worrying over nothing?
Any comments welcomed :)

abu baniaz
24-02-16, 23:11
EPG can be on HDD, it is not accessed constantly.

If your HDD is used for automatic timeshift, it is constaly spinning so you can use that for Picons

If you do not have automatic timeshift, picons can be on internal flash memory or USB/SD card. Downside of internal flash memory is that the picons will get wiped upon flashing a new image. But it is the fastest.

Clabs
24-02-16, 23:20
As Abu says, flash will be fastest for picons but if you are using permanent timeshift and are happy with the performance of your receiver (you don't say that you are not!) then I would leave things as they are. HDDs seem to have a pretty decent lifespan these days and there is certainly less strain on it if it is constantly spinning rather the extra load every time it spins up.

dangerousmouse
24-02-16, 23:41
I'm yet to fault this receiver [emoji3]

abu baniaz
24-02-16, 23:44
Please note:

Thread will be moved to the ViX-Team-Images-Support-Discussion section. It is best to use the image support section for image issues as problems/solutions are usually the same irrespective of receiver. It also helps others searching for the same issue although they may have another receiver.

Please read the thread in link below which explains things better.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section)!

No harm has been done, no need to apologise. Please bear in mind for future support questions.

2stein
25-02-16, 11:27
Downside of internal flash memory is that the picons will get wiped upon flashing a new image.
unless you select the dir for backup. then they are restored with the next restore backup.

Iboxking
25-02-16, 13:18
When my bougusts updates at night my box freezes when i turn my tv on in the morning happens every night. And softcam 2.3.0 is active but every morning i have to activate it again? I never turn my box of other.