PDA

View Full Version : Set Up External Hard Drive

jmcg85
17-02-16, 00:30
As this box only has one USB port I was wondering what is the best way to set up a 500GB Hard Drive so that I can Partition 4GB of it to be my USB. Basically I want to record onto the hard drive 1st and foremost but would like to have a section of it to act as my usb for saving my picons EPG etc on. Is this possible and are there any better solutions than what I'm trying to achieve

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

moselep
17-02-16, 00:49
Just leave has once drive., no need to Partition, less messing that way

cactikid
17-02-16, 02:02
hopefully using externally powered hdd,initialise on box to mount it before using it.

birdman
17-02-16, 02:49
..so that I can Partition 4GB of it to be my USB.No point. It won;t be a USB stick just because you call it /media/usb. It will still have to spin-up, so picon access can be slow.
You could use a powered USB hub to get extra ports and use a real USB stick?

jmcg85
17-02-16, 09:47
No point. It won;t be a USB stick just because you call it /media/usb. It will still have to spin-up, so picon access can be slow.
You could use a powered USB hub to get extra ports and use a real USB stick?
Didn't think about this...powered usb hub is a good shout. thanks

hopefully using externally powered hdd,initialise on box to mount it before using it.
Thanks...I haven't bought the HDD yet but I will make sure it's externally powered. Going to have to add another power extension lead behind my unit. [emoji15]

Would any externally powered 500GB HDD do the trick, or are there any that should be avoided?

ISeeFridges
21-02-16, 15:25
As this box only has one USB port I was wondering what is the best way to set up a 500GB Hard Drive so that I can Partition 4GB of it to be my USB. Basically I want to record onto the hard drive 1st and foremost but would like to have a section of it to act as my usb for saving my picons EPG etc on. Is this possible and are there any better solutions than what I'm trying to achieve

It has two not one USB ports; one at the back and one under the flap at the front.