PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue QUAD] USB Hub on Gigable Quad?

richardinspain
02-02-16, 20:48
Hi
I have a Gigablue Quad with a external USB (usb powered)1tb hdd which works perfectly for recording etc, i now have a Android box which i want to share the HDD with.. I purchased a USB Hub thinking i could plug the Hub into the Gigablue and plug the HDD into the hub along with the Android box.. With this set up the Android box see's the HDD and plays movies etc from it fine but the Gigablue doesn't see it.. I have read that a powered hub is better but surely if the Android sees it ok then the Gigablue should too?
Any thoughts?
Cheers Richard

Tkr001
02-02-16, 21:03
Hi
I have a Gigablue Quad with a external USB (usb powered)1tb hdd which works perfectly for recording etc, i now have a Android box which i want to share the HDD with.. I purchased a USB Hub thinking i could plug the Hub into the Gigablue and plug the HDD into the hub along with the Android box.. With this set up the Android box see's the HDD and plays movies etc from it fine but the Gigablue doesn't see it.. I have read that a powered hub is better but surely if the Android sees it ok then the Gigablue should too?
Any thoughts?
Cheers Richard
That's not how a USB hub works. A USB hub is a device that expands a single Universal Serial Bus (USB) port into several so that there are more ports available to connect devices to a host system. This means the devices plugged into the hub can only be seen by a single host, in your case it would appear to be the android box.

richardinspain
02-02-16, 21:27
Ahh ok thanks for the info Tkr001

Even with the hub plugged into the gigablue on its own with the HDD and a dongle plugged into the hub it only recognises the dongle and not the HDD even though the light on the HDD is on

Tkr001
03-02-16, 04:00
It depends on where you plug it in. There should be a port dedicated to the host and the others for plugging in USB devices.