PDA

View Full Version : opening ports on your router

Ashley69
04-01-16, 22:02
I have a question regarding opening ports on your router.
I have only one port open which gives me access to my CCTV when I'm away from the house. The access to the CCTV has a username and password that I generated and very strong.
How does opening this port make it vulnerable to other devices on my network IE my VU+dou2.
Sorry for all the questions.

abu baniaz
04-01-16, 22:16
Post moved to its own thread

pembo
04-01-16, 22:22
Ultimately it depends how vulnerable the CCTV software is.
Just because it has a username and password doesn't mean it is necessarily safe.

judge
04-01-16, 22:37
You're opening a door on your network, so now as well as having your router scanned for vulnerabilities, the box you host your CCTV software is also being scanned for vulnerabilities.
This also uses your network traffic.
You also have other un-secured devices on that network, if any vulnerabilities are found, they could be wide open.

Ashley69
04-01-16, 22:58
Thanks gents.
Thinking about what you've said makes sense. I've always been under the impression that a strong username and password would suffice.
I think more reading is required on this subject for me and a visit to the Avtech website regarding my CCTV software.

avi68
04-01-16, 23:21
I know this isn't a CCTV forum but I have an Avtech dvr which is port forwarded to the Internet. Now I agree with the people on here, it isn't the best and secure way of doing things but I've had my CCTV kit forwarded for years (probably over 8 years) without any problems. It looks like the Avtech software provided on the dvr is good enough and secure.

Now when I port forwarded my vu duo box, I realised someone was accessing it and was watching my channels. I changed my password several times (making them stronger every time) but that didn't help. It looks like they had a url which bypassed the security of the sat box and streamed the channel they wanted.

Therefore what I have done is create a VPN connection (via my router) which I access and stream by duo from. This way the box is not forwarded to the net and its secure. However both my nas box and CCTV are port forwarded. :o

judge
05-01-16, 01:23
Therefore what I have done is create a VPN connection (via my router) which I access and stream by duo from. This way the box is not forwarded to the net and its secure. However both my nas box and CCTV are port forwarded. :o
Why aren't you using your VPN for all services?
Port forwarding to your NAS is just asking for trouble.

pembo
05-01-16, 07:42
just google or bing avtech dvr vulnerabilities.

rossi2000
05-01-16, 08:17
do they not have a cloud service where u dont need any open ports to the web to access your stuff?

Huevos
05-01-16, 10:56
Port forwarding to your NAS is just asking for trouble.Not sure what you mean by this. The NAS is made to be public facing. If you closed the ports on the router how would the public documents be accessible?

judge
05-01-16, 11:41
Not sure what you mean by this. The NAS is made to be public facing. If you closed the ports on the router how would the public documents be accessible?
Port forwarding to your NAS on a home network is asking for issues unless you're up to date on all new vulnerabilities found daily.

Huevos
05-01-16, 18:35
Why? It is just a Linux server running Apache, same as any forward facing server found anywhere else on the internet.

avi68
05-01-16, 21:58
Port forwarding to your NAS is just asking for trouble.

Because using a VPN slows things down whereas using port forwarding is much quicker. I've noticed this especially when using the NAS to transfer things.

avi68
05-01-16, 22:00
do they not have a cloud service where u dont need any open ports to the web to access your stuff?

No unfortunately this isn't available. If you want to view your CCTV you will need to set it up from your local network, like your personal cloud (not a generic one)

avi68
05-01-16, 22:04
Not sure what you mean by this. The NAS is made to be public facing. If you closed the ports on the router how would the public documents be accessible?

I could access it via the VPN and turn off the port forwarding but I haven't had any issue so I've left it with port forwarding activated.

judge
06-01-16, 03:35
Why? It is just a Linux server running Apache, same as any forward facing server found anywhere else on the internet.

Most home users wont know how to harden apache or linux, update as vulnerabilities are found, not to mind the other ports forwarded to a NAS.

judge
06-01-16, 03:37
I could access it via the VPN and turn off the port forwarding but I haven't had any issue so I've left it with port forwarding activated.
Waiting for an issue to happen isn't a solution.