PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] Merging timeshift and Recording

AnotherDish
20-02-16, 17:38
Hello! My first post here! (I have a VU+ SoloSE running VIX). Question time!

Is it possible to have a timeshift recording merge with a instant recording, in case you really enjoyed a show and want to save it for a later date?
Let me explain this better;
On STB boxes like TiVO, you have the ability to watch a program/event and it'll get saved into the timeshift buffer as you watch, just like VIX can.
But if you hit the record button on the TiVO, it'll save the time shift from when the current program/event started, and record the rest of the program/event, then merge them together into one seamless video file, letting you view the whole program/event as one seamless video file (Or at least, from when you zapped to that channel).
VIX can save the timeshift file, but if you zapped onto the channel before the program/event started, saving the timeshift will save everything since zapping, including other programs. It also wont merge with a instant recording if you hit the record button.

Is there possibly any way to make it work like the TiVO does? VIX can save timeshift recordings, and recordings of shows, I don't think it'd be too hard to implement if it hasn't been already

abu baniaz
20-02-16, 18:20
IIRC, there is an option to select event.

AnotherDish
20-02-16, 18:23
IIRC, there is an option to select event.

Yes but this will save everything from the timeshift buffer (Including previous shows), and I don't think it saves with a file name relevant to the show, nor does it allow you to swap channels as its literally just using the timeshift buffer, not recording the tuner.

2stein
20-02-16, 18:40
that's correct. the timeshift implementation is a bit ugly... and would need a redesign imho.

abu baniaz
20-02-16, 18:50
So you are stating: if timeshift covers more than one event/program, selecting an event/program as movie also saves the unselected events/programs?

It usually does its stuff after the event has finished IIRC.

that's correct. the timeshift implementation is a bit ugly... and would need a redesign imho.
We await the beautiful implementation

AnotherDish
20-02-16, 19:13
So you are stating: if timeshift covers more than one event/program, selecting an event/program as movie also saves the unselected events/programs?

It usually does its stuff after the event has finished IIRC.

We await the beautiful implementation

I'll try explain it better.
Lets say I swap to BBC One and the news is on, I swap in the last 5 minutes of the news ending. Timeshift buffer now has 5 minutes of the news in it.
I then proceed to watch this channel and EastEnders comes on, I get half way through the episode and hit the record button. Hitting save timeshift after event, I continue to watch EastEnders till the events over, the timeshift saves.
But seen as its just saving what's in the timeshift buffer, it will also save the last 5 minutes of the news that I saw.

If I hit the record button and hit timeshift save after event, if I have to swap to another channel for some reason, the timeshift will contain a incomplete version of the show.
Where as the with a TiVO, if I hit the record button half way through the same event scenario, it'd cut the news section part of the recording out, and even if I change channel, it'll continue to record (Must change to the second/third tuner in the TiVO box).

All they'd have to do is cut the first 5 minutes (for this scenario) from the timeshift buffer, then start recording on a separate/same tuner. Then when the events over, merge the now sliced timeshift buffer with the recorded file. using the recorded files name as the file name. This would then give you what was recorded in the timeshift buffer then the recorded show directly after, in one seamless file.

How it works currently

.......TimeShift......Recording
......<-------><-------------->
<-news-><----eastenders---->
Gives timeshift file including portion of news and EastEnders, and Recording file being just Eastenders, continuing from where timeshift ended

How I'd like it to work

........TimeShift......Recording
......<xxx><-----><----------->
<-news-><----eastenders---->
Gives 1 seamles file, <xxx> section of timeshift buffer is deleted, and remaining timeshift buffer is merged to the beginning of the Recording file which captures the end of the episode.

abu baniaz
20-02-16, 19:48
Thank you for the elucidation. What you want is what should be happening after you select the event you want to save. The crucial thing is you have to select the event you want.

In the ugly software, do you get the option to save the event? Do you select the desired event and it still does not work as intended?

AnotherDish
21-02-16, 02:12
Thank you for the elucidation. What you want is what should be happening after you select the event you want to save. The crucial thing is you have to select the event you want.

In the ugly software, do you get the option to save the event? Do you select the desired event and it still does not work as intended?

Okay so, if I do that, I get 4 options when I try and change channel
- Save time shift as movie and stop recording
- Same time shift as movie and continue recording
- Cancel save time shift as movie
- Nothing, just leave the menu

Obviously the selection I want is option 2, but then that still creates 2 separate files (Though at least the time shift is named now!) Any idea how to get them to auto merge into one long recording?

abu baniaz
21-02-16, 04:00
I have not tried changing the channel. Can you come back down to my stage and confirm selecting the event works or not. Need to get things straight before I refer issue to our coder/s

Note: Event = program

Zapped to Channel (NHK World at 01:57)
Timehift started automatically.
Event changes. (See picture of EPG. This is at 0200)

Someway through current event, I decide I want to record the current event.
I press Record. I get the pictured options, it is a particular event I want to record (see picture 02...)

I select event I want to record. [as you can see there is the event that started at 01:57 and the current one.] (see picture 03...)

It tells me that event will be saved at the end of the event (see picture 04...)

In movie folder, there are two lots of recording files (see picture 05...) Process is still in progress

At end of process there is only one set of recording files in the movie folder (see picture 06...)

Just to confirm, one set of recordings in media player (see picture 07...)

Is this not happening for you? If so, please attach debug logs.

AnotherDish
21-02-16, 04:49
Yes, all the processes you just went through work fine on my end. I only get one file, containing the whole of the show, with the file also appropriately named. Is there any way I can make it so I can change channel and it will continue to record that show? (All as one seamless file/recording). I have multiple tuners

Shoaib khaliq
27-10-16, 07:18
Hi I'm having problems with my Xtrend Et7500. When I play recordings they start to buffer and when I'm trying to forward and rewind they still tend to buffer. Why does this happen when it's a recorded file? I hope someone can help me out please it's doing my head in cheers

Joe_90
27-10-16, 13:20
You might get a better response by starting a new thread - this one is not related to your issue ;)