PDA

View Full Version : Installing HDD into ET8000

paul1098
11-01-16, 00:43
Totally new to all this but looking to buy an ET8000 & already have a spare 500GB Sata drive so was wondering how easy it was to install it?

I'm assuming the ET8000 has a spare power cable & Sata cable. Is there a slot for 3.5" HDD?

What formatting would I need to do & will I need to install multiple partitions. Is the formatting done with HDD in pc or in ET8000?

I can generally find my way round the inside of a windows pc but no experience of linux whatsoever so any assistance or a location of a guide would be much appreciated.

Ford1
11-01-16, 01:11
The box comes with an internal cradle and relevant wiring. when I used mine, I formatted it windows first, then fit to box. there is a guide on here for first time setup's that has the relevant info for initialising and filesystem settings for the HDD. its super easy, and shouldn't take more than 20 mins to fit, and 10 mins to set up. Good luck !!!

bluepassat
11-01-16, 01:18
I have the xtrend et8000 as of last week....very fast box you wont regret it. its very easy to setup

just lift off the lid 5 screws it will take a 2.5 or 3.5 inch sata drive all the cables you need are supplied, you even get the screws

I formatted mine as a new partition in my windows PC 640gb 5400rpm....ntfs file system

when installed goto menu...setup....system....storage devices you can mount it and initialise it

done

regards

blue

paul1098
11-01-16, 08:13
Thanks Gents,

That sounds very straightforward. I'll go looking for the guide as well.

dwarf
11-01-16, 13:45
There no need to format it or partition it in windows before hand as initializing the disk on the box will create a ext4 partition

paul1098
14-01-16, 12:30
I seem to be having an issue with the HDD.
When I go to menu...setup....system....storage devices the only device I can see is the usb stick.

The HDD is a 500gb seagate out of a sky box, I've partitioned it & set it to fat 32 with the pc prior to fitting it.
Do I need to do anything else or should I be able to see it in storage devices?

bsdbm
14-01-16, 14:16
(sorry to jump on paul1098 - hope your HD issue gets sorted)

My ET8000 arriving tomorrow, I have a couple of 1TB HD's at home and plan to fit one of them over the weekend. I don't have any way of 'formatting' the drives, and have no idea what's on there (I don't care). Can i just install the box and format it through the ET8000 or will I need to somehow format it before I fit???

Ashley69
14-01-16, 14:26
(sorry to jump on paul1098 - hope your HD issue gets sorted)

My ET8000 arriving tomorrow, I have a couple of 1TB HD's at home and plan to fit one of them over the weekend. I don't have any way of 'formatting' the drives, and have no idea what's on there (I don't care). Can i just install the box and format it through the ET8000 or will I need to somehow format it before I fit???

See post 5

paul1098
14-01-16, 15:01
Having done a bit of a search is it likely that my HDD is wanting to pull too much power & hence not spinning up which is the reason it doesn't display in the mount section?

bsdbm
14-01-16, 15:07
See post 5

ok thanks, but what if there is say 900Gb of data on the disk, will it just create a new 100Gb partition?? This is the question! I doubt there is, but i am not sure!

bluepassat
14-01-16, 15:20
I seem to be having an issue with the HDD.
When I go to menu...setup....system....storage devices the only device I can see is the usb stick.

The HDD is a 500gb seagate out of a sky box, I've partitioned it & set it to fat 32 with the pc prior to fitting it.
Do I need to do anything else or should I be able to see it in storage devices?

I would plug into a windows pc and go into admin tools and format ntfs that's what I did with mine and it showed up straight away

good luck

blue

paul1098
14-01-16, 15:36
I'll give that a go & see if it makes a difference.

Hopefully it's nothing more than that.
I got the impression from #5 that the formatting didn't matter.

dwarf
14-01-16, 15:39
Its nothing to do with formatting or partitioning the drive!

Can you hear the drive spin up when you power the receiver on? If not is the drive ok? Have you checked the connections on the motherboard to the drive in the STB?

Do you have another drive you can plug in does it spin up? I doubt the drive is drawing too much power I have a 2tb in my ET10000 and it works fine.

To the other people jumping on the thread initializing the drive on the STB will wipe all data and all partitions on the drive regardless of what is on the disk. I would recommend you start your own thread if you are still having issues as its not really fair to jump on this thread.

paul1098
14-01-16, 15:44
I never noticed the drive starting up so very likely it's not working in stb.

I had the drive working in a pc just prior to installing into the stb so drive should be OK.

I'll pull the cover off & check connections & HDD. Hopefully I've not got them wrong as it seemed fairly straightforward although it was late when I did it.

dwarf
14-01-16, 15:47
If your in openvix and push the blue button and choose vix and check your mount settings to see if the HDD is being detected at all and being mounted wrong.

paul1098
14-01-16, 15:51
I'll check again when I get home but the only thing that was showing up for mounting or initialize was the usb stick.
When I pulled the usb & rebooted , no devices showed.

DaMacFunkin
14-01-16, 16:43
Nearly forgot, I installed an HDD in a new E8000 and it had screws for a 3.5 inch hard drive but not for a 2.5, I had to scratch about for some.

Huevos
14-01-16, 17:19
I would plug into a windows pc and go into admin tools and format ntfs that's what I did with mine and it showed up straight away

good luck

blue
Whatever you do in Windows will just get overwritten by Linux when initializing the drive so there is no point in doing it.

paul1098
14-01-16, 18:02
Disk isn't starting. Just had a look & the plug on the supplied cable doesn't really fit properly into the connector on the pcb. Can't see anywhere else on the pcb for it to go so I'll have to bodge it or get in touch with WOS.

abu baniaz
14-01-16, 18:08
Are you plugging it in the right socket? Can yo post a picture please?

paul1098
14-01-16, 18:22
Picture attached. Hope thats clear

paul1098
14-01-16, 18:52
Is that the right location & does the little solid triangle define the side where the red wire is?

DaMacFunkin
14-01-16, 19:13
Like I said I installed one of these last week and it isn't immediately obvious which way round the plug goes on as there are no notches, you could in my opinion force the plug on the wrong way way round if you wasn't paying attention.

bluepassat
14-01-16, 19:23
there is a notch...if you look closely it matches up, on the motherboard at the bottom you will see a grove match this up with the lug

paul1098
14-01-16, 20:04
I can't see a notch that corresponds with anything on the plug. It's definately not the right plug for the connector but It'll fit at a pinch.

Like I said I installed one of these last week and it isn't immediately obvious which way round the plug goes on as there are no notches, you could in my opinion force the plug on the wrong way way round if you wasn't paying attention.
Which way round did you fit it? Was the red wire facing the rear of the case or the front?

bluepassat
14-01-16, 20:40
mines all wired up, but I did find this for you

paul1098
14-01-16, 20:43
That looks like you have the correct plug. I've had a look at other plugs on the mboard with the same latch arrangement & they look like yours. My power plug is different to that.
The red & yellow wires are in the same place.

bluepassat
14-01-16, 20:47
can you post a picture of the end of your power lead plug

paul1098
14-01-16, 20:53
Best photo I could manage.

bluepassat
14-01-16, 20:58
I cant see it very well..

the picture I posted is the same as mine

paul1098
14-01-16, 21:03
The picture you posted has the correct plug. In the top left of your picture is a similar plug although it's only a 2 wire one. I had a look at that & it's totally different to mine.
Not sure what mines off.

I'll contact WOS tommoz & see if they swop it out otherwise I'll butcher this one to fit.

bluepassat
14-01-16, 21:09
the wiring provided for the hard drive in the box is joined together

sata connection and 4 pin power plug

the picture you posted in 21 looks correct....will it not fit?

paul1098
14-01-16, 21:25
The sata & power cable is joined together but the power plug on mine is not correct. The only way I could get it to fit would be to butcher it. I will do that if I have to but would prefer a proper plug.

bsdbm
18-01-16, 11:16
Hi Paul, did you get sorted in the end? My ET8000 arrived Friday. Fitted my 1tb HD in fine with the cable supplied in the box, happy to share pics if needed but looks identical to pic on post #28 (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?49844-Installing-HDD-into-ET8000&p=388547&viewfull=1#post388547) except my cable is black, not red. Hope you got it sorted m8!

ALISAT
18-01-16, 12:05
Hi my new ET8000 will be delivered tomorrow. I have a new 2.5" 500GB drive that I plan to install. Is it just plug and play and format the drive through the ET8000. Has anyone got any links to any youtube video or instruction on how to install and format the drive.

bsdbm
18-01-16, 12:24
Undo the 5 screws from the ET8000, 3 on back, 2 on sides. Slide the cover off.

The drive goes in the front left of the box. The cable to connect it all up, and screws to secure the HD are included in the box with the ET8000 from WoS.

There are three connections to plug in, two into the motherboard of the ET8000, and one into the HD itself. As per the pic attached shamelessly taken from post #28...

When fully fitted and cover replaced turn on the box.

Goto: Menu > Setup > System > Storage Devices.

This is where you need to Initialise (format to ext4 linux file structure) and Mount the HD to the receiver.

That's all I did when installing mine at the weekend.

ALISAT
18-01-16, 12:52
prefect. thanks for your help

dfox
28-02-16, 08:12
Undo the 5 screws from the ET8000, 3 on back, 2 on sides. Slide the cover off.

The drive goes in the front left of the box. The cable to connect it all up, and screws to secure the HD are included in the box with the ET8000 from WoS.

There are three connections to plug in, two into the motherboard of the ET8000, and one into the HD itself. As per the pic attached shamelessly taken from post #28...

When fully fitted and cover replaced turn on the box.

Goto: Menu > Setup > System > Storage Devices.

This is where you need to Initialise (format to ext4 linux file structure) and Mount the HD to the receiver.

That's all I did when installing mine at the weekend.

Just fitted a 500gb Seagate HD out of a sky box, used this picture as a guide and it nice and simple to do.

paul1098
29-02-16, 12:28
Hi Paul, did you get sorted in the end? My ET8000 arrived Friday. Fitted my 1tb HD in fine with the cable supplied in the box, happy to share pics if needed but looks identical to pic on post #28 (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?49844-Installing-HDD-into-ET8000&p=388547&viewfull=1#post388547) except my cable is black, not red. Hope you got it sorted m8!

Yep all sorted. My box had to go back because of the controller connections & wos sorted the proper cable at the same time.