PDA

View Full Version : Cable Tuners

giub1981
22-12-15, 12:25
Hi

I currently have a VU+ Duo box but am thinking of upgrading to a duo2 (or even solo 4k) and have DVB-C tuner installed. I currently use sat for viewing but an thinking of changing to cable as I have a feed with VM so I can access HD channels which I cant with sat.

I currently only have 1 feed coming into the house for my VM Tivo box and from this feed, I am able to watch one channel and record another (record 2 and watch a 3rd). If I do change to a DUO2, would I need to have 2 cable feeds to watch 1 channel and record another (just as you do with sat) or does cable work differently and 1 feed with be able to do this all?

If it does work off one feed, do you have to change any settings for it to watch 1 channel and record another? I read somewhere that a "loop through" is needed. (sorry of the terminology is wrong, I am still learning).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Peterj
22-12-15, 13:54
You can have 1 feed and use the loop through.
You can also have 2 twin dvb-c tuners in a duo2. This way you have 4 tuners. 3 for record, one to watch.

giub1981
22-12-15, 15:00
Thanks for your reply

Just to clarify this (sorry for being thick), with 1 feed and one twin dvb-c tuner, I can watch one channel and record another?

If I get 2 twin dvb-c tuners (and still one feed) I can watch one channel and record 3 anothers? I just need to use a loop through?

If my understanding is correct, that is fantastic :thumbsup:

How does a loop through work and how is it set up?

Thanks

abu baniaz
22-12-15, 15:28
Unlike satellite, all the signal comes down one cable. You can therefore "split/share" the cable. You can do this by splitters or by loop through cables. The Vu + twin DVB-C tuners only have one external connection, the loopthrough between the two tuners (within the module) is done internally.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44799-Loop-RF-out-for-Cable-Terrestrial

giub1981
22-12-15, 15:51
Thanks for that. So something like this will do the job? Split signal into 3 (1 for broadband, 1 for DVB-C tuner 1 and 1 for DVB-C tuner 2)?

DaMacFunkin
22-12-15, 19:53
Maybe, maybe not, because you have TiVo your signal into your house will have been balanced so as not to upset your modem, splitting your connection may cause you loss of some channels and break up on others, but not nessacerily on all of them, in this case you would need a powered splitter.

Peterj
22-12-15, 20:47
The twin dvb-c tuner has also a loop through.
When your signal is good enough, you don't need an external splitter.
When it isn't, you also can use an adjustable line amp (too strong signal is also not good).
This way you can still have just 1 feed to the box.
I have a single dvb-c tuner and a twin dvb-c tuner in my duo2 with 1 feed and used the loop through.

giub1981
22-12-15, 21:47
So if I was to have a twin dvb-c tuner, do you have to do anything to get the loop through working? ( is it just plug and play or is there any configuration that is needed). If the tuner has a loop through built into it, I presume no additional wiring/cabling is needed?

Peterj
22-12-15, 22:50
So if I was to have a twin dvb-c tuner, do you have to do anything to get the loop through working? ( is it just plug and play or is there any configuration that is needed). If the tuner has a loop through built into it, I presume no additional wiring/cabling is needed?

You don't have to do anything. You will get 2 tuner and it is internal connected. Just 1 feed.

abu baniaz
22-12-15, 22:52
About twin tuner module:
1. Has one connection for cabling coming into it.
2. The signal is shared between the two tuners inside the module
3. Has another port for looping out to another module or device.

Using one tuner module.
Options: Only one really.
Use a splitter. Please note: Splitters cause signal loss.
One cable to router.
Another cable from splitter to the twin tuner dvb-c module input.
Configure tuners based on what the wire before the splitter is. Each tuner is independent and shares that signal.

Using more than one twin tuner module.Option 1.
One cable to router.
Another cable from splitter to tuner module 1 input.
Another cable to twin tuner module 2 input.
Configure tuners based on what the wire before the splitter is. Each tuner is independent and shares that signal.

Using more than one twin tuner module.Option 2.
One cable to router.
Another cable from splitter to tuner module 1 input.Loop through cable from "loop/rf out" of tuner module 1 to input of tuner module 2.

giub1981
22-12-15, 23:03
Thanks for the info guys. Very helpful :thumbsup:

ledsam
08-03-16, 13:13
Hi giub1981,

Have you sorted what you are doing?
I'm looking at the same thing and want HD so any info would be great.

giub1981
08-03-16, 21:05
Hi ledsam
Yep I did get mine sorted. Went for a et10000 box and it works a treat. I have one feed coming into the house and have 2 additional tuners which I have a loop through on. I can watch one channel and record 2 others at the same time. Good luck!!