PDA

View Full Version : ET8000 with 3 tuners - to use with Sly UK & VM

bsdbm
13-01-16, 13:51
Hi all,

Currently use a vu+ zero with the latest openvix and like the setup.

However, am about to have VM fibre Broadband installed (no tv) but understand I can split the cable that comes in for the BB via a splitter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002VPIT0A - bought that) and could then connect two cable tuners to that and enjoy freeview / FTA TV through the VM feed. Does this sound right?

Also, having a satellite tuner in it also would allow me still to enjoy the FTA channels through the dish I have on my house as well? Similar to what I use the zero for now?

Just checking I am looking at the right box, as would also be looking to add a 1TB HD to the box which is currently gathering dust at home. Would be handy to have two cable tuners and one satellite in the same box, and also a large HD to record on. Just checking this sounds like the right setup for what I am considering!

Any advice welcomed. Obvs would be looking to buy the box from WoS, in the next few days potentially as VM installing next week. Cheers

joysleep1
13-01-16, 14:50
Hi all,

Currently use a vu+ zero with the latest openvix and like the setup.

However, am about to have VM fibre Broadband installed (no tv) but understand I can split the cable that comes in for the BB via a splitter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002VPIT0A - bought that) and could then connect two cable tuners to that and enjoy freeview / FTA TV through the VM feed. Does this sound right?

Also, having a satellite tuner in it also would allow me still to enjoy the FTA channels through the dish I have on my house as well? Similar to what I use the zero for now?

Just checking I am looking at the right box, as would also be looking to add a 1TB HD to the box which is currently gathering dust at home. Would be handy to have two cable tuners and one satellite in the same box, and also a large HD to record on. Just checking this sounds like the right setup for what I am considering!

Any advice welcomed. Obvs would be looking to buy the box from WoS, in the next few days potentially as VM installing next week. Cheers

yh that would work fine. Have you used any enigma 2 receivers before?

bsdbm
13-01-16, 14:54
Hi mate. Just the VU+ zero box I've had for the past few months, so limited experience but have set that up myself.

joysleep1
13-01-16, 15:02
Hi mate. Just the VU+ zero box I've had for the past few months, so limited experience but have set that up myself.

Yh so everything should be fine with the et8000. you would need a loop cable to allow both cable tuners to work.

bsdbm
13-01-16, 15:53
A loop cable? Where do I get this and what does it look like? I assume I still need to split the original VM cable 3 ways (I.e. Original coming into house, split into 3 - 1 to super hub, 1 to cable tuner A and 1 to cable tuner B)? Then this loop somewhere?

joysleep1
13-01-16, 16:28
A loop cable? Where do I get this and what does it look like? I assume I still need to split the original VM cable 3 ways (I.e. Original coming into house, split into 3 - 1 to super hub, 1 to cable tuner A and 1 to cable tuner B)? Then this loop somewhere?

You would only need a two way splitter. One going into your modem for broadband and one going into one of the tuners. Then it would loop into the other tuner .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0058HGLVW?keywords=aerial%20cable%20male%20to%20f emale&qid=1452698651&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

Have a look at the link. Something like that i think

Ford1
13-01-16, 22:18
Not too sure if I am right, but I think the et8000 comes with a loop through cable in the box, at least that's what I think it is, I don't use mine as I only have two tuners, both satellite, and they have independent feeds.

From what I imagine you require this cable would work??

bsdbm
14-01-16, 13:54
Just ordered my ET8000 box from WoS - so should have it to set up over the weekend. Will no doubt be back on here for help! Cheers all!

joysleep1
14-01-16, 16:19
i do not think the loop cable it comes with is for cable.

abu baniaz
14-01-16, 16:23
it is coaxial wire. what else would it be for?

bsdbm
14-01-16, 16:50
it is coaxial wire. what else would it be for?

So just to be 100% clear, what i need is in the box?

Otherwise was going to order this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271427977827 ?

abu baniaz
14-01-16, 17:10
Some tuners have F-plug connectors, some others have Belling-Lee connectors.

A coaxial wire/cable is just that. Provided the connectors fit, you can use them for any tuner, be it DVB-T (Terrestrial), DVB-S (satellite) and DVB-C (cable TV).

I don't have the receiver, so cannot comment whether the loop cable is the F-plug or Belling-Lee type. Bets to wait for someone who has the receiver to post back or for the receiver to arrive.

Sicilian
14-01-16, 17:34
So just to be 100% clear, what i need is in the box?

Otherwise was going to order this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271427977827 ?

That's is fine for the DVB-C loopthru.

bsdbm
18-01-16, 11:39
Still waiting to have VM cable installed, so haven't got everything set up yet for my ET8000, but its running ok for Sly.

Managed to copy over the settings for ABM/plug-ins etc. from my VU+ zero box, so the satellite tuner (C) working fine effectively as freesat for 28.2E.

However, the cable in the box with the receiver (which was mentioned above by joysleep1 and abu baniaz) seems to be male at both ends, so I think its a satellite loop-through rather than what I would need for cable tuners; is this right? I need to make sure I have everything ready for end of the week when install happening. I could obvs buy the short cable Sicilian confirmed as ok above...?

Also, for this 'loop-through', is this how it should be connected? (I know this is a mutantHD2400, but I assume the connection is the same? I have cable tuners on A and B, C is satellite tuner).

Thanks!

joysleep1
18-01-16, 12:43
Still waiting to have VM cable installed, so haven't got everything set up yet for my ET8000, but its running ok for Sly.

Managed to copy over the settings for ABM/plug-ins etc. from my VU+ zero box, so the satellite tuner (C) working fine effectively as freesat for 28.2E.

However, the cable in the box with the receiver (which was mentioned above by joysleep1 and abu baniaz) seems to be male at both ends, so I think its a satellite loop-through rather than what I would need for cable tuners; is this right? I need to make sure I have everything ready for end of the week when install happening. I could obvs buy the short cable Sicilian confirmed as ok above...?

Also, for this 'loop-through', is this how it should be connected? (I know this is a mutantHD2400, but I assume the connection is the same? I have cable tuners on A and B, C is satellite tuner).

Thanks!

Yh that is what i meant. I think it is some sort of satellite loop through. The loop in the picture looks correct. That is how i have set it up with my xtrend 10000

bsdbm
18-01-16, 13:57
Thanks, I will have to buy the appropriate cable for the loop through then.

One other thing hopefully someone can help with... FTP / File transferring....

with my VU+ zero, I used to be able to access the file structure of the box through my Windows 10 laptop (didn't have to use filezilla or anything). It just used to show up in the 'My computer' or 'Network' part of windows. With the ET8000, I cannot see the box in Windows, even though it is connected in an identical way to how the zero was. Is there a plugin i need to install to the ET8000 which will enable me to see it?

Or, if i need to use an FTP programme, what is the IP address of the box for me to connect to? I see other threads where it says login is ROOT and PASSWORD (or blank), but not sure what i should be entering in the first box to be able to access?

Would prefer just to see file structure in Windows so i can drag and drop files in as i need ideally! Any advice appreciated!

bsdbm
18-01-16, 14:13
Had a further hunt, looks like it should be simple-ish to get into the box through:
Menu > Setup > Network to get the IP of the box in order to connect through an FTP program (FileZilla)?

But is there any way I can make it just appear in my Windows again without having to use any other program?

ccs
18-01-16, 14:18
Pretty sure you just need to start Samba via network settings.

bsdbm
18-01-16, 14:34
Sounds familiar! I think I may have done that on my zero, but not on this ET8000... Will try tonight! Thanks

bsdbm
18-01-16, 22:21
Thanks ccs, Samba did the trick. Can see the box in Windows now, and have access to all the files I need :-)

bsdbm
19-01-16, 10:53
Yh that is what i meant. I think it is some sort of satellite loop through. The loop in the picture looks correct. That is how i have set it up with my xtrend 10000

Hi guys, only a couple of days until VM install BB so trying to get all set...

Quick Q - is there any advantage to plugging in two direct separate feeds into the two cable tuners i have, over and above using the loop through cable?

I could do either, as have a 3 way splitter and cables, but equally have the necessary loop through cable too.... just curious as to what one would give me vs. the other, or if there is no difference whatsoever?

DaMacFunkin
19-01-16, 11:05
Use 1 cable from your tap point and loop through, try to avoid splitting the feed yourself, you may lose signal quality and introduce noise into the network.

bsdbm
19-01-16, 12:41
Ok, will do. Will this still enable me to watch one channel at the same time as recording another on the other cable tuners (A & B)? Or even record two cable programmes and watch a third on my satellite tuner (C)?

bsdbm
27-01-16, 10:21
Quick update for anyone interested, following my VM install last week I have got the ET8000 working well with all three tuners - working with the loop through between the two cable tuners, and the satellite tuner working harmoniously alongside them.

1TB Hard Drive working fine for recordings, fitting into the box and then initialising/mounting was surprisingly simple in OpenViX. I am able to watch and record programmes exactly as I had hoped to.

After enabling Samba in the Network Settings I was able to FTP to the box which was useful in assisting to get mgcamd 1.38 working well within the latest build of OpenViX (3.2.035).

Big thanks to all who assisted me with advice on how to get up and running; hopefully I (and this thread) can be of some help to others struggling to get setup..!

minizone
07-05-16, 08:08
Hi
Are you using cccam or mgcamd, reason I ask using my multi epg should switching between cable (tuner A) to satellite tuner (Tuner B) channels be instant
and picture appear instantly.

any help much appreciated

twol
07-05-16, 09:30
Hi
Are you using cccam or mgcamd, reason I ask using my multi epg should switching between cable (tuner A) to satellite tuner (Tuner B) channels be instant
and picture appear instantly.

any help much appreciated
If you read his last post it says mgcamd