PDA

View Full Version : Format USB in Ext 3 (linux)

raedkuwait
30-12-10, 03:23
How to? using Vix img

silverfox0786
30-12-10, 03:24
short press blue

scroll to VIX then go to

device manager

wait for USB to detect then

highlight it then

press blue to format

raedkuwait
30-12-10, 13:33
Ok i did that before, but after i format it, its not detected any more it just disappears from the device list?
The USB is a 256mb, and i noticed when it formats it, it does it really fast, and when i remove the usb and
plug it back it detects it again but the file system is still fat16?!

WOIIFTM
30-12-10, 21:54
Same problem with a 1 Gb Transend USB stick using VIX 1.3 (fully updated) on Duo. Formatting via the device manager is very fast but doesn't seem to do anything. The stick remains formatted in FAT16. The stick disappears from the device list but reappears after a reboot. Swap file and picons seem to work.

andyblac
30-12-10, 21:57
if you have a windows usb stick will HAVE TO repartition the stick, just formatting will not do.

WOIIFTM
31-12-10, 03:44
if you have a windows usb stick will HAVE TO repartition the stick, just formatting will not do.

Yes, that did the trick.

WOIIFTM
01-01-11, 17:40
OK another weird problem: having my 1Gb USB stick formatted/partioned correctly I run into problems adding picons, about 2500 files in total. A total file/folder limit of 1024 seems to be present, I cannot add any files beyond that point. The error I get when trying to add more files is : cannot create file. I tried reformatting servereal times but no luck. Reformatting and adding the files with my computer (Mac) doesn't work. Perhaps I should reformat to FAT32 to solve this one?

Larry-G
01-01-11, 17:53
you'll never know unless you try it.

WOIIFTM
01-01-11, 17:55
The total picon foldersize is 12 Mb, having this on a 1 Gb stick + a 32 Mb swap file should be possible, not?

WOIIFTM
01-01-11, 19:15
Fixed. Reformatting + repartitioning the USB stick on my computer (MacOSX with MacFuse and FuseExt2 installed + some tweaking) did the trick.

There must be something wrong in VIX 1.3 because I could not fix this via my Vu+ Duo.

For those interested in the tweaking:

A fresh install of MacFuse and FuseExt2 only allows for volumes to be mounted as read only.

The option "rw+" needs to be added to string OPTIONS="auto_xattr,defer_permissions" in /System/Library/Filesystems/fuse-ext2.fs/fuse-ext2.util in start of function Mount ()

It should read OPTIONS="auto_xattr,defer_permissions,rw+"

WOIIFTM
01-01-11, 19:48
Fixed. Reformatting + repartitioning the USB stick on my computer (MacOSX with MacFuse and FuseExt2 installed + some tweaking) did the trick.

There must be something wrong in VIX 1.3 because I could not fix this via my Vu+ Duo.

For those interested in the tweaking:

A fresh install of MacFuse and FuseExt2 only allows for volumes to be mounted as read only.

The option "rw+" needs to be added to string OPTIONS="auto_xattr,defer_permissions" in /System/Library/Filesystems/fuse-ext2.fs/fuse-ext2.util in start of function Mount ()

It should read OPTIONS="auto_xattr,defer_permissions,rw+"

Forgot to mention I reformatted in Ext2/Ext3 format.