PDA

View Full Version : Virgin media are poor

abu baniaz
11-01-16, 00:37
These are my speedtest results

Apparently this is normal. I should be getting 50Mbs. I rang up and the person said everything is normal. He then said some work is taking place after allegedly speaking to someone. I should be expecting these speeds until the end of the month.

Whn I asked him to cput me through to teh person he spoke to, call miraculously never got through. Although he was able to speak to them instantly first time. Lying imbecile.

They then cut the call.

Walt
11-01-16, 01:51
Wow. Your upload speed is still faster than mine! lol

Sicilian
11-01-16, 08:28
I've been having issues for months with connection dying overnight, reboot of modem does not even fix, don't come back online until later the following morning. Happened 4 times now since xmas.

bsdbm
11-01-16, 09:45
You've got me worried now. Just ordered the 50mb through uSwitch. I'm in area 22. Which are you in? Should say on your setup email/bill. I only ask as see you're also in London and looks like not far from me...

Apparently this is normal. I should be getting 50Mbs. I rang up and the person said everything is normal. He then said some work is taking place after allegedly speaking to someone. I should be expecting these speeds until the end of the month.

Whn I asked him to cput me through to teh person he spoke to, call miraculously never got through. Although he was able to speak to them instantly first time. Lying imbecile.

They then cut the call.

maxben
11-01-16, 10:48
Have you ppl having problems joined the Virgin community forums ? if so look in the speed section there are hundreds and hundreds of ppl with what they call 'utilisation' problems, in other words they are over selling capacity in many areas. It is a user forum but VM staff do frequent so post and ask if there is a capacity issue in your area. Be aware though it can take up to 5 days for staff to answer so don't bump your thread otherwise it will go to the bottom of the pile.

If you should have a 'utilisation' issue they ask you to post modem stats to check all is in order your end, then they fob you off with what they call review dates which get pushed back and back and an actual fix date could be months and months away, even years. They do offer monthly discounts if you have a problem but you have call up monthly to get it.

If not already done so set up a Think Broadband quality monitor and you will see how bad things really are with your connection.

That was my situation a year ago this month when I swapped to VDSL and would never go back to VM, this gives me a very stable 75/18 connection 24/7.

BTW if you do leave VM they leave you connected in the hope you will go back so you can still receive the FTA TV :)

deleted
11-01-16, 11:04
Tell them to send you a free license of a WAP browser, to make their internet connection useful.

Ashley69
11-01-16, 13:17
There is definitely a major issue Abu. Even accounting for utilisation your speeds would not drop this low.
What are your power levels like on the router? Upstream and Downstream

Ev0
11-01-16, 13:19

They then cut the call.

There CS always has been sh1te, how there still in business i'll never know.

I've been having issues for months with connection dying overnight, reboot of modem does not even fix, don't come back online until later the following morning. Happened 4 times now since xmas.

There hubs are really sensitive to signal levels, if there too high or too low it causes big problems with dropping connection.

Mr. Mister
11-01-16, 14:19
I know virgin are slighty different than any other provider..

But if im ever asked which provider to use.. I always give them the same answer..

Always BT.. Reason is very simple....

If you need an electrician.. Why would you call a plumber..??

In other words.. Always go straight to source..

satmanbasil
11-01-16, 16:04
Hi

Virgin been quite stable here get the odd drop in the evening but nothing to worry about as it could be
demand on home network with pc's satellite and iptv all running

nsw9154
11-01-16, 16:09
never had a problem with my Virgin internet i regularly get over 80meg from my 100meg broadband and getting upped to 150meg next week :confused:

pac2000
11-01-16, 18:49
Abu That Connection Is 100 Times Slower Than Mine, Both In Download And Ping Test... I'd Go On Their Forum And The Staff Will Arrange An Engineer To Call... Ringing Them Is Useless... You'll Get A Reply And Action Taken Very Fast On The Forum...

As For BT, They Are Daylight Robbers... If You Have A Problem, They Threaten You With A £100 Call Out Charge For Their Engineer If The Fault Is Within Your Property...

ccs
11-01-16, 20:21
As For BT, They Are Daylight Robbers... If You Have A Problem, They Threaten You With A £100 Call Out Charge For Their Engineer If The Fault Is Within Your Property...... so if it's your problem, not BT's, what do you expect?

Walt
12-01-16, 08:48
... so if it's your problem, not BT's, what do you expect?
If you're not a telecommunications engineer, how would you know?

ccs
12-01-16, 10:37
BT can usually work out where the problem is over the phone.
If the external wiring has failed, or there's a fault on a substation, they'll know.
If your BT router/modem isn't working they'll suggest things to try, and if it still doesn't work its probably a router hardware fault.
If you're using your own router then it's not their problem.
Not much else can go wrong, as far as BT is concerned.