PDA

View Full Version : Skin Design - Menus & Submenus

kiddac
23-02-16, 15:32
I am currently experimenting with the design of a new TIVO style skin as an alternative to the existing tivo/virgin style skins that already exist. I have run into a bit of a problem that I am hoping some of the brains on here will be able to help with.

In most modern interfaces, menus and sub menus are shown side by side. As shown below

When I am scrolling down the left menu, I am hoping to show it's sub menu on the right, just as a text list.

I can achieve this by using multiple FixedLabel fields for every menu entry but it is going to end up a massive bit of code :(

<widget source="menu" render="FixedLabel" text="textgoeshere" position="65,100" size="128,128">
<convert type="MenuEntryCompare">about_screen</convert>
<convert type="ConditionalShowHide" />
</widget>

I also tried having multiple text on the same line and splitting with \n newline. But I have no control over linespacing so that is a problem.

Is there a quicker and easier solution that brings in these sub menus values as a list, possible from the existing data already in menu.xml, or by referencing a new custom xml file.

If this is not easily achievable is it possible to instead use the MenuEntryCompare as above but conditional show/hide a panel of data instead.

I am knowledgeable in skin designing, but have very limited knowledge of python code.

Any help with this task would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

AnotherDish
23-02-16, 18:32
I'm also interested in this as I'm currently editing/producing a TiVO style skin too, as I'd be interested in seeing one more up to date with the current UI of TiVo

rossi2000
23-02-16, 20:28
dont think there is a way as this is how i originally wanted to code YouViX skins.

kiddac
23-02-16, 22:13
Rossi, you were the guy I was half relying on. All the skins you have made with all the added hacks in and all the contacts you have got, and nobody has ever given you a solution to this menu problem. In theory it seems pretty simple. Look in menu.xml. use the entryID. Find its child and show it as a list. But the obvious problem is the source="menu" seems to be using the screen name as a reference rather than a panel name.

As mentioned in my first post I worked out how to do it the long faffy way. But this is not a good way as it also means manually typing out all the names for the menus, which means you would have to have a totally different menu xml include for various different builds i.e vix, openatv etc.

I have posted this on a few forums including the german brainboxes, so will see if anyone can work out easily how to do it.

I will let you know how I get on, if no one knows on here.

rossi2000
23-02-16, 22:19
Rossi, you were the guy I was half relying on. All the skins you have made with all the added hacks in and all the contacts you have got, and nobody has ever given you a solution to this menu problem. In theory it seems pretty simple. Look in menu.xml. use the entryID. Find its child and show it as a list. But the obvious problem is the source="menu" seems to be using the screen name as a reference rather than a panel name.

As mentioned in my first post I worked out how to do it the long faffy way. But this is not a good way as it also means manually typing out all the names for the menus, which means you would have to have a totally different menu xml include for various different builds i.e vix, openatv etc.

I have posted this on a few forums including the german brainboxes, so will see if anyone can work out easily how to do it.

I will let you know how I get on, if no one knows on here.

ye cheers, if it can be done then great i can adapt youvix.

stephentg
13-06-17, 22:08
Where can I find the virgin skin to download.

Andy_Hazza
13-06-17, 22:25
In the plugin feeds. openvix-red-hd is an old Virgin Media theme, but is only a 720p skin. You could also look at the openvix-youvix-red which is a proper 1080p skin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stephentg
14-06-17, 21:28
Thank you Andy.