PDA

View Full Version : Vu plus duo keeps rebooting

aldo2332
24-01-16, 17:28
Ive had my receiver for a few years now and never had a problem. I turned it on one morning and it boots up then tells me theres a problem and shuts down only to reboot which it then repeats this process. Is there any way of solving or resetting/reflashing the box?

Willmoore
24-01-16, 19:34
What receiver is it ?
What version of Vix ?
Those that can help will no doubt need this info.

abu baniaz
24-01-16, 19:48
Quite possible run out of flash memeory owing to some corruption.

Easiest solution is to flash another image.

Another solution is to fix the error. You can issue the "init 4" command. Using filezilla or similar FTP program, navigat eto /home/root/logs and inspect the crashlog. I suspect it is out of space error. Can barely make out something about timeshift in the log.

aldo2332
24-01-16, 20:37
apologies

aldo2332
24-01-16, 20:41
thanks ill check it out. You maybe right as its been running for a few years and never cleared it so could have clogged the memory. Ill post the outcome (if i can access FTP due to the repeated reboot issue)

aldo2332
31-01-16, 20:41
Just to give an update. I flashed the latest vix on the box successfully, went through the basic start up settings then fresh scanned and ABM. Box still crashing and rebooting. Any other ideas guys or is the receiver approaching the bin?

aldo2332
31-01-16, 20:49

satmanbasil
31-01-16, 21:15
ok can you try and flash with the latest image but only install basic with skin and settings dont do any plugins for now and dont restore from previous imagine settings either and run that for a day or so and monitor it progress if you get no problems then add one by one leaving for a day or so any plugins you been using i cannot read your screen shot warning but it seems something is failing. If you have any hdd i would also suggest you isolate this for now if you get it rebooting after installed pluging then remove it and see if all works ok again.

Trial
01-02-16, 09:11
Hi,
please attache log files and not screen dumps and if screen dumps readable ones. From what I see your problem is timeshift. Linux tries to access a file in /media/hdd/timeshift which seems not accessible. I think you activated PTS so remove/disable PTS.

ciao

aldo2332
04-02-16, 18:04
I installed the latest fresh clean image I had disconnected my EHDD before hand. The only thing i did once flashed was a new channel scan and ABM after trying to flick to a channel it still rebooted repeatedly the same as before.

What's PTS? I've not changed any settings on the box for about a year and as a complete new fresh image has been now flashed on there then surely that would reset (default) any settings I previously had messed around with. Still stuck :confused:

Trial
04-02-16, 19:52
Hi,
PTS = permanent time shift

Did you reconnect the HDD?

ciao

aldo2332
08-02-16, 13:58
no left it disconnected at all times.

aldo2332
09-02-16, 19:49
OK i flashed fresh image on the receiver and doesnt reboot. I scanned channels and once finished it started the reboot thing again.
it reports (if you cant read the photo above)

OSError:[errno 5] input/output error: ,/media/hdd/timershift/pts_livebuffer_8.eit,

Im guessing it is PTS as you said but how do i turn it off or fix this? I looked in timeshift settings and couldn't find anything to change relating to this

twol
09-02-16, 19:59
Did you restore any settings at all?
It apparently wants to start on CH4 for some reason?

aldo2332
09-02-16, 20:12
didn't touch any of the settings anywhere I just went through the basic set up questions once the new image was loaded. I didnt do a scan until completed to see if it rebooted which it didn't then only once scanned on channels it then started crashing again.
(my internal HDD is still working but External HDD has been disconnected the whole time.)

birdman
09-02-16, 23:31
It apparently wants to start on CH4 for some reason?Probably because it is the first channel on the list after a fresh scan.

DaMacFunkin
10-02-16, 08:52
When you do a fresh flash don't do a channel scan and make sure your hard drive is mounted correctly before you set anything else up, blue button/vix/ mounts setup
Make sure it is set as media/hdd.

mickd
10-02-16, 16:42
It could be related to a capacitor on the main board. Have you replaced the capacitor C807? You could also try gently heating it with a hair dryer to see if the fault stops. If it does switch it off and leave it off until you get the replacement capacitor.
See
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?26743-Dead-Vu-Duo-repair-guide&highlight=dead.

I know its for dead duo but I think I had the same problem with mine. Rebooting on channel change with python error on screen

aldo2332
10-02-16, 18:53
New image flashed openvix 3.2.035.
basic set up
I picked use the wizard set up basic features, didnt do channel scan,
gone to mount manager via vix blue button and its mount: /media/hdd
RAM has 19668 free
no plugins added yet.

Timeshift settings:
Timeshift location - /media/hdd/timeshift/
auto start TS after - disabled
show warning when TS stopped - yes
TS-save action on zap - ask user
stop TS while rec? - no
use TS seekbar while timeshifting? - yes

The receiver was OK for 5 minutes and has now rebooted, see log below.

twol
10-02-16, 19:57
I would be tempted to reinitialise the internal hdd to see if that makes a difference ... Its getting an i/o error so wonder if its corrupted... just a thought.

aldo2332
10-02-16, 20:06
OK how do i do that?

birdman
10-02-16, 20:07
I would be tempted to reinitialise the internal hdd to see if that makes a difference ... Its getting an i/o error so wonder if its corrupted... just a thought.You could try checking the disk from the menus first

Main -> Setup -> System -> Storage system -> Filesystem check

aldo2332
10-02-16, 20:36
checked. How does this help?
model:ats st500l
cap: 500mb
bus: internal

error: /dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY;RUN
fsck MANUALLY.
(i.e without -a or -p options)
16, physical block 21531024, len 189)

If I initialise will this wipe it clean? Bit upset about losing some recorded programs

twol
10-02-16, 20:57
Running fsck - Depends on what is corrupted...... But if the recordings are corrupted anyway?
Could be the disk heads are screwed - hence the corruption, in which case its a new disk anyway.... Sorry but when you start seeing disk errors ... Its a sign .... Disk in general work,or don,t, great technology in todays disks but when it goes wrong:)

aldo2332
10-02-16, 21:27
Shame ive got a lot on there i still havent watched. so is it worth a try initialising?

twol
10-02-16, 22:24
If you can get the system up you could try ftp into the receiver and try to copy the files to a pc.... Or if it was me I would probably detach the drive and attach it to one of my ubuntu systems and do some backups and recovery if possible.
It really depends on the importance of the recordings ... Certainly ftp is worth trying .... Before doing a fsck and perhaps reinitialise

Trial
11-02-16, 08:51
Hi,
or you try what was mentioned. Connect through Telnet and try to fix it manually with fsck. If it is corrupted here is also a risc of loosing everything.

ciao

aldo2332
11-02-16, 13:56
First like to say thank you to everyone in the thread for the help.

Too late guys. I cleared it :smash:
Never mind I cant really remember what was on there I wanted to keep anyway. My fault for not backing it up regular. Its a lesson learnt i suppose.

OK. since reformatting the HDD I managed to do a channel scan and reload my old back up bouquet on. Watched TV last night for a few hours and problem solved!!!
The only thing i cant work out now is why i cant pause live TV. I can record on the the HDD and playback fine but issue with timeshift as cant rewind/pause? Any help? Is there a setting ive missed?

twol
11-02-16, 14:48
First like to say thank you to everyone in the thread for the help.

Too late guys. I cleared it :smash:
Never mind I cant really remember what was on there I wanted to keep anyway. My fault for not backing it up regular. Its a lesson learnt i suppose.

OK. since reformatting the HDD I managed to do a channel scan and reload my old back up bouquet on. Watched TV last night for a few hours and problem solved!!!
The only thing i cant work out now is why i cant pause live TV. I can record on the the HDD and playback fine but issue with timeshift as cant rewind/pause? Any help? Is there a setting ive missed?
Thanks for the feedback, sorry for your loss:) but I also only backup really important data .... You could always record to a Nas box and avoid this issue if setup correctly.
Timeshift - can,t help as I never use it!

Trial
11-02-16, 16:10
Hi,
I do not know if deleted recordings from TV are a real loss:-)))))))))

I think there is a setting for timeshift path and when it points to flash it refuses to start so it does not fill the flash.

ciao