PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo SE] TimeShifting bug

linus
23-02-16, 22:44
Hello, i have just found a timeshifting problem on the .37.

I do not know if it was there before but i could reproduce it every time.

1) press pause to start timeshifting and wait how log has you want (it work even with a short pause or a long)
2) press play
3) forward and return to "play". That is to say, forward enouth go back to "live".

Then, you could no more do backward. (perhaps it's normal, but i would prefer that the timesfhifting continue, because if you forward to much, you could not go back, you lose your timeshift...)
But, you could not put "pause" any more.
I have to press "stop" then i could do it again.

It's like it stop the timeshifting but not really stop in fact. So you could not go back, but you could not pause any more except if you press stop (or perhaps change channel)

I come from the .36 with online update (i do not know if it change something or not)

Thank's

linus
23-02-16, 23:48
Hello:

More information:
I have made a clean flash of the 0.37 on USB.
Then restore my settings (so made from 0.36) ==> it's the same

I have enabled automatic timeshfting after 10s. ==> it works, i could backward then forward to return to live with no problem.
So it's just on manual timeshifting.

Does any one else confirm the bug?

kryton
24-02-16, 01:10
Ive tried the above on the same build and timeshift works perfectly.
Maybe it's something to do with restoring your 0.36 settings.
I had problems with plugins and network mounts after restoring setting from 0.33...
I did a clean install of 037 and set my box up as new without restoring settings and its fine now.
Also my timeshift settings is set to start after 2 seconds...not sure if that will make a difference.

linus
24-02-16, 09:15
Hello, thank you for your answer.
In fact, i dont try a clean instal without restoring setitng, i will test.

But as i said, if i enable permanent shift (regardless the value you set) it works.
I could forward and return to live, then backward with no problem.(so like you)

It's only when i disable permanent shift that the problem happen.
Could you test with permanent shift disabled to see if it's ok for you or if you have got the same problem?

thank's. :)

linus
24-02-16, 19:09
Ok so i have made a clean install of .37.
Do not restore setting.

Make a scan of the channel.
Touch nothing in the setting.
Reboot to be sure that all is ok.

And the problem is still there. So it's not related to restoring setting or some configuration.

EDIT:
Tested on 0.36 ==> Same problem, so it's not a problem that start in 0.37, it was already there in the 0.36 if it could help you to investigate.

linus
24-02-16, 20:26
If it could help, i test VTI+ image, and with the latest, i do not have this problem. It work like it should in it. with the same settings.

linus
24-02-16, 23:23
If it could help too, it work on blackHole too.

I don t know what could be the problem on OpenVix.
I would prefer to use OpenVix has it was the one that contain everything i need with something clear and stable.

What could i do to help you to solve this problem?
Could you reproduce it too?

kryton
25-02-16, 00:57
I see what your saying now and the same happens to me if i disable timeshift.
But i dont think this is a bug,its my understanding if you disable timeshift and the press pause all your doing is pausing live tv...
And once the recording catches back up with its timeline the recording is deleted...otherwise it just clogs up hard drive space, i assume this is implemented by the developer.
My samsung tv does the same thing when pausing live tv to a usb memory stick.
I would just enable timeshift, but if your worried about HDD space after zapping just set timeshift-save action on zap to "dont save"

linus
25-02-16, 09:00
Hello,

Ok so, even if i doupts that it is the case, it could be a choice from the developper to stop timeshifting when return to live with forward.
So ok, we can imagine that it's the case.

So if it stop timeshifting, why could i not put pause again? It does nothing after that.
I have to put "stop" (if timeshifting is already stop, what does it stop????) to be able to put pause again and start a new timeshift.

In fact, whenever the goal was there is a bug.
If it does not stop the timeshifting, there is a bug because we could not backward or pause after.
If it stop the timesifting, we should be able to press pause again and start a new timeshifting as it is already stop.

I will try to see if the timeshifting continues to work in background.

2stein
25-02-16, 10:01
well, i have never had a problem starting (pause) and stopping (stop) timeshift multiple times.
i have disabled the choice at the end of timeshifting (in timeshift settings) what you want to do, though (as it doesn't work to my liking (is that better wording, abu? ;-))

linus
25-02-16, 10:27
Hello, could you add some information?
I could not see exactly the setting you are talking? :(
I do not want to disable the choice after timeshifting! I wan t it. :)

The ideal case i want is:
I put pause, timeshifting start.
After that, nothing should stop timeshifting except "stop" or changing a channel and only if the user confirm.

That's normaly what it does, but, the problem is when you return to live.

I have write the process to reproduce it. :)
So with the default setting (no permanent shift).
Pause/play/stop/fast backward/fast forward work until you do not forward enouth to return to live.
For exemple if you press pause, wait 10s, then forward 5s, then press pause, or backward etc, it works.
It's when you forward 10s and return to live that the problem goes.

It's easy to reproduce it:
With default setting of timeshifting (no permanent shift, ask user on change etc, so with a clean instal changing nothing on the setting, just scan to get channel)

Press pause. (wait the time you want, 2/3s is enouth, or more if you want)
Press fast forward enouth to return to live.
==> you could no more press backward, you could no more press pause, or play.

You have to press "stop" before be able to start a new timeshift and do everything you want.

2stein
25-02-16, 10:49
ask user on change

this is the setting i was referring to. i set this to "don't ask, always stop.".

==> you could no more press backward, you could no more press pause, or play.

i guess it's normal that you can't press backward, forward, or play, after you returned to live tv.
but what works imho is "pause" which starts a new timeshift. (will have to double check tonight.)

linus
25-02-16, 11:52
this is the setting i was referring to. i set this to "don't ask, always stop.".

Ok, but that's not what i want.
I will test to see if it change something.

i guess it's normal that you can't press backward, forward, or play, after you returned to live tv.
but what works imho is "pause" which starts a new timeshift. (will have to double check tonight.)
As i said, perhaps it's normal not to be able to press backward if timeshift is stop when return to live (i will see if it's really stopped or not, it's not the case on vti+ or Blackhole),
And as you are on live forward could nothing it's normall too

But pause do nothing anymore. Nothing hapen when i press pause.
If i do not press Stop button, pause will do nothing any more on this channel.

That's what i try to explain a lot of time. :(

Perhap's it's related to the option that you are talking, but even that, it's still a bug that pause do nothing after that.

linus
25-02-16, 20:48
Hello,

So i have made some test, and i confirm that the problem is always here whenever the setting you choose in timeshifting (except permanent shift), i have tested all the setting (do not ask to user and do not ask on channel change) and always have the same result!

So the first case:

As i said, i put pause, then play, then fastforward to return to live.
The file is already here on the timeshifting repertory:

But as i was thinking, in fact timeshifting is already running!
you could see that the file continue to grow, but i could not do backward...
And i could not do pause as i have said! So it's locked into "live"

If i put stop, the file is deleted and i could put pause again.

But, i always got this whenever are the settings!
If you use manual setting, and return to live with forward, you ALWAYS have this result!
If you use stop to return to live it's ok.

So i confirm that there is a REAL bug when you do not use permanent shiifting.

What shall i do to help you more?
Without this bug, it would be perfect.

linus
27-02-16, 12:47
Hello,

What shall i do to help to solve this problem?
I have take a look on the Git, and see the timeshifting source, but it would be more related to the "player", and i do not find the source for the moment...

If i could do things to solve it, i would do it, but for the moment, i see nothing i could do more, except wait with no information of if someone is looking for or if nobody take care of it. :baby:
And as i do not know where to take a look, i could even do nothing more then report the problem. :(

linus
16-03-16, 19:46
Hello, for information, has i do not found any solution and do not have any information, i flash openAtv, and all works like a charm so i stay on it.