PDA

View Full Version : ET8000 advice.

DaMacFunkin
02-01-16, 14:22
Hello I am thinking of purchasing one of these for my sister, can anyone answer these 2 questions first?
A. The sponsor offers 2 wireless adapters for this device, are they both supported by vix out of the box or do they require additional driver download?
B. Is there plenty of room in that slim box for a 3.5" HDD?
Cheers.

Ford1
02-01-16, 14:29
A. Not to sure about this as all my et8000 are hardwired to the routers

B. Plenty of room, iv transferred the HDDS from old slyboxs in to all mine, very easy and more than enough room.

These are a boringly great box, that do just about everything you need.

ccs
02-01-16, 14:34
The GigaBlue USB 2.0 WiFi adapter for an ET10k needs a plugin download after every new image flash. (A real pain.)
So a (temporary) wired connection will also be needed.
I'd imagine the ET8000 will be the same.

DaMacFunkin
02-01-16, 14:40
The GigaBlue USB 2.0 WiFi adapter for an ET10k needs a plugin download after every new image flash. (A real pain.)
So a (temporary) wired connection will also be needed.
I'd imagine the ET8000 will be the same.

Bummer exactly what I wanted to avoid, her router is no where near the tv.
Anybody else know for definite?

electrocop
02-01-16, 15:38
Why not use a WiFi bridge adapter rather than a USB stick type? There will be no need for drivers on the box, as it just sees the adapter as a wired LAN connection. I have been using them on two of my boxes for the last few years with no issues at all......

judge
02-01-16, 15:39
You could use a Wireless AP: http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Networking/Networking-WiFi/Tenda-150Mbps-Portable-Wireless-Access-Point-Router-Wireless-wifibridge-WIFI-W150M
Sponsor also has good value home plugs: http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Networking/Networking-Homeplugs/Tenda-P200-200Mbps-Homeplugs-Powerline-Mini-Adapter-Pair

DaMacFunkin
02-01-16, 16:55
Why not use a WiFi bridge adapter rather than a USB stick type? There will be no need for drivers on the box, as it just sees the adapter as a wired LAN connection. I have been using them on two of my boxes for the last few years with no issues at all......

Mmm maybe a good idea...

DaMacFunkin
02-01-16, 16:57
You could use a Wireless AP: http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Networking/Networking-WiFi/Tenda-150Mbps-Portable-Wireless-Access-Point-Router-Wireless-wifibridge-WIFI-W150M
Sponsor also has good value home plugs: http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Networking/Networking-Homeplugs/Tenda-P200-200Mbps-Homeplugs-Powerline-Mini-Adapter-Pairi have a wireless Edimax Realtek based adaptor that works out of the box with my solo2, I just thought there maybe one for the Extrend, or will the same Edimax work with the Xtrend?

Ford1
02-01-16, 17:25
Sorry I forgot to say one of my et8000 is networked using a sky anytime wireless lan adapter, wireless to the router, lan cable from this to the box, this works flawlessly.

On a side note, I have at least 1, that suffers from a problem when the box can lose internet, apparently I have heard this is a driver issue xtrend are working on??? putting the box in to deep standby and waking it with the remote cures the problem.

It is documented in the et8000 sub forum I believe.

Sicilian
02-01-16, 21:35
Ferguson 150mbps wifi adapter drivers pre-installed. Homeplugs or hard wired always better imo.

DaMacFunkin
03-01-16, 15:07
Sorry I forgot to say one of my et8000 is networked using a sky anytime wireless lan adapter, wireless to the router, lan cable from this to the box, this works flawlessly.

On a side note, I have at least 1, that suffers from a problem when the box can lose internet, apparently I have heard this is a driver issue xtrend are working on??? putting the box in to deep standby and waking it with the remote cures the problem.

It is documented in the et8000 sub forum I believe.

Cheers for this, just remembered she has a sky wireless lan converter, that will do.

sparky119
03-01-16, 16:37
Just use a homeplug

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

mr.raw
06-01-16, 09:34
Hello I am thinking of purchasing one of these for my sister, can anyone answer these 2 questions first?
A. The sponsor offers 2 wireless adapters for this device, are they both supported by vix out of the box or do they require additional driver download?
B. Is there plenty of room in that slim box for a 3.5" HDD?
Cheers.

I bought mine with the tiny Ferguson usb wifi and no drivers needed at all. I have flashed loads of different images. Box picks it up no problems.

DaMacFunkin
08-01-16, 19:51
So i bought box and received it today from sponsor, just setting it up for my sister (and her kids), can't seem to find an a/v button on the multi function remote control... surely an oversight?

twol
08-01-16, 20:35
So i bought box and received it today from sponsor, just setting it up for my sister (and her kids), can't seem to find an a/v button on the multi function remote control... surely an oversight?
What do you need it for? Do you have more than one input? Otherwise use hotel mode to set the input on power up.

DaMacFunkin
08-01-16, 20:41
Well yes they have Xbox 360 and fire stick, I have never seen a multifunction remote that doesn't have an a/v button, is there anyway to program one of the F buttons?

Sicilian
09-01-16, 07:23
Sure u can in button setup. Menu > setup > system > button setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaMacFunkin
09-01-16, 07:25
Sorry i meant program it to use a/v?

mr.raw
13-01-16, 16:41
Sorry i meant program it to use a/v?

There are codes to use the tv etc and i am able to select which input on the tv via the xtrend remote via the mode button. Did not need to program it.

DaMacFunkin
13-01-16, 17:42
Cheers that was the info I was looking for, didn't realise mode meant a/v.
Still don't like the fact you can adjust the volume of the box even after you have set up with the tv rather than just being able to control the tv volume.

mr.raw
13-01-16, 17:51
Cheers that was the info I was looking for, didn't realise mode meant a/v.
Still don't like the fact you can adjust the volume of the box even after you have set up with the tv rather than just being able to control the tv volume.

Set the Remote to work with the TV and set the satellite box volume and then use the tv volume off the same remote.;)