PDA

View Full Version : Repaired TM Twin-OE PSU

Piranha
12-02-16, 12:25
One of my TM Twins pooped out yesterday - no VFD display, no response to remote, but would boot and tuner worked - but no control from remote or box buttons.

Quick investigation showed that the 100uF 400v electrolytic smoothing capacitor had overheated and blown, with signs of overheating around the ViPer22A SMPS management chip.

Dug around in my gear and found a 100uF 400v on an old PSU board from something or other. Replaced the frazzled capacitor and hey! presto! Everything working again.

If you haven't got the components, a quick check on eBay will find both the chip and the capacitor for a couple of quid, so don't automatically pay for a new PSU from Technomate if this happens to you!

nipperlocko
18-02-16, 16:06
Hi there.

this has just happened to me today and just found your thread, I have contacted technomate before finding this thread and they said PSU like you said and replace it for me for £43 with return posting, but what I have done first is ordered the parts that you mentioned ie the capacitor and viper chip from fleabay and will have a go myself,

first question did you happen to take a picture to point out where the damage is or is it self explanatory and easy to spot any help is greatly appreciated

best regards nipperlocko

Piranha
24-02-16, 10:31
@Nipperlocko - you have probably already fixed your faulty PSU by now! Don't have a photo I'm afraid, but the fried capacitor will be easy to spot, as will the heat witness mark around the ViPer22A chip. I too bought a new PSU from Technomate just in case, which I installed. The repaired (and tested) PSU I have kept as a spare in case the board on my other TM Twin blows! Providing you observe polarity on the capacitor and orientation on the chip, you shouldn't have any problems - although you may struggle if you don't have a de-soldering 'sucker'! Best of luck!

nipperlocko
25-02-16, 17:11
lol I must of got the polarity wrong on the viper chip coz it blew again when I tried the fix so went ahead with a new PSU from technomate and all is well now thanks

foxyboy
14-06-16, 11:49
lol I must of got the polarity wrong on the viper chip coz it blew again when I tried the fix so went ahead with a new PSU from technomate and all is well now thanks

Guys, is the capacitor mentioned the really big one ?
I can see the chip heat damaged but capacitor looks ok.
I am attaching a picture of the PSU

This is the second PSU that has failed :-(
The first lasted 1 year and I lost all power, the second nearly 2 years and I lost 5v so no IR remote, Display, Network ? what a load of crap

Im gonna DIY this one if I can

TK4|2|1
14-06-16, 19:44
That big 1 is the mains smoothing capacitor. These very rarely go, if you change it if change the 2 smaller ones too.

foxyboy
02-08-16, 17:38
Thanks but which small ones ?? Theres a bunch :-(

foxyboy
24-11-16, 11:28
If anyone needs to try this i can provide a ViPer22A SMPS management chip & 100uF 400v electrolytic smoothing capacitor. Had to buy a bunch a while back. Will have to post from ROI so €5 delivered in europe should cover it

antwan
08-04-17, 17:31
Hi Peeps I too have a frazzled chip on the PSU, but on the chip it says yl4ml52 then sd484 ip with a line in middle which I can't read.
What I am asking is the replacement a ViPer22A SMPS .
Thanks

antwan
09-04-17, 16:27
bump any ifo please

Hi Peeps I too have a frazzled chip on the PSU, but on the chip it says yl4ml52 then sd484 ip with a line in middle which I can't read.
What I am asking is the replacement a ViPer22A SMPS .
Thanks

izzy_c
06-05-17, 22:19
Thanks for the help.

I had the same problem with my box no front display, no remote, and no buttons working.

I have replaced the

Vipper22a Chip

C20: 47uf 50v
C3: 220uf 50v
C17: 220uf 16v

All capacitors where sourced from maplin and Vipper22a chip ordered on eBay.

Has saved me £35 + £6 Postage technomate was quoting me.

thejoker
15-05-17, 21:53
my viper chip is showing heat damage but i can't spot the 400v 100uf capacitor that should be replaced to fix it. I already have the capacitor so want to get it changed to see if i need the viper chip or not.. can anyone identify the right one to change.?

abu baniaz
15-05-17, 22:17
i can't spot the 400v 100uf capacitor that should be replaced to fix it.
Post a close up picture.

TK4|2|1
16-05-17, 06:27
my viper chip is showing heat damage but i can't spot the 400v 100uf capacitor that should be replaced to fix it. I already have the capacitor so want to get it changed to see if i need the viper chip or not.. can anyone identify the right one to change.?

Biggest 1 on the board. 400v 100uf is a mains smoothing capacitor, rarely fail. I'd be looking at changing the 2 smaller on the primary side of the board.

thejoker
16-05-17, 08:32
What two smaller? Theres loads on the left hand side of the picture above, or do you mean the two blue ones that are together near the middle..?

TK4|2|1
16-05-17, 17:53
What two smaller? Theres loads on the left hand side of the picture above, or do you mean the two blue ones that are together near the middle..?

2 on the right of that big black thing (transformer), 1 is blue the other is brown, In the image posted earlier in post. They are known as start up capacitors and if faulty the psu won't start up and you may hear a ticking sound.

thejoker
16-05-17, 23:34
But my psu doesn't have those symptoms, it runs fine, just there is no vfd display or remote control function.

TK4|2|1
17-05-17, 06:29
But my psu doesn't have those symptoms, it runs fine, just there is no vfd display or remote control function.

Then my guess would be 1 of the many capacitors on the secondary side of the transformer (left of the big black thing). There may even be a small capacitor on the vfd front panel gone.
May be easier to replace the complete psu.

wullboy
17-05-17, 07:58
Is that not heat damage on the ic [ 8 leg ] chip, the right hand side of the small transformer ??

thejoker
17-05-17, 22:12
This is my PSU here. Heat damage to the viper chip which I have just ordered from eBay. Maybe that will sort it on it's own but still not sure if what caps to change.

TK4|2|1
18-05-17, 06:26
This is my PSU here. Heat damage to the viper chip which I have just ordered from eBay. Maybe that will sort it on it's own but still not sure if what caps to change.

I would definitely change the 1 next to it, and the 1 next to the other 8 pin chip above it, on your photo.