PDA

View Full Version : Fan replacement

Palinkat
29-12-10, 13:51
Hi All,

The Fan in my VU+ DUO has become very noisy, rattling a lot. Took it out this morning, cleaned it as there was quite a bit of dust on it. Put it back in, started the box, was quiet for about 20 mins then the rattling started again.
Been doing some search and found this could be a great replacement:
Scythe Mini Kaze 50mm Quiet Fan, has the 2 pin connector but it's starting at 9V. I read the VU+ is a 7V so 5-9V operating range.
has anyone find a 50mm fan that matches this spec. I could connect the fan to the HDD power cable with a Y connector but then it would go to standby with the HDD.

Thanks

Hakon
30-12-10, 08:49
The fan in Vu+Duo is not a 7V fan its a 12V fan. The output on the motherboard is 7V to lower the speed on the fan.
Heres the original maker of the fan, _http://www.nidec.com/fanpdfs/ta200dc.pdf
Can't remeber the modelnr. but you can find it on the fan when you take it away, and it's one of the fan in the PDF.
You can use another make if you find one and with 2 pin connection, or cut the cable on your original fan and use the cable.

Palinkat
30-12-10, 10:21
Thanks Mate,

Ordered the Aimaxx eNVicooler 5, low db and recommended by other users, will cut the cable and use the stock connector.

Ta

Donnie
30-12-10, 12:04
@Palinkat
Maybe you can keep us updated on how you get on and maybe supply a few pics ?

I need to replace the fan in mine as it drivers me up the wall.:smash:

sherry
30-12-10, 13:16
@Palinkat
Maybe you can keep us updated on how you get on and maybe supply a few pics ?

I need to replace the fan in mine as it drivers me up the wall.:smash:

I agree it would be great to see how you get on m8 :O)

bob1
30-12-10, 17:09
I had a couple of Scythe Mini Kaze 40mm fans in my old 7025 ,they ran fin at 5v and were very quiet ,not so much at 12v they were anything but quiet but maybe the 50mm are at 7v.

Palinkat
31-12-10, 11:09
I will post pictures when I get the fan. Won't be before the new year at this stage.

Hakon
01-01-11, 10:58
Theres another trick you can do with the 12v fan,you can use the 5V from the HDD powercable to lower the speed even more. The 5V is always powered on so the fan will always then be on, even if the box in standby.There are adapters to find at your local PC store.The cables at pictures has the correct 3pin connector for the 3pin fan ,12V(white connectors) or 5V(black connectors) can be selected.In this solution you dont use the fanpower on the motherboard, if you have a HDD in the box you also need a split cable .

danop
03-01-11, 07:45
Hi all
I had the same with noisy fans when I got my 2 VU+ DUOs.
One of them is inbuilt in a cabinet, so the noise is not a problem there.
The other one is placed in my bedroom on a shelf, and the noise were killing me, even in stand by.
One og the "old" VU+ Duo experts told me just to remove the wires from the fan, and go with the unit witout fan.
Even though I was skeptical, I did it, and for 3 month there have been no problem.
The VU+ DUO is not warm, and I have no sound from the unit.
Strange maibe, but it works.

compufunk
12-01-11, 18:57
I bought my VU+ Duo from one of the first batches on the market (Feb 2010). The fan started making a rattling noise soon after it arrived.

I noticed that when I raised the back of the reciever, the noise dissapeared. So I placed a few peices of stickyback rubber under the rear end. Its now tilted very slightly forward (not noticable) and the noise is gone. Its been like that for around 6 months or more with no further deteriation.

Hakon
12-01-11, 19:50
And here is a test, original vs replacement
Original fan on the first pictures.

So if theres no fault on the original it's half in noise compared to the Aimax 5
-3dB is half in noise for the ears
+3dB is double for the ears

Donnie
12-01-11, 22:12
Thanks Hakon, great and informative post which has helped me make my mind up.

selondoner
02-04-14, 10:27
Hi All,

Sorry to bump what is an old thread but my Vu Duo is driving me nuts with its fan noise. Ideally Id like to buy a replacement but have already tried and the fan I purchased wasn't right as the screw holes didn't match up.

Im not a complete technophobe but struggling to understand how to ensure I buy the right fan.

My other option is just to pull the plug on the fan but would be nervous about overheating.

The Aimaxx mentioned in this thread is a possibility but wondered if anyone else had any other recommendations that worked for them?

Cheers guys :thumbsup:

Rob van der Does
02-04-14, 11:31
The DUO's fan is indeed noisy, as it always runs at full speed.
Adding a resistor to make the speed 1/2 - 2/3 is an option.

selondoner
02-04-14, 12:36
Thanks Rob. That sounds like it involves soldering! With no experience Id probably avoid trying to do that.

Swapping out the fan seemed easier

radekuk
07-05-15, 15:27
Some 40 mm quiet fans here:
http://www.quietpc.com/40mmfans