PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Zero] Upgrade issues due to new GST version

Stone123
29-01-16, 19:12
Since today my receiver kept reminding me to that there were updates available. After doing multiple update runs I began wondering what was going on since I didn't get a list of changes anymore and it was constantly reporting 13 packages that needed to be updated.

So I decided to take a look on the command-line:
# opkg list-upgradable
Not selecting libgstapp-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgstaudio-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgstrtp-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgstpbutils-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgstvideo-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgstriff-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgstcodecparsers-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgstadaptivedemux-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting gstreamer1.0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgsttag-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgstsdp-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgsturidownloader-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.
Not selecting libgstrtsp-1.0-0 1.6.1 as installing it would break existing dependencies.

# opkg list libgstvideo*
libgstvideo-1.0-0 - 1.7.1-r0 - gstreamer gstvideo-1.0 library gstreamer gstvideo-1.0 library
libgstvideo-1.0-0 - 1.6.1-r0

I see, there was an upgrade to Gstreamer v1.71. And that's also what I currently have installed:
# opkg list-installed libgstvideo*
libgstvideo-1.0-0 - 1.7.1-r0

Apparently I'm not the only problem with this issue:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?50116-Flashing-update-icon

Looking for a solution in this forum I stumbled over this post:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?50088-***Please-read***-Advance-warning-GST-upgrade-coming-soon

In that thread it's mentioned that a clean flash plus settings restore is recommended. I'm OK doing that (even though the wife will kill me for fiddling with the receiver yet "again") but I really do wonder if that would actually solve the "upgrade"-problem of continuously offering me OLDER gstreamer libs?! Why do I get offered the 1.6.1 versions of Gstreamer libs in the first place since the packages with 1.7.1 are newer??

Is there a solution to this issue? Many thanks!

Stone123
29-01-16, 20:07
Ok, problem solved by doing a full flash and then restoring settings. I have to agree with others that an update that requires a reflash should simply not be updateable, though. Maybe a reminder or automatic switchover to image downloader instead? I guess this is a feature request.

Sicilian
29-01-16, 20:08
Warning was posted here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?50088-***Please-read***-Advance-warning-GST-upgrade-coming-soon

Stone123
29-01-16, 20:36
Yes, I found the warning *after* having the issue as you can see above where I link to that thread.

However, do you expect people to constantly check this forum?

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate all the work being done on the image and the people in this forum but there needs to be some mechanism in OpenViX that prevents people from updating to a build that requires a reflash. Maybe put up a notice saying to download an image and flash that instead.

baz2011uk
29-01-16, 22:24
in all fairness how hard is it to check if an update comes up to check on-line first to ensure its ok to update on-line rather than flash
or subscribe to this thread and then when a new releases is out that needs a flash you will get an email notification if you set it up to email you

2stein
29-01-16, 22:32
yes, for every deficiency there's a workaround.

Stone123
29-01-16, 22:41
If I need to visit this forum to see if it's safe to update then why offer an online update in the first place? Might as well offer the package here only. Alternatively offer relevant info in the release notes for the update (which I read entirely, btw!) - what else is the README for?!

If I subscribe to THIS thread then that won't help me in the future at all - or will you drop in here and let me know? If you mean subscribing to this subforum then - no, I have other things to do with my life. That would be a wee bit too noisy in my crowded inbox.

I gave a few practical ideas to avoid this sort of issue in the future (deny online update if reflash is necessary and/or refer to the online image installer instead of updater or - as easiest solution - simply add the respective info to the README of the online update). Maybe one of them could be implemented. If not, then not. I'm not making any demands. I'm merely pointing out deficiencies. But I'm also not telling people that everything's fine when it's not.

Dark Cloud
29-01-16, 22:58
"why offer an online update in the first place?",............................Amen to that Brother.

Ashley69
29-01-16, 23:15
Come on members. Your being a bit ungrateful here. These guys do a fantastic job and yes there is improvements that can be made but rome wasn't built in a day.

Clabs
29-01-16, 23:44
In a perfect world, I am sure the team would love to put in place the kind of ideas that have been suggested, but remember that these guys do this for nothing and also have their own lives and work to deal with. I am quite sure that they would rather spend their valuable time building images for the never ending new receivers that keep popping up, and fixing/investigating any oddities we find.

If you don't visit the forums regularly and so do not see the warnings, the best thing to do when you see the flashing upgrade icon is to couch flash via the Image Manager and perform a settings restore - job done and covers most eventualities.

Thanks for a great image chaps - appreciate it.

Stone123
30-01-16, 13:21
As I mentioned I AM grateful for all the work that members are putting into the image and this forum. OpenViX is simply excellent.

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with suggesting how to avoid similar situations in the future without being criticized for giving constructive feedback.

One such step has been implemented since yesterday: the forced read of the GST update thread. Good idea!

Ashley69
30-01-16, 14:02
Thanks for your suggestion and it is appreciated when members do this.
I just think some paragraphs in your posts were perceived as a moan/rant as well.
You can provide constructive suggestions without moaning as you stated "If you mean subscribing to this subforum then - no, I have other things to do with my life. That would be a wee bit too noisy in my crowded inbox"
Anyway. Once again thanks for the suggestion.

birdman
30-01-16, 14:16
Warning was posted here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?50088-***Please-read***-Advance-warning-GST-upgrade-coming-soon
Perhaps a similar warning at the start of the Changelog (so that the warning can be seen on the actual box) is in order?

gibbletts
30-01-16, 14:29
I don't have a problem with the current way of doing things personally I think that every time that little flashing light comes on its makes sense to check the forum to see what's happening, nobody is so busy they can't spare 30 seconds to check the site.

IAmATeaf
30-01-16, 22:01
What about if the online info stated that a reflash should be done. Whenever an update is flagged I always check to see exactly what has changed.