PDA

View Full Version : VU Duo or Duo 2?

Dannylfc
22-01-16, 10:06
Hi everyone

It's time to upgrade to a newer box. I'm looking at either a duo or duo2. Price wise was have a good deal on duo and 500gb HDD. Is it worth paying the extra £150 for the duo 2? I'm not bothered about 4k viewing or being able to watch on another device. Just for TV really

Willmoore
22-01-16, 10:47
I think the Duo is a bit old and slow ( a bit like me) personally I would go for the VU Solo2 if it's a VU you want. Best value/spec is Xtrend ET8000.

Dannylfc
22-01-16, 10:57
Looking to spend around 200-250 with hard drive, doesn't have to be a VU. Always thought the Duo was better than solo2. I have a Solo2 clone that was sold to me as s genuine solo2 so I know how those work

Willmoore
22-01-16, 11:13
The Duo2 might be considered better than the Solo2 feature wise (LCD screen) but not the Duo. As I said the Xtrend ET800 is good spec at a good price - although I don't like the looks of it (just my opinion)

Dannylfc
22-01-16, 11:18
The Duo2 might be considered better than the Solo2 feature wise (LCD screen) but not the Duo. As I said the Xtrend ET800 is good spec at a good price - although I don't like the looks of it (just my opinion)

Thanks mate
I like that the xtrend 8000 Is a triple tuner. http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Xtrend-ET8000-3x-DVB-S2

Triple tuner mean I can watch one program and record 2 others basically? Take it I have to install the internal hard drive myself on this

Willmoore
22-01-16, 11:24
Yes as long as you have 3 inputs - Just spec the HD with the box and WOS will fit and mount it.

abu baniaz
22-01-16, 11:37
You will need three satellite cables if you have three sat tuners

Dannylfc
22-01-16, 12:34
You will need three satellite cables if you have three sat tuners

My dish has two feeds which has be used in a twin tuner
What's the easiest way to add a feed?

Xtrend8000 looks very decent, not too sure about the silver tho, black looks a lot better

abu baniaz
22-01-16, 17:45
Are you sure your LNB has two ports? Four is more common.

One solution is to upgrade the LNB to one with more ports. Then run a cable to the receiver.

Not sure if the unicable LNB route is a viable one for you. It would mean no extra cabling. However, depends on what other receivers are connected to the LNB.

Dannylfc
22-01-16, 18:23
Are you sure your LNB has two ports? Four is more common.

One solution is to upgrade the LNB to one with more ports. Then run a cable to the receiver.

Not sure if the unicable LNB route is a viable one for you. It would mean no extra cabling. However, depends on what other receivers are connected to the LNB.

It's a sky dish which has one cable down to the receiver which has two ends.

I have ordered the Xtrend et8000. Only gone for twin tuner at the moment.

abu baniaz
22-01-16, 18:31
It's a sky dish which has one cable down to the receiver which has two ends.

I have ordered the Xtrend et8000. Only gone for twin tuner at the moment.

I am talking about the LNB. Can we establish how many free ports there are on you LNB please?

Please correct me if I am wrong, Do you you have a shotgun cable (two cables stuck tgether)? This is the standard installation method. If so, it has four ends. Two ends at the LNB end and two ends at the receiver end.

Dannylfc
22-01-16, 19:06
I am talking about the LNB. Can we establish how many free ports there are on you LNB please?

Please correct me if I am wrong, Do you you have a shotgun cable (two cables stuck tgether)? This is the standard installation method. If so, it has four ends. Two ends at the LNB end and two ends at the receiver end.

Yes it is shot gun cable, two cables next to eschother.

DaMacFunkin
22-01-16, 19:16
But do you have spare ports on the lnb up on the dish, an lnb with just 2 ports on a sky dish is ancient, you probably have a quad lnb with 2 spare ports... run an extra cable from that if you ever add another tuner, you can never have too many.

Dannylfc
22-01-16, 19:22
But do you have spare ports on the lnb up on the dish, an lnb with just 2 ports on a sky dish is ancient, you probably have a quad lnb with 2 spare ports... run an extra cable from that if you ever add another tuner, you can never have too many.

Sorry mate I have no idea. I will have to check at the weekend. Is it fairly easy to install another cable?

Huevos
22-01-16, 19:22
The Duo is a dinosaur. ET8000 is good value for money, but I'd much rather have the Solo2. Has transcoding, blindscan and looks good.

Dannylfc
22-01-16, 19:50
The Duo is a dinosaur. ET8000 is good value for money, but I'd much rather have the Solo2. Has transcoding, blindscan and looks good.

Solo2 was an extra 40 pound and the majority of people recommended the xtrend over the Solo2. I'm sure either will do the job fine. But I do agree the Solo2 is better looking