PDA

View Full Version : SSD drives

Nunhead_Man
05-02-16, 10:37
Does the Mut@nt have drivers / ability to use SSD drives?

twol
05-02-16, 11:21
Does the Mut@nt have drivers / ability to use SSD drives?

Why would you need a SSD, or do just have spare SSD's floating around:)

ronand
05-02-16, 12:02
I doubt there is any benefit in using one. It wont affect the boot-up time and any modern sata drive is fast enough for simultaneous recordings

Nunhead_Man
05-02-16, 12:12
Just have a couple of spare SSD's floating around as you say - but if no improvement will not fiddle:cool:

And is 2TB the largest 2.5 SATA drive it will take?

Trial
05-02-16, 20:46
Hi,
I think 2TB is max. of an internal 2.5创 hard drives. I just bought an 4TB external drive with 2.5创 but I did not find an internal one with more than 2TB.

ciao

birdman
06-02-16, 02:13
Hi,
I think 2TB is max. of an internal 2.5创 hard drives.I's be surprised if Linux cared about the size - and you boot from the internal flash, so that BIOS won't worry either.
It might affect the size of a partition, as an MS-DOS partition table can only handle 2TB ones. So you could just make multiple file-systems. Or use a GPT partiton table (assuming that is supported - parted is happy to create eone).

Clabs
06-02-16, 02:43
And is 2TB the largest 2.5 SATA drive it will take?

Yes - a 2.5" drive is the largest physical size that receiver can take - and 2TB is the largest 2.5" drive currently available.

Hi,
I think 2TB is max. of an internal 2.5创 hard drives. I just bought an 4TB external drive with 2.5创 but I did not find an internal one with more than 2TB.

ciao

Those external 4TB external drives contain 2 x 2.5" 2TB drives configured in Raid-0

Trial
06-02-16, 09:12
Hi,

I's be surprised if Linux cared about the size
Linux/E2 can handle 8TB 3.5 drives so Linux does not care. I meant you will not be able to purchase an internal 2.5 hdd >2TB at the moment.

ciao

birdman
06-02-16, 11:41
I meant you will not be able to purchase an internal 2.5 hdd >2TB at the moment.Yes, sorry. I'd missed the bit about it being the maximum size of a specific physical size.

birdman
04-03-16, 02:17
Hi,
I think 2TB is max. of an internal 2.5创 hard drives. Not any more. This SSD is a little bigger...cost unspecified

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3040208/data-storage/samsung-ships-the-worlds-highest-capacity-ssd-with-15tb-of-storage.html?nsdr=true

Trial
04-03-16, 09:04
Hi,
you are right I forgot them. I think the versions are a bit thick so the STB should have a possibility to use 3.5创 hdd.

Only $20.000 for a bit over 10Tb for an STB is not to much in my opinion:-)

ciao

mann
04-03-16, 10:42
I have used SSD in every box i have had for many years..I dont understand why people po po their use..
There are many benefits to using SSD like no heat-no noise-no moving parts-and navigation speed etc is so much quicker unlike what other posters have said and the prices are way better now making it well worth the cost over standard hard drive...

birdman
04-03-16, 11:31
There are many benefits to using SSD like no heat-no noise-no moving parts-and navigation speed etc is so much quickerThe no-heat isn't quite correct.
I now have one in an external 2.5" USB3 enclosure, and it does get noticeably warm when in use.
Very fast, though.

Trial
04-03-16, 12:21
Hi,

I dont understand why people po po their use..

the price is still quite high 2TB €600 compare to €80 (2.5创). I do not hear my 2.5创 and it is also cool.

I see not the big difference I have on my PC. I cannot understand why people are still booting their PC with an hdd because the benefits are extreme there.

ciao

twol
04-03-16, 13:27
I see not the big difference I have on my PC. I cannot understand why people are still booting their PC with an hdd because the benefits are extreme there.

Yep, in total agreement makes a big improvement on a PC ... on my dualboot desktop PC have 2 SSD's - one for Win 10 and one for Ubuntu (lightning fast boot) - saved my bacon when one of the last win 10 Insider updates created a new win 10 partition - screwed my laptop (single disk) but was OK with the Desktop :)

..... but on my receivers consider it a waste of money when I have spare disks lying around:)