PDA

View Full Version : Which is best ET8000 or ET9500?

jbeer
31-12-15, 02:35
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and in need of some advice as I will be placing an order with WOS in the next day or so but before I do I just wanted so guidance if you wouldn't mind.

I have been used to a Sky+HD box for the last few years and like the smoothness of its functions so with this in mind can anyone give me their thoughts on which box would be best for a similar style of performance? The ET8000 or ET9500?.

Which ever box I get I will be also getting WOS to add a 500GB Hard Drive so that I can store my EPG and any ripped dvd's etc.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie :)

Jason

judge
31-12-15, 02:44
ET8000, option for an extra tuner and much faster processor. Well worth the extra £.

twol
31-12-15, 08:43
Absolutely the ET8000 .... The higher number does not mean newer/better :)

bsdbm
31-12-15, 09:48
Hi guys, I was having the same thought and am in the same situation as jbeer, so happy i stumbled across this thread. The slow processor on the 9500 was concerning me, and was also confused by the model numbers thing as usually higher does mean better/newer in my world LOL!

How easy is it to add a HD to these yourself? I have a couple of 3.5" 1TB drives at home, and was considering buying one of these boxes and adding the drive. Would this invalidate warranty? Is there anything more that i need than just a drive itself to add (any cabling etc)? Thx

Sicilian
31-12-15, 09:52
Easy to install, come with everything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsdbm
31-12-15, 09:57
I have also just read that the drive will need to be initialized / formatted - is this easy to do through OpenVix or does it have to be done before the drive is added? I have a VU+ zero at the moment, which is running OpenVix and considering the upgrade to the ET8000 as it seems superior in price and features to another superior VU+ model.

Ashley69
31-12-15, 10:17
Yes it is simple to initialise through the menu/setup/sysetm/storage devices/initialisation

rossi2000
31-12-15, 10:17
yes just initialize it from the storage menu

Ford1
31-12-15, 10:20
I have set up 4 of these box's in the last 2 week,. they are very easy. thee is a very good and comprehensive guide in the forum on how to set them up. you will have no problems at all. id say they were probably the most user friendly to get up and running using open vix you wont be dissatisfied. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

jbeer
31-12-15, 15:12
This is all brilliant advice and glad I asked the question :) ET8000 will be ordered…thanks

Larry-G
31-12-15, 17:18
No enigma2 box will ever be as easy to use or as user friendly as a dedicated receiver from the service provider, so if that's what you really want you will be massively disappointed.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing enigma2 based receivers as I have been using them my self for years and once setup properly ( they do require a fair amount of setup and maintenance) they are pretty much bomb proof. But they can not be compared to a receiver offered by the service provider as they spend millions on user experience where as enigma2 is pretty much all user generated and the user experience can fluctuate wildly from receiver to receiver and depends massively on the skin and plugins you install.

jbeer
31-12-15, 17:43
No that's great thanks Larry is fully understand that…I have seen E2 and OpenVix on a friends box so I have seen the user interface and appreciate that there are a lot of individual set up configurations that can be done, what I was primarily looking for is a box that is bullet proof to a certain degree with a good processor therefore having reduced lag and good performance.

twol
31-12-15, 18:09
No enigma2 box will ever be as easy to use or as user friendly as a dedicated receiver from the service provider, so if that's what you really want you will be massively disappointed.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing enigma2 based receivers as I have been using them my self for years and once setup properly ( they do require a fair amount of setup and maintenance) they are pretty much bomb proof. But they can not be compared to a receiver offered by the service provider as they spend millions on user experience where as enigma2 is pretty much all user generated and the user experience can fluctuate wildly from receiver to receiver and depends massively on the skin and plugins you install.
Cannot agree Larry ... Have been a Sky user since analog days .... And its not been a great experience with their firmware, inability for years to be able to record series correctly and other issues .... Its only now because they try to lock you in to other "wonderful services" that they spent the money to improve the basic offering to where it is today.
At least (within reason) if I want a change in Enigma2 either I can find it as a plugin or can add it to my own builds .... Cannot do that with Sky ... You take what they give you:)

Ref the ET8000 .... Its the best Xtrend box since the 9200 ... Except of course the ET8500 ... But that is not a typical looking receiver and therefore not everyones cup of tea:)

Larry-G
31-12-15, 19:14
Cannot agree Larry ... Have been a Sky user since analog days .... And its not been a great experience with their firmware, inability for years to be able to record series correctly and other issues .... Its only now because they try to lock you in to other "wonderful services" that they spent the money to improve the basic offering to where it is today.
At least (within reason) if I want a change in Enigma2 either I can find it as a plugin or can add it to my own builds .... Cannot do that with Sky ... You take what they give you:)

Ref the ET8000 .... Its the best Xtrend box since the 9200 ... Except of course the ET8500 ... But that is not a typical looking receiver and therefore not everyones cup of tea:)

I have and still do use a sky receiver along side a e2 box and no you simply can not compare them. For simple plug and play rite out of the box sky's own box wins hands down every single time, the only ones who will say otherwise are those trying to sell you something. Yes in my opinion e2 beats sky's own box in almost every single way but e2 is not and will never be as user friendly or plug and play as a sky box and that's just a fact.

nsw9154
31-12-15, 19:40
you all want to try a Virgin TiVo box it's the worst pile of crap on the planet and the remote wants sending in to deep space i mainly bought a Harmony 650 because the TiVo remote is so bad
i love my E2 receivers and could never go back to a Sky Box i have 2 gathering dust in the spare bedroom :D:)

nearly forgot what i intended to say lol the ET8000 is a very good receiver with a fast processor and it will serve you well for years,i have the ET10k and its one of the best receivers their is

jbeer
31-12-15, 20:10
Thanks everyone and especially for helping me make my mind up and confirming I'm not going wrong with the ET8000

twol
31-12-15, 20:13
you all want to try a Virgin TiVo box it's the worst pile of crap on the planet and the remote wants sending in to deep space i mainly bought a Harmony 650 because the TiVo remote is so bad
i love my E2 receivers and could never go back to a Sky Box i have 2 gathering dust in the spare bedroom :D:)

nearly forgot what i intended to say lol the ET8000 is a very good receiver with a fast processor and it will serve you well for years,i have the ET10k and its one of the best receivers their is
ET10k is a great box, but for new people to E2 the ET8000 is such a boringly solid box.

tappari
01-01-16, 10:37
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and in need of some advice as I will be placing an order with WOS in the next day or so but before I do I just wanted so guidance if you wouldn't mind.

I have been used to a Sky+HD box for the last few years and like the smoothness of its functions so with this in mind can anyone give me their thoughts on which box would be best for a similar style of performance? The ET8000 or ET9500?.

Which ever box I get I will be also getting WOS to add a 500GB Hard Drive so that I can store my EPG and any ripped dvd's etc.

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie :)

Jason
My experience having ET 10000 and VU+ Duo2. Buy Duo2 and be happy.:)

Sicilian
01-01-16, 10:47
My experience having ET 10000 and VU+ Duo2. Buy Duo2 and be happy.:)

I'd disagree, I got duo2, hd2400, lx3 and et10k. Duo2 IMO is the worst performer of the lot with more less same hardware specs.

Remote with Duo2 is not great, centre silver button lets it down big time. Colour LCD just an expensive gimmick that hinders performance. Drivers on duo2 no better than any other models in its range, but it seems your on a crusade to discredit Xtrend going by many of your posts on different forums.

Tuner versatility on Duo2 is not great either with only 2 tuner slots. Et10k and hd2400 much more versatile.

Anyway back on topic, op never even mentioned the 10k.

tappari
01-01-16, 11:11
I'd disagree, I got duo2, hd2400, lx3 and et10k. Duo2 IMO is the worst performer of the lot with more less same hardware specs.

Remote with Duo2 is not great, centre silver button lets it down big time. Colour LCD just an expensive gimmick that hinders performance. Drivers on duo2 no better than any other models in its range, but it seems your on a crusade to discredit Xtrend going by many of your posts on different forums.

Tuner versatility on Duo2 is not great either with only 2 tuner slots. Et10k and hd2400 much more versatile.

Anyway back on topic, op never even mentioned the 10k.

With Duo2 you can have 2 x dual tuners which makes it 4 tuner box for example in C/T2 use.
Just copying Xtrend`s homepage of ET10000:
Real Quad Tuner PVR. Using a Loop Trough Output without having to use a splitter. All of the Quad tuners support DVB-C, DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-S and DVB-S2.
ET10000 can not operate with 4 x Si2169 internal T2 tuners. Only with three.

Sicilian
01-01-16, 11:18
With Duo2 you can have 2 x dual tuners which makes it 4 tuner box for example in C/T2 use.

That doesn't work if you want 3x Sat 1x Hybrid or 3x Hybrid 1x Sat. Imo SD PQ on Xtrends far better than VU+ too.

ET10000 can not operate with 4 x Si2169 internal T2 tuners. Only with three.

So you keep posting....

again back on topic....:rolleyes:

jbeer
02-01-16, 01:34
One final question if you guys wouldn't mind, I'm looking at getting my own HDD and was looking at this one - http://www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-p300-1tb-3-5--sata-6gb-s-7200rpm-64mb-high-performance-drive-hdwd110uzsva-BPR5.html?refs=52770000-42730000&src=3

Would this suit the ET8000?

nsw9154
02-01-16, 02:58
for best results you need a 5,400 rpm Hard Drive a 7,200 rpm will work but is not needed i have Toshiba 3TB drive's in my ET10k & Duo2 as i record a lot of programs but you can get them now for about £70 http://www.ebuyer.com/461603-toshiba-3tb-3-5-sata-desktop-hard-drive-retail-pack-pa4293e-1hn0

Sicilian
02-01-16, 06:51
If fitting 3.5" as post above go for a 5400 rpm or a 2.5" drive.

jbeer
02-01-16, 09:41
Great thanks both

tommycahir
04-01-16, 15:54
for best results you need a 5,400 rpm Hard Drive a 7,200 rpm will work but is not needed i have Toshiba 3TB drive's in my ET10k & Duo2 as i record a lot of programs but you can get them now for about £70 http://www.ebuyer.com/461603-toshiba-3tb-3-5-sata-desktop-hard-drive-retail-pack-pa4293e-1hn0

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but will be ordering an et8000 myself soon and am wondering why recommend a 5,000rpm drive over the 7,200?

Sicilian
04-01-16, 15:55
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here but will be ordering an et8000 myself soon and am wondering why recommend a 5,000rpm drive over the 7,200?

Less noise, less heat ;)

twol
04-01-16, 16:56
...... and you don't need the 7200 rpm

jbeer
04-01-16, 22:15
I don't mind you jumping in lol

I ordered my ET8000 and HDD and both are due for delivery tomorrow…I ordered this HDD - https://m.dabs.com/products/toshiba-l200-1tb-2-5--5400rpm-8mb-sata-internal-hdd-hdwj110uzsva-BPR1.html

Danny_Brewer
10-01-16, 10:24
Hi jbeer.

In the same boat, and wondering how you got on? I'm looking to replace a sky HD box with an 8000. Is picture quality as good?

Thanks

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

twol
10-01-16, 10:29
Jumping in :) ..... Having had both ET8000/10000 running alongside a Sky box through the same Onkyo amp to a panny plasma...... Picture was better on the Xtrend. :)

Ashley69
10-01-16, 10:54
I have ordered my ET8000 for my second Box.(for my Den upstairs). Hope it's as good as the recommendations.:thumbsup:

bluepassat
10-01-16, 12:55
you wont regret it...got mine from the sponsor last week all I can say is WOW...very easy to setup and very fast, menus load instantly

it can take a 2.5 or 3.5 internal hard drive, I have a 640Gb 5400 rpm in mine, the box is silent. the openvix image has every plugin you would want

load of plugins, boot screens, skins, picons all loaded in the image (as im sure you know)

the build quality is excellent

regards

blue

DaMacFunkin
10-01-16, 15:54
I set one up for my sister yesterday morning, it seems like a nice solid box for the price with the option of a third tuner as well and I hope it doesn't give her any grief because that then means I get grief :rolleyes:, but as some one who is used to VU+ boxes I didn't find it did things such as opentv scan or abm scan anywhere near as fast as my solo2 does...
Also the remote is a dog, no a/v button and you can still adjust the volume on the box even when you pair the remote with a TV, I hate that, it has no place.
I tried to set up a solo2 remote with it but as many have documented it just doesn't work.

Sicilian
10-01-16, 16:02
opentv scan or abm scan anywhere near as fast as my solo2 does...
Don't agree about the ABM scan, Opentv EPG DATA is read differently with each brand, dont really make any difference considering it's automated in the background :)

Also the remote is a dog, no a/v button

That's a bit strong lol! Imo far better then the Duo2 remote and many other remotes available with other models, but hey ho, each to their own :)

bluepassat
10-01-16, 18:35
I ran ABM on my xtrend et8000 I didn't like it, much prefer AutoBouquets E2 28.2E By LraiZer.....as that's included in openvix image

jbeer
10-01-16, 20:44
Hi jbeer.

In the same boat, and wondering how you got on? I'm looking to replace a sky HD box with an 8000. Is picture quality as good?

Thanks

Yeah got on really well with the box.

Ordered from the sponsor WoS and arrived the next day, fitted a 2.5" 1TB HDD which was very straight forward.

Picture quality is just as good as sky and the box has a 1080i or 1080p output.

Do I feel the need to revert back to the sky box…hell no

Hope it helps

Danny_Brewer
10-01-16, 21:04
Just what I needed to hear. Next pay day, I will be getting one from WoS. Stef has answered a couple of questions via email, which I appreciated.

I've shown the wife VIX and she's happy. Do you see all the European channels, or just UK freesat? Does it depend on the channel list used?

bluepassat
10-01-16, 21:34
I installed ABM but removed it and replaced it with AutoBouquets E2 28.2E By LraiZer as i only have a fixed dish at 28.2E my setup follows sly numbering

you can setup the tuners to any European satellite from the tuner menu, if you have another fixed or motorised dish

hope this helps

blue

abu baniaz
10-01-16, 22:25
I work on both plugins. I find it amazing when people start pitting both AB 28.2 and ABM against each other. Both are great plugins and ideas are implemented from both of them. There was even a claim that Lraizer's code was used for ABM, wheras it was only his idea that was used. When Andy and Skaman made the reader, that made it into AB 28.2. The developers have a great deal of respect for each other and get along amicably.

As some assertions have been made, it is best to clarify.

ABM follows Sky numbering too.

I got fed up with all the post about AB 28.2 not matching Sky numbering, this is becuse the default used to be to use the Large 1st bouquet. I changed it. I also changed the "add numebring to name" to off as peole werer struggling with SNPicons and and switched off the Swap as well. People complained about the ITV HD not being the local one. Some regions do not have a local ITV HD.

As there have been a few claims that ABM does not follow Sky numbering, we have done the same with ABM too. From next image, the first bouquet on new installs for Sky providers will have the first/main bouquet = FTAHD, the next bouquet will be the Entertainment and will start at 101. This will do away with the claims that ABM does not follow Sky numbering.

Both plugins are user customiseable with some rules. ABM is more customiseable. The one thing that AB 28.2 does over ABM, is that it can run on any TP on 28.2. This is perfect for single tuner users. ABM only takes about 30 seconds anyway, so not a problem either. Sky update things usually on Tuesday and Thusday.

They are both great plugins, enjoy whichever one you want.

jbeer
11-01-16, 00:07
Just what I needed to hear. Next pay day, I will be getting one from WoS. Stef has answered a couple of questions via email, which I appreciated.

I've shown the wife VIX and she's happy. Do you see all the European channels, or just UK freesat? Does it depend on the channel list used?

Only the Freesat channels but not sure if I could get more if I tried

judge
11-01-16, 02:42
Do you see all the European channels, or just UK freesat? Does it depend on the channel list used?

Depends on your sat feeds, not the channel lists used.

Mikebppw
31-01-16, 21:34
Did you have any experience of the box crashing at all??

cactikid
31-01-16, 23:50
you might have to setup your log files from the menu setup and reboot box,when box crashes you have the means to send them your fault codes.