PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 upgrade.

Blu-ray
01-01-16, 14:42
Hi, Have decided to upgrade to the free windows 10 from windows7, have ssd for windows 7 and 1tb for programes/games ect. Is it possible to have a dual boot system for windows 7/10 and keeping both activated for updates. Or wiil upgading to windows 10 mean that i loose the liceince for windows 7. If any one has allready done this is there any problems running 2 os systems on on computer.

twol
01-01-16, 15:07
If you upgrade you will get the free option but lose the Win7 system, although you will be able for 30 days to revert back.
If you do a clean install you can create a dual boot system but ... not free Win10 unless you can find an old WIN7/8 install disk with the key..
What you could try is backing up the Win7 system using say Acronis, do an upgrade to WIN 10 and allow it to register, then restore the Win7 to a separate partition...... never tried it may or may not work ... knowing Microsoft probably not!!
Helps to have one of the dual boot packages so you can adjust entries.
Also download the Win10 download utility from Microsoft, so you can create a USB install package .... I have "done" about 10 PC's and laptops so far with only one hardware problem (on a laptop with dual display adapters)

Blu-ray
03-01-16, 15:19
Hi, Need advice if this will work. Partion ssd drive then clone windows 7 to new partion and then upgrade to window 10 leaving my original windows 7 on the other partion. Have a 1tb hard drive with music, photos and programes from windows 7, will windows 10 use the 1tb drive to excess my music, photos and programes or will i have to partion the 1tb between windows 7/10 and clone whats on the 1tb drive to the new partion.

Sicilian
03-01-16, 16:37
The free upgrade will upgrade your windows 7 install, you wont be able to keep both.

deleted
03-01-16, 17:40
You should be able to perform a clean install using the November Update (1511) iso and a Windows 7 key (really make sure it's a win7 key and not a Vista key on the back of the laptop and an upgraded win7 install you might have done a few years back during the transition from Vista/Win7), as for what Microsoft will do with the Win7 activation a few weeks down the road is an unknown (my guess is not much). As for dual booting the 2 OS's depends on your own capabilities...

But, you can't do anything wrong really, because.... BACKUPS, you've made BACKUPS, right remember those BACKUPS? If you wanna start from scratch, boot into an Ubuntu live CD and run the command: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M, it'll sparkle as brand new, just don't do it on your SSD :)

Alec
05-01-16, 00:35
Hi, Have decided to upgrade to the free windows 10 from windows7, have ssd for windows 7 and 1tb for programes/games ect. Is it possible to have a dual boot system for windows 7/10 and keeping both activated for updates. Or wiil upgading to windows 10 mean that i loose the liceince for windows 7. If any one has allready done this is there any problems running 2 os systems on on computer.
I decided to clone win 7 to another HD, and then upgraded to Win 10, as HD are at a reasonable price.