PDA

View Full Version : Media Boxes

Tryharder
19-01-16, 12:08
I see by the date of the latest posts that things in the streaming area will have moved on. So I would like a little advice on which Streaming Box would currently be the EASIEST navigate and to use. My sister-in-law lives alone and like most women just about manages to use the remote but she loves watching films (horror mainly) .
I loaded a 2tb HDD with a load of films connected it to her tv via usb and then I just update it every few months. But life would be so much better if she just went on Kodi or whatever on an Android box for eg. and watched all the films and box sets she wants. Could anyone reccomend something that could do the job at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance....

Rgds.Tryharder

Trial
19-01-16, 13:00
Hi,
what is reasonable? Openelec (Linux with Kodi included) also offers a box for €90 with is also a STB. There are a lot of Android boxes on the market which can run Kodi. I have an Amazon Fire TV Box and with a bit of work Kodi is working there to.

ciao

Tryharder
19-01-16, 13:17
what is reasonable?

The Price isn't to significant. But simplicity of use is. If she can sign up to Netflix..run Kodi...BBC i Player etc. Then that would be perfect.

Thanks for your reply though

Rgds. Tryharder

Ashley69
19-01-16, 13:37
Amazon fire tv box or Apple tv for me!

Willmoore
19-01-16, 16:37
Amazon Firestick or FireTV - sideload Kodi - job done.

s2tephen
19-01-16, 18:25
Use Amazon Fire TV
Kodi Netflix etc

Read this thread no need to sideload on Amazon Fire TV
Makes it very easy

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?49710-Easy-install-kodi-on-amazon-fire-tv

Ps I would not use the Amazon fire stick to slow

Also try loading Firestarter a better frontend launcher.

DaMacFunkin
19-01-16, 18:29
Don't buy any fire tv product if you wish to watch your movies, amazon, netflix, kodi or whatever in the frame rate they are intended to be watched in.

s2tephen
19-01-16, 18:35
Don't buy any fire tv product if you wish to watch your movies, amazon, netflix, kodi or whatever in the frame rate they are intended to be watched in.

Suggestion ?

Ashley69
19-01-16, 19:27

:confused:

Trial
19-01-16, 19:39
Hi,

1. most people do not know the difference.
2. a firmware update is "announced" for several month and I heard a rumour that it should come next month.

From the view of ease to use the Fire TV is among the best.

ciao

s2tephen
19-01-16, 20:08
I use an i5 NUC with 256 SSD for my main media box loaded with OpenElec and 2 Amazon Fire TV Boxes loaded with Kodi for android ARM in the bedrooms.
I have no problems with any of my setups.
Kodi installed as per previous info on this thread.

Tryharder
20-01-16, 16:35

Don't wish to appear rude....but what the F.....

Rgds.Tryharder

Bazzer
20-01-16, 18:22
Don't wish to appear rude....but what the F.....

Rgds.Tryharder

Too many beers I think :beer_toast:

Ford1
20-01-16, 20:03
I have a nowtv box in the kids bedroom, side loaded plex and then have a iptv server sub to stream channels, its has bbc iplayer the option to subscribe to various sky packages on a month by month basis, but with plex/iptv there is no need.

Now it doesn't give the option of using kodi, and the wealth of content that can be found there, but for ease of use I cant fault it.

The box can be got for £15-£25 with a 2 month movies pass, then there are various ways (google them) to side load plex then get either a free/paid for server share for your channels, I wont go in to anymore detail as im not sure of site rules for this sort of thing.

fast65
21-01-16, 15:55
Raspberry Pi 2 can be set up for under £50. Load it with either openelec or osmc, use your phone or tablet as a remote using Yatze (free ) and away you go. Mine is stuck to back of Tv with velcro so cannot be seen. Leave it on all the time. Costs about £5 a year to run so I am told

regards

DaMacFunkin
21-01-16, 16:40
No 24fps, all gets speeded up to 60hz, not the correct way to watch a 'film'

s2tephen
21-01-16, 20:04
:confused:
Suggestions ?

Sicilian
23-01-16, 07:16
See the new Venz K1 4K Android box, runs Android 5.1.1 http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/android-devices/Android-MultiMedia-Players/Venz-Tech-K1-Plus-Android%205-1-1-media-streamer-with-full-4K-support

baz2011uk
24-01-16, 01:32
by the sounds of it you already have plenty of films that you load onto a 2tb HDD and pass it on
the most easiest way to pass theses films on (i guess you store them yourself) would be via PLex you create a Plex server on your PC then add your movies stored location (mine are on my NAS) to you Plex server
Plex will then scan and add movies info and cover for you (it can be picky if you have named them wrong) once thats done
at your sister in laws you will need a device Plex can be installed onto (there are loads to chose from Amazon fire sticks to xbox 360's even smart tv's can do it) some maybe better than other but i have had no issues with Amazon sticks Samsung smart tv ruko sticks and web browsers
once you choose your device log in as you and thats it your movies are there
if you add a new movies to you movie collection in the set location it will update Plex automatically same as if you remove a movie it will remove it from Plex

i do this for the in laws as they are not techy at all and they use a Amazon fire stick and have never had a issue using it

there is 1 downside if your PC is the Plex server when you turn off the PC Any Plex device will not find the Plex server and will not work a small price considering how easy the set up is and how cheap it is also
you could build a Plex server that runs 24/7 but TBH i belive the cost would go to about £200/250 for a good spec one