PDA

View Full Version : Information before upgrading

dazpearce
06-02-16, 12:47
hi all,

i currently have a vu duo which allows me to record 1 channel whilst watching another. i noticed with the vu duo2 you can purchase a second dual tuner so i could potentially record more whilst watching a channel. at the moment i only have 2 cables coming into my house to attach to my duo.

if i upgrade to the duo2, would i have to upgrade my lnb and add 2 more cables or could i put splitters on the two cables i have? or do i connect one cable in each tuner?

also the tuners seem similar but im a bit confused about the difference, as i understand it one type is for encrypted channels the other is for free channels, is that right?
i watch mainly free channels so im assuming it would be worth my while to purchase a duo2 with 1 of each, i think this is the one i need but im not 100%

http://www.vuplus.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=36

would this be appropriate?

thanks

gibbletts
06-02-16, 12:56
You'd need a quad lnb which you might already have on there and a further two cables to go into the extra tuners, not sure what you mean about tuners different they all do the same thing encrypted channels still come through the same tuner

dazpearce
06-02-16, 13:21
You'd need a quad lnb which you might already have on there and a further two cables to go into the extra tuners, not sure what you mean about tuners different they all do the same thing encrypted channels still come through the same tuner

thanks

about the tuners, there seems to be slightly different types that im not sure about

1. dvb s/s2 tuner which i assume is the standard record one watch one type, but the rest?

2. hybrid dvb c/t/t2,

3. dvb s/s2 dual/twin tuner

4. dvb s2 fbc tuner
thanks

Willmoore
06-02-16, 13:44
The tuners depend on what source you are using.
s = satellite
c = cable
t = terrestrial
combo = combination

dazpearce
06-02-16, 13:56
The tuners depend on what source you are using.
s = satellite
c = cable
t = terrestrial
combo = combination

i see, well i dont have cable, just a normal broadband line and my aerial on my roof is disconnected so i dont have terrestrial so its the 's' type only for me, does an s2 dual/twin tuner mean it acts as 2 x dvb s2 tuners so i can connect my two cables in and watch 1 channel while recording 3?

cheers

Willmoore
06-02-16, 14:01
you can watch one channel and record another (as long as you have a HHD )

timofee
06-02-16, 16:39
All the information has been said above - but to clarify:

If your house only has access to satellite signals your options are

1/ Duo2 with standard dual s2 tuner - works the same as your Duo1

2/ Duo2 with an extra dual s2 tuner - that would give you four tuners - watch one and record on the other three at the same time.
------- but - very important - for this to work you would have to get a quad LNB and run four LNB cables from your dish to the Duo2

Willmoore
06-02-16, 16:56
The LNB you already have is probably a quad - if it is, there will be a couple of spare connectors to run cables from.