PDA

View Full Version : Not your general new box question

scottmcmullan8
10-02-16, 10:22
Hi all,

I have been browsing these forums for a long time. I have bought various boxes of yourselves over the last couple of years for myself and for friends. My set up currently is an old DM800 which was my first box (this is the one in question I am looking to replace). I have a crap skybox f5 in the bedroom which is just a second box which hardly gets used and does the job whenever I want to watch football upstairs.

I have purchased and set up a Vu+ Duo for a friend and a technomate nano 3t combo for my mum as she has cable and sky connections - so basically I have a bit of experience with different boxes.

However now that I am looking to replace my old dreambox, as it's slow and doesn't support much of the new software, I find myself stuck as to which box to go for. Whether to try something new again or stick with what I have used. In my opinion the technomate nano 3t and the vu duo 2 are almost on power. The cable tuner is impressive but the slickness of the duo is so nice to use. I have no need for a cable tuner in my house at present but who knows what might happen down the line ;).

I have also looked at the xtrend et8000 which I have no experience of and was looking for some advice about this? Is it on power with the 3t and the duo? And what about the solo se or the zero? Are they a bit over priced for what you get in the box? Last question (I promise) - I have seen the Edison OS mini twin tuner pop up a couple of times but I have never heard of it before. It seems a bit cheap for having the features it does. Anyone experience of these boxes yet?

Thanks
Scott

twol
10-02-16, 10:38
I rate the ET8000 highly and much better value (certainly at WoS) than the ET10000. (I have had both)
I sold mine because I fancied something not so boring ... the ET8000 is a rock solid, does what it says, well spec,ed box that has everything except hardware transcoding, and with the plugable tuners supports most requirements except of course 4K :)

scottmcmullan8
10-02-16, 11:41
I was looking at it at 159 seems like a good price for the spec. Haven't heard much about them in general but I know they are well supported on here. In terms of smoothness of the box etc. would you say it matches the experience of a VU?

twol
10-02-16, 13:49
On the continent (I am in Germany), Xtrend are much more visible and probably on a par with VU.
In terms of longevity, both VU+ and Xtrend have been around for some years and their support depending on which forum you go to - can be great or "the worst"! --- I guess the more popular you become there are more chances of ***** someone off :) so I would equate the experiences to be the same :) and Xtrend (apart from one very active ViX supporter) are frequently quoted as also having an excellent remote :)

If I was looking at a 4 tuner box, then I would also look at Mut@nt.

scottmcmullan8
10-02-16, 14:42
Appreciate your input my friend.

At present I have a single tuner and I don't mind - a dual tuner would be perfect for recording another channel but I don't think I would use it that much. A quad tuner would be extreme overkill :)

bluepassat
10-02-16, 19:11
I have the xtrend ET8000 twin satellite tuner...its very fast easy to setup, can take 2.5 or 3.5 inch hard drive, even comes with screws and the cables including HDMI. got mine from the sponsor next day delivery

there are other boxes available but im very pleased with mine , I have found this forum answers all my questions

also look at the openvix site if you plan to install that image

regards

blue

Bangord30
11-02-16, 09:39
Ditto. Go for it mate

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk